360 Spyder at MSRP | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Spyder at MSRP

Discussion in '360/430' started by Napolis, Dec 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Maybe he said he was best friends with a certain someone rebuilding a P4 - perhaps?

:)

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    No this one surprized me. I really think cars are becoming more available at least in NY.

3. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Napolis,

is your friend anyone famous ?

4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    No.

5. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I propose we run a little test. With nearly 3000 members of the FChat community, we must have every U.S. dealer covered. I'm going to drop in to FoSF today and report back with availability/waiting list status of 360 Modena and Spider. If FChatters from other areas would do the same, even with a phone call, we should be able to get an accurate picture of current availablity and price. This may be of limited value, since Ferrari dealers can't sell new cars to buyers out of their area, but it should still be of some interest.

Gary

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Gary
    We're replowing the same ground. Last week a friend, with some but not a lot of history with F or this specific authorized east coast F dealer walked in a bought a new 360 Spyder for MSRP for delivery in march. This is fact. It 's a change.

7. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Well, not really. The whole intent of my post was to assess the nation-wide situation. I know from your post that ONE person walked into ONE dealership and bought a 360 at MSRP with minimal wait. I wonder what's happening everywhere else. It was your information that prompted my post. Unless you know that EVERY dealer in the country now has Spiders and Modenas that they are selling at MSRP with minimal wait, in which case I'll delete my post.

Gary

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Gary
    Let's get specific.
    The price of 360's is beginning to and will continue to fall.
    Anyone who pays up for one is IMHO making a big mistake.
    Hey when YHOO was at 250 I predicted on CnnFn that it would drop to 7.
    I was wrong. It only dropped to 10.
    Maybe I'm wrong about this as well.

9. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    Gary,

I suspect that calling any f-dealer or visiting to casually inquire about purchasing a 360 @ MSRP will yield a dramatically different answer than walking into one and saying, "I have cash and want to buy today".

As a result of this, I don't really see how having all of the members call/visit a dealership is going to result in an accurate representation of the nationwide 360 market.

Greg A

10. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    no you're not

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I would pass unless you can get it a few thousand under sticker. They're just making too many of them to justify paying sticker for them.

12. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Guys, the prices will ultimately go down. nothing last for ever but all i can tell you is that ferrari of Long Island has a waiting list of over 20 spyders to be delivered. i would not have believed it unless i saw it with my own eyes. Again nothing will last forever!

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I can only speak for my local dealer, they have over 70 names still on the waiting list, all of which would gladdly pay sticker for a car. My car came in three weeks ago and I was offered by more than one of those people on that list and decent profit to sell my car to them. I can not believe with waiting lists for these cars someone with no history with a dealer could just walk a bypass all the people the dealer has on the list.

Sorry, I do not by that, I will say yes the glory days people paying $300,000 for a spider are gone, but the days of walking into a dealer and getting a brand new 360 for list or below without being on the dealers list or having a history are not here either.

14. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    So can I assume you advised your friend to pass on the Spider at MSRP and he ignored you? :)

Gary

15. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Totally agree -

I also agree with James - over the next 1-2 years as the Ford GT, the Bentley GT, the Gallardo, and the 360 replacement hit the marketplace - all essentially in the same price range, the prices for 360's will gradually decline. However, availability is still an issue and the intangibles associated with Ferrari is still an issue. So dont expect 360's for $80K in the next 2 years!! IMHO

16. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    We've obviously got a disconnect here...the world according to Napolis (who is clearly quite a guy, appears on CNN and has raced at LeMans, and no, I'm not being sarcastic) and the world most of the rest of us mortals see, where you can't walk in and buy a Coupe, much less a Spider, at MSRP with little or no wait.

Gary

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Gary
    I've never considered cars as an investment. Cars to me are something that if you're lucky enough to be able to afford are something to buy and enjoy. I've never sold a car I bought to "collect" and I never will.
    As for the one's I use as a daily driver I buy them for MSRP or less drive them until they're done and put them down. Take my TR as an example. I bought it for MSRP at a time some were paying 2X msrp. Flipping it never entered my mind. I drove it for 115k miles and when my mechanic felt it was done he sold it while I was on vacation as he knew I'd probably restore it and he wanted to save me from myself.
    As for my friends I never argue or judge. One of my friends has 2 Enzo's and 9 360's. Hey you only live once. What ever makes you happy is fine by me. (My cars have raced at LeMans. I've driven there at speed but not during the 24. My racing days are long over and they were never serious)

18. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It's amazing all the talk about these mythical, unnamed, dealers on one coast or another. What are the names of these authorized dealers who are selling spiders at MSRP? Why be secret? It's not like they're doing something bad.

19. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Napolis:

Are you able to give out the dealer's name?

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Miller. Hey this may be a one off event or there may be more to this than my friend told me but the yellow spyder (03 F1 challange grills) at Carrage House for 207 was in sunday's NYT and that seems a bit down to me as well. Calling them won't get you a car at MSRP tomorrow but I still think IF you have history with a dealer and want one I'd go over in person and find out what the real story is. No more, no less, nor did I ever say it was only that I was told this and I felt it was worth checking out.

21. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This us spider has 3k miles a buy it now price of 191,500 and I have seen it listed on here at least 3 times with no takers. Reputable dealer, so if demand was that high why wouldn't it have been snapped up by now? Not everyone has to have a new one so I guess supply is catching up with demand.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2447712456&category=6212

I would be curious to see the percentage of a "list" that bails when it comes time to put up or shut up. I would guess its pretty high. After a year or two when the "new model Ferrari novelty" starts to wear off I would guess many people change their minds.

22. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Jeff,

The car you have mentioned is an 01 with very few options, daytona seats and shield and the warranty almost or is expired by now. the sticker on the car should be around $180K so not a bargain at $191K imho.

23. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Its a 2001 - close to a 3 year old car and it is still $191,500

24. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    in my opinion these are the prices spyders are comanding these days:

01 $190-$200K
    02 $200-$215K
    03 $215-$235K

Again depending on who the seller is , dealers VS private sellers.

25. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    So if you could walk into a dealer and buy a 2004 at MSRP, you'd be crazy not to, right?

Gary