360 Spider depreciation | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Spider depreciation

Discussion in '360/430' started by solly, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    I experienced nothing like this. I got on the list in Sept of 2000 for my 360 and at that time I had never owned a Ferrari. I was over 2 years away on the waiting list, but I was put on and slowly made my way towards the top.
    My dealership valued my business as much as anybody else's. I don't know how it is at other dealerships around the country, but if they're not taking names anymore, it should only be because production will end before your name comes up. If you haven't yet, try inquiring about getting on the 360 replacement list. It's probably already 100-200+ names deep by now, but it's worth checking into. Or of course you could get on the list for a new Lambo, which is probably made up of a Post-it note or two... :)

2. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Hey Jeff,

Did I see you on Maple road Saturday night about 6:30PM? Your car sounded great, I'm just counting the days till my Stradale comes in. What's going on with you? Shoot me an e-mail.

Paul

3. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris

Lol, sorry, I did not and would not know that, cuz they would not sell me one.

4. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So did you pay $20k premium or no?

5. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    LOL, yep, that was me. I put about 100 miles on the car that beautiful day. How much longer until your CS comes in? I'm familiar with the Spider you previously owned. Saw it in front of "220" several times and loved your personalized plate (racing seats too). Nice job owning that thing for 2 and 1/2 years for free. :) I saw a yellow Spider here in Northville today. That thing still puts me in shock when I see it on the road. I ordered Azzuro California for mine, which should be coming in July or so.

6. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I tried to do that in beginning of 2001.
    I went to 3 places, Ferrari of Long Island, Miller Motor in CT, and WWoC in Spring Valley, none of them would do me on list, even with me showing seriousness by handing them a deposit check right there.
    I am not sure how long the list was back then, although I do believe it was not long enough to be out of production run.

I met and spoke to a gentleman from LI, who went to a bimmerfest at Habberstad with his red Enzo, he told me that it is typical that dealers(at least those in tri-state area) do not take order from 1st time buyer, they only take care of repeat customers, and if they have spare cars they sell with mark-up. A 1st time buyer's only choice is to buy from flipper at a premium.

7. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    What a shame. Maybe the reason I haven't experienced that is becuse the dealership here in Michigan is only a few years old. They run a great operation up there and seem to be very fair with all customers. I wish I could recommend something for you to do, but if all 3 are stonewalling you, there doesn't seem like any other logical options then to get an aftermarket car.

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    My local dealer has also stopped taking deposits on 360's their list is longer than they will ever be able to get cars for, and they do not as of yet have a list for the replacement car. I have said this before when this topic has been brought up and I'll say it again. I bought my car to drive it (drove into the office today with the top down, makes the day that much better), enjoy it and to clean it alot (it's black). If I was worried about what it was going to be worth, I'd be driving a Honda. I hope to see more threads about what a great drive someone had, or something new product they found that might interests all us us.
    I was having a pretty crapping day a week or so ago, so you know what I went home right in the middle of the day, drooped the top and went for a ride, and you know I felt great, went back to the office, solved the problems and ended up feeling good at the end of the day. I can not put a dollar value on that.

9. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Carnut,

You are right. There are way too many threads about values and resale prices of the 360 and not enough about driving and other fun stuff.

10. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    So true -

I for one will be happy when 360 prices come down as I am looking. They havent as of yet. This topic is such a dead horse that has been beaten to a pulp.

11. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the prices i have quoted are out the door, including gas guzzeler tax anddest. fees..excluding state taxs...I personally saw the current price list send by ferrari of north america!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

12. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I love these guys that say the Spider has a $160K MSRP. Have you forgotten options, freight, gas tax, etc.? Wow, get real.

13. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If you really wanna get techinal, I said 160's. With freight and gas tax, it is ~$169xxx, still in 160's.
    So, give me a break, ok?

14. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris

I agree. If I can buy a 360 at list, I can care less if it's only worth $50k next year. I love the car and buy it to enjoy, not to invest.
    Although my point is, it does suck that I am not able to buy it at list. The difference of 80k in markup, is not small amount in my eyes.

15. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I don't think I've ever seen a Ferrari 360 without any options on it. You can't but a new car for $169xxx, so I don't see the point in quoting those numbers. Plus, in 04 there is a significant price increase, so these numbers are no longer valid no matter how you slice them.

16. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Many of you are ABSOLUTELY right!! Although i have "lost" 60-70k, I have loved every minute of driving the car for 2 years. Unfortunately the season for a soft top in NY is short(5-6 months), so it just sits around in Fla. all winter waiting for me to visit my folks.

Sorry, but I was raised in a house where my parents went through the Depression, and although I have become financially comfortable I still get the "Jewish guilt" thing in the back of my head about wasting money. It's decreasing as I get older, but definitely still there.

Anyway, I now need a 4-seater, looking at 456M's so I can take my kids along. They're getting too big to both ride in the front passenger seat together. That's the only reason i'm selling the spider.

17. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Rest assured, the 360 will continue to depreciate until it reaches about 45 percent of its origininal MSRP. So if MSRP was $220,000, for example, the depreciation curve won't flatten until the car trades for $100,000 +/-. How do I know this? Take a look at the history of all Ferrari V8's and they follow my formula pretty close - 308's, 328's, 348's, etc..

If you want a Ferrari that DOESN'T depreciate, follow this simple rule:

"Buy the Ferrari of your dreams...but only after it's 10 years old."

18. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    this mathematical formula is base on the assumption that all 8 cyl. ferraris were an equal improve over the pervious model...this is not the case!!!! and for driving enjoyment, there is no lquestion the newer cars are better!

19. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    excuse the typo spelling errors... i was in a hurry!!!!

20. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere

No, my mathematical conclusion is based on historical FACT, not an "assumption". Test it. It's right excepting occasional inliers and outliers. Each and every latest and greatest model is undoubtedly the "best ever".