360 "slow down"warning. | FerrariChat

360 "slow down"warning.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Keith Darby, Jan 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    2001 360f1. Slow down warning comes on immediately after start up. OBD2 indicates bank 1 sensor 2 low voltage out of spec. Checked resistance of both probes wire to wire and each to ground. All readings same. I replaced bank 1 ECU with used part but warning still exists. Also swapped ECU to bank 2. Am I correct that bank 1 is right side ? I live a long distance from a sd2 or 3. Is there a procedure to reset warning without a sd2? Does bulletin FNA-20 (Drive cycle procedure for resetting readiness codes) apply ? Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    Keith

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    There are some good right ups on the sdl system in the 355 section by dr bob.
    There is only a couple things from what i remember.
    If you are getting immediately then it is either the thermocouple probe or the sd ecu

Bank 1 is passenger side on a american car.
    Do a search in 355 once you understand its a simple system

3. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    #3 Keith Darby, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Thanks for the reply. I guess am not savvy enough on this site to properly search for answers. I found 537 pages on 355 section. I searched with no results. I also felt it had to be the ecu or the thermocouple probe but cannot seem to narrow it down to which. I really hate to throw parts at a problem without service information but it would actually be less expensive than transportation to my nearest service facility.

Thanks again,
    Keith

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Change the probes from side to side

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I will try to find a like

6. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    I just found jevs test procedure. Still found nothing from Dr. bob. I am armed with lots of info now.

Thanks,
    Keith

7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I could have quoted wrong guy still trying to find a link

8. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    Thanks. That last lead directed me to a ton of info. I think I will be able to cure problem now.
    Keith

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The best way to cure the problem. Without guessing is probbing the outputs and see what is happeneing in real time.
    That being said there are lots of good ways to narrow it downthat i th8nk are discussed in the thread.
    Good luck

10. F60SA

F60SA Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    check fuel pressure

11. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    Ok, I cured my SDL problem on my 360 today. You do not need a SD2 or 3 tester or an OBD2 even though both are very helpful. I also made notes to possibly help others. I used logic and common sense. First of all if your SDL comes on after miles of driving it could be legit. (actual engine/ lean condition causing excessive heat) The good thing is that this car has 2 of each component to compare. Step 1) remove left and right covers in engine compartment. 2) visually check wiring, plugs, and connectors on thermocouple ECUs. 3) check input voltage to ECUs with key on. Green (positive) and black (negative) should be battery voltage. Black to purple/ white should be about 5.67 volts. TC plug outlet should be about .832 volts.(with 4 prong plug reattached) 4) check resistance through thermocouples. Should be about 4 ohms cold.
    5) remove probes from cats. With all other connections plugged in back probe black to purple white (signal to ECU that causes SDL to appear) should be about .51 volts cold. Heat probes with propane torch (taking care not to set your car on fire). Voltage should increase rapidly to over 2 volts as probes turn red.
    If any of your readings are out of range replace defective component. Mine was defective bank 1 ECU. After part is replaced drive car 5-10 miles and SDL should go away.

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Once you inderstand its pretty easy. I keep a spare both ecu and thermocouple on long trips just in case
    Glad you got it sorted

Keith Darby likes this.
  13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I replaced both of mine with the Gothspeed versions, said to have much better potting compound and should last the life of the car.

14. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Except goth does not make them any more

15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    What?!?

16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Not going to speak for goth but many of his things are nla at ricambi as well.
    I got the last of a few of the items