360 Spider vs. 430 Spider | Page 3 | FerrariChat

360 Spider vs. 430 Spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by raptorduck, Mar 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    I have the V8 version. The V8 R8 is almost 10 seconds faster than the 430 coupe in the SportAuto Wet Handling Test (1:29 vs. 1:38)! In the dry, the 430 is slightly faster on most handling tracks and slightly slower in some, but overall the 430 is faster.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/comparisons/ferrari_f430-vs-audi_r8_42_fsi_quattro.html

I agree that about the driver thing. I do not think I can beat a 430 in the dry in my R8 even if I am a better driver as my skills are too limited to push my R8 to the limit even though I have driven R8's on the track at the R8 driving school. I am taking another track school this week (Aston Martin) and have taken a number but need a few hundred more before I can consider myself a 'real' driver so give me another 10 yrs or so.

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Funny how that works. I'm in a similar place and completely agree!

3. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    It's got a better camera!!

4. Chupee

Chupee Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2009
    Between Trust funds
    Full Name:
    Blair
    THat is hysterical! Bad analogy.. How about "Everyone that is married could have been single BUT not everyone who is single could have gotten married" now doesn't that look silly?

5. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Your analogy doesn't make sense in the way his does. Remember, everyone can marry someone, but not everybody can afford to marry a woman of the elite class.

6. Pud

Pud Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    What would a fair price be for a 30k miles '06 F430 Plain Jane Coupe (gated) that listed new for $170k

Thanks

7. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Talking from personal experience a mint condition 100% original paint on every panel including the front bumper, up to date on services, no mechanical issues, good tires... I would pay $110K after a solid PPI, and if the car was just major serviced and a new clutch installed (not that it may need one but I think it could need one soon) then $115K.

That price I think is fair for years 2005 and 2006 F430 cambio manuale and I wouldn't pay a penny more than that for an F1 shifter, but that's just my preference.

8. Pud

Pud Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Thanks for the price check, I will be looking at it soon.

Patrick

9. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    I still can't make up my mind. I drove off this morning in my 360 Spider and as the wheels spun from first just from pulling out of my community I grumbled "the 430 is supposed to be more grippy, I need to move to a 430." Then later as it did its thing from 1st to 2nd I grumbled "the 430 is supposed to have a smoother F1 transmission, I need to move to a 430."

But then I stopped to get Starbucks and there was a red 430 spider parked in a handicapped space top down. I parked right next to it, got out and walked around both cars. Alone, I think the 430 spider is a beautiful car, with agressive menacing lines. But next to the rounder, softer, more blended lines of the 360, the 430 is not nearly as pretty from some angles and not as pretty from others. I used to like the front view of the 360 least, but I dislike the 430's front view more. Yet dislike is far to strong a word as I like it just fine really. I also prefer the rear view of the 360 to that of the 430. From the side, it is almost a dead heat, but the 360 looks a bit more flowing to me.

As for the interior, this is where the 430 clearly wins. So still a close call for me, too close to call to make up my mind. That car had the exact same interior color combo and seats as mine, but it looked more complex and current and stylish than that of my 360.

So alas, I am once again struggling between performance and asthetics and the decision to pay a $30k premium to sacrafice one in favor of the other. And I am choosing from a Victoria's Secret model that is a 9 vs. one that is a 7, but younger and fresher. Cursed be indecision!

10. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    You car decision is all subjective and +1 on interior comments and the outside is 100% subjective, I like the 430 "sharpness" better, but the 360's curves sitting by itself is awesome.

...but for the model; take the 9! ...dont worry in time she will be a 7.

11. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    As someone who did not have the option to purchase a 430 in 2003, the 360 spider was it for me. I have updated the entire aluminum interior and all the sticky bits to CF. It makes a world of difference in the interior appearance. The 430 and even the Enzo will subcome to the sticky bits that are cross platform compliant. I have even updated the wheels to the 430 5 spoke. So yes I have a few less HP than a 430 but here in SoCal the traffic puts both on a even keel.

I say drive both, admire both and purchase the one that makes you feel the best. In the end its all about the recurring wow factor of knowing there is an fcar in your garage.

12. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    My thoughts:

1. Wheel spin: The F430 can better control it b/c it has a ediff. If you want a computer nanny to restrict power artificially, then it's great, but personally, I want a car to have just enough power that I can break wheel grip and power slide if I want to. The 360 definately has enough power for that. Avoiding wheel spin is perfectly achieveable by a little less flex from your right toes ;). It's not fun to let the car do everything for you, or you'd end up having a GTR.

2. Shifting - I think your 360 is a 2003/04? If so, disregard probably, but compared to a 1999-2002 TCU, the CS TCU is just pure magic. I was driving my 360 last night to the movie theater, and could not stop thinking how perfectly I think it shifts now. It's very crisp, very smooth, great line take off (and on a 77% worn clutch too) and the downshift blip blip blip across the entire rev band is better than sublime. It's the best mod that can be done to a 360 with an older TCU, especially considering you can save the stock TCU and later sell the CS TCU at a higher price than you bought it years later. Can't say that for other mods.

3. Looks - I agree with your assessment. Both F430 and 360 are beautiful, subtle differences, but I'd be very hard pressed to switch between either model based on exterior looks alone. If you want to update, put F430 wheels on the 360 and I think that makes it look 100% as modern on the exterior as the F430 and the curves keep it even prettier. The interior can be updated with carbon fiber, yellow tach, ect. CF is pricy stuff though.

They are both supermodels for sure. If it was just an issue of liquidity and opportunity cost, sure why not, but figuring in immediate lost value of taxes paid, PPI/inspection/shipping/acquisition costs, potentially having to sell your 360 cheaper than you'd want to move it in a timely fashion, ect, I'm really voting against this change you are considering. If it was a 16M or Scuderia you wanted, and the $ was not a major issue, it'd be all for it. As is, I think it's too pricey of a switch for the added value you appear to possibly get.

Regardless, good luck. You have one of the nicest stables already on Fchat for sure.

13. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    Great comments. Thanks! I actually thought about the wheels, but decided to keep the 2 piece ones on my 360 as I like the looks of them better for that car.

14. anxpert

anxpert Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Oceanside, CA
    Full Name:
    Enrique Mar
    Moving up through a logical sequence of models 328 - ( 348 SKIP ) -355 - 360 Spider , I also considered moving into a 430 or Scuderia. Nevertheless, the appeal of having multiple models to drive became a better option for me.

Having found a " reasonably priced " CS at auction, the combined cost of both vehicles equaled the cost of a 430, hence my decision to convert my Spider to full CS specs and have an unlimited amount of spares for quite a long time as well as the option to rebuild the CS.

To me, the 360 has that nice balance of true sports car / exotic.