360 Slow Down Light ECU Locatios | FerrariChat

360 Slow Down Light ECU Locatios

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 355Aloha, Nov 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355Aloha

355Aloha Karting

Feb 15, 2004
    Honolulu Hawaii
    Full Name:
    John N
    Aloha All
    I have been looking at the slow down light at start up for 2 years now, can anyone tell me where the 2 ECU,s are located and how to get to them. My 355 ECUs were easy to find and replace, not these, they hid them good
    Mahalo
    John

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    They are under the covers on each side of the engine compartment. Remove the covers and they are right in the middle of each side.

3. 355Aloha

355Aloha Karting

Feb 15, 2004
    Honolulu Hawaii
    Full Name:
    John N
    Thank You, I found them.
    No cracks like in my 355 ECU,s, they look perfect.
    Before I order a new one, I read somthing about a possible ground wire that is sometimes the issues, Where is the bolted to.

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    There is no ground wire issue with the ECU's. Do they have black or green potting material? The updated ECUs have green potting material. You could have bad thermocouples as well. You need to properly diagnose the system.

5. 355Aloha

355Aloha Karting

Feb 15, 2004
    Honolulu Hawaii
    Full Name:
    John N
    I picked up a used ECU from a wrecked. auto yard in LA
    Plug in in to both left and right bank, no change, Slow down lights still came on Blinking after start up
    I also checked temp of the two cats after 5-10 min iboth around 300 DE
    Where do I go next???????

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You can either do a diagnosis by measuring thermocouple and slow-down ECU voltages (there are many threads on this subject). You can use a Ferrari specific diagnostic computer to look at what fault codes are stored to see which engine bank is causing the slow down light and also look at the thermocouple temperatures.
    Or you can do the shotgun approach and install two new ECU's and two new thermocouples.

7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Is the potting material green or black?
    How do you know the used ones were not already knackered?

8. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    I respectfully disagree with Brian above. I think there are known grounding issues with the ECUs, which you can find discussed in this forum. I had similar problems, swapped ECU to no avail, slow down light was coming on when the engine was cold, so it was not the thermocouples. Eventually after diagnosis the dealership ran an extra ground wire to make sure the ground was good, and I have not had the problem since.

Check out this thread. Post 16 has photos of the grounding point for the ECUs:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/help-360-slow-down-light-when-cold-not-ecus-or-thermocouple-need-big-help.204156/

9. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I think you need to be careful buying these off ebay because there are so many variants of them. They are different for model years and global markets and also for F1 vs gated. The JN auto tech Aron should be able to help you. That's really our only place to take our cars but thank goodness we have an awesome tech there that cares about our Ferraris. Let me know if you need the contact info.

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  10. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    John: I agree with Kevin above. Take it to Aron. He’s the one who sorted out my Go Slow issue above. Good luck!

11. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I have worked exclusively on Ferrari's for almost 30 years and have yet to see a grounding issue with the slow down lights on a 360. That doesn't mean that there is not a ground issue. If you read my last post, I suggested that he properly diagnose the slow-down light system (rather than just throw parts at it).
    Every electrical system in a Ferrari (or any car for that matter) needs power and ground. The first part of diagnosing the system is to check power and ground, and then inputs (from the thermocouples) and outputs ( from the ECU's).
    The ECU's are a known problem area, as they have almost a 100% failure rate for the black potted versions. The green ECU's are better, but can still fail, as well as the thermocouples. As I said before, you can do a proper diagnosis to determine the exact cause of the fault, or just replace everything with new parts and keep your fingers crossed.

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  12. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Where are you getting your information from? Ferrari has used the same part# 179278 catalyst temperature ECU for every year/version/market of the 360 (coupe, spider, CS and Challenge), as well as the later 456M, 355 2.7/5.2, 550, 575, F50 and Enzo.

13. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Opps I thought the discussion was about the Engine ECU's! Sorry there are a bunch of variants of those for sure. I wasn't aware of the part called the catalyst ECU. I have had my engine side covers off before but did not notice these. What do they do if you don't mind putting some detail in here?

14. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Ferrari started using the slow down light system on cars that had catalytic converters (first on 308GTB). The system uses a thermocouple installed in each catalyst that measures the temperature of the catalyst and sends a corresponding voltage signal to the catalyst ECU. If the temperature exceeds a certain value a "Slow Down" warning light is illuminated on the dash. On later cars, the signal would be sent to the motronic engine ECU which would cut fuel injection/ignition to the overheating engine bank. The idea was to keep an engine miss-fire that would send raw fuel into the catalyst from causing the catalyst to get so hot as to melt down or set the car on fire.
    The motronic ECU's in the newer cars (like a 360) will have a memory of a catalyst overheat event so you can tell which bank is causing the problem, as the dash display doesn't tell you which bank is overheating. Older cars, like a Testarossa would have two slow down lights, one for bank 1-6 and one for bank 7-12.
    The funny thing is if it was an ignition miss-fire causing the catalyst to overheat, slowing down would not help, you had to shut the engine off to keep it from melting down.

Bob in Makiki and Kevin Rev'n like this.
  15. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Brian: Thanks for sharing your knowledge and insights. It is really helpful to have someone of your experience participating in the forum. Thank you!