360 Spyder at MSRP | Page 3 | FerrariChat

360 Spyder at MSRP

Discussion in '360/430' started by Napolis, Dec 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I'd check out a used Murcie. IMHO it's a lot more car for the same $ but that's another issue. (Those are available) I do think that before you buy a 360 you should drive both. I realize you may want a Spyder but if you don't you should consider a used Murcie at least test drive one.

2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I was in FoSF today for a short visit. Interestingly enough, they had a white 360 Spider and a white TR. Never seen the Spider in white before, can't say I liked it much. Didn't have my camera. Anyway, I asked Evan if a serious buyer walked in the door today, what would they quote for delivery on a 360, and he said 2 yrs for a Spider, 18 mos for a Coupe. FWIW.

Gary

3. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Sports Car Magazine, which tracks actual selling prices (as opposed to asking prices), and has a very broad information base (auctions, dealers, private sales) quotes the following for 360's. Unfortunately they don't break it down by year, but you can still see the ranges.

360 Modena 99- 04 $135,000- $170,000
    360 Modena Spyder (US cars) 99- n/a $225,000- $250,000
    360 Modena Challenge 99- n/a $115,000- $135,000

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have been offered over 200k by a dealer for my '01 spider with 9k miles and fully documented service history. It also has a warranty until 12/04. So unless someone has a very special connection, or is very lucky, they are not getting a used spider at current new MSRP, much less a new one. Obviously strange things can happen, but it is not the rule of thumb. If you are one of those rare and lucky individuals able to buy one at a substantial discount to general market price then good for you. But don't make the rest of us nuts thinking this type of deal is widely available.

4. whimike

whimike Karting

Jul 26, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    I think the dynamics of the market are quite simple here. Every single 360 being produced today is spoken for, i.e. there are people that are on the waiting list that has specicially spec'd each car coming in to their personal prefence. I don't believe any Ferrari dealers are specing their own car to put on the floor, are they? So, with this mindset the ONLY way somebody is walking in off the street and buying a brand-new 360 is if the person on the waiting list that spec'd that specific car bailed on the deal.

The question this is how many people are bailing? When a 360 Spider can be had for $180k retail and can be immediately flipped for $220k+, even if the person decided not to own the car there are a fair amount that would just buy the car to flip it. So, that narrows down the bailers to those that simply don't have any money or don't care about making money flipping it.

It is reasonable to think that as the model comes to its end more people might bail on their car. But, still most Ferrari dealers have long waiting lists with no end in sight. Walking into a Ferrari dealer and getting either a coupe or spider at retail is the exception by far, not the rule.

- Michael