360: Taking Care of 17 Years Worth of Wear | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360: Taking Care of 17 Years Worth of Wear

Discussion in '360/430' started by G. Pepper, Nov 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    #26 Nachtfalter, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    New mounts, clutch, belt, seals, and head gasket?..... Sure needs a lot of work for a car they were asking crazy money for.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  2. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Yeah definitely

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Doing it all at once? That takes all the fun out of ownership :D

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I replaced some ecu's in my 456M that were quite pricy. One for the door locks and another for the a/c. What do the thermocouple ecu's do?

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Infamous "Slow Down" indicator. Reads the temperature of the Catalytic convertor. When they get old, they go faulty and falsely indicate the cat is overheating. They engine bay behind the panels, one per side. IIRC one of the most common "gremlins" on this board. Just being snarky with this. :) Do these if you get the slowdown light and it's not a bad coil or plug.

FYI. While your at it replace the coils if not done before anything else. They WILL break down because of the heat and cause a misfire and dump gas into the exhaust. They won't throw a CEL when failing early. I suspect that early failure undetected is what causes the precut failure.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Ah yes, I've read plenty of those threads. I'll ask Jim about it, thanks. I believe 456/550/575 also develop that problem.

7. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    Unless there are large chunks missing, the undertray can be easily repaired with a fiberglass patch kit.

8. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    +1, but I think he is after concourse level here. It really is a special car and I understand his thinking.

I just am not sure why he needs head gaskets. That adds a significant level of complexity to the repairs. For my edification, I’d love to know what symptom/finding triggered that diagnosis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f355spider and 02360spider like this.
  9. redcarz

redcarz Rookie

Apr 17, 2007

10. redcarz

redcarz Rookie

Apr 17, 2007
    where did you find the cs exhaust ? thx

11. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    More ignorance. What makes it a “sunroof”? Don’t exactly see one in the pic.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    This is it:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Gr. Martin

daveyator, Drestless and G. Pepper like this.
  13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I wish I could remember how Jim described it, but there is s symptom that can be seen with the naked eye. That's the best I can do without talking to him again.

14. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Great to see you giving her new life in the back to OEM project. I applaud the effort. Question is will you then put miles on her or sell her for profit and then start another project?

15. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    This is almost how I would have ordered the car from the factory, so I'm going to keep it. Although I'm going to show it, I'm also not afraid to drive it and enjoy it.

16. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Dealer had it in stock. The only NOS one they had!

17. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Here's the latest update. Everything is apart and ready for cleaning. Any of you guys ever have your 360 disassembled this far?

The good news, the compression leak down was great except for one cylinder. That was an obvious easy fix as a bit of the pre-cat that was failing was stuck under the valve lip. Also, the traces of oil Jim saw around the head gasket was from oil that got into the valley when someone didn't seat the oil filter properly. I'm replacing the head gaskets anyway, so no biggie there, but one of you wanted to know what the symptom was. Bits of the disintegrated pre-cat were stuck here and there, but a common problem that is easily fixed just by cleaning.

I AM LOOKING FOR A PAIR OF EXHAUST MANIFOLDS, Y2K OR NEWER, FROM A CAR WITH LESS THAN 10K MILES. PRE-CATS MUST BE PERFECT. TOP DOLLAR PAID.

On to the photos!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Once everything is squeaky clean, it all goes back together. Oh, they had a new kit to go with my 360 spare tire with the jack and everything!

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  18. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Good advice,especially if you intend to keep it awhile, which it seems from the other thread that you do. Its a great looking car, and very special as optioned.

Merlin Auto Group and G. Pepper like this.
  19. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin

Wow, that is pretty far in there. I can't imagine very many owners have been here. I am thinking you will get a nice X-mas card from that shop! ;-)

I'm 360 Canuck and G. Pepper like this.
  20. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The car is coming back together:
    I have managed to secure two sets of headers, one 19K mile set, and one 6K mile set, so I'm good to go there. Plus the rest of a 360 exhaust - cats, can, and tips - for free! Just had to spend a day driving from San Antonio to Dallas and back, but it was a fun trip, actually. Got to meet an f-chatter and snagged a ride in a GT-R! The launch feature is quite impressive! In addition, I now have ALL the property: The red bag with car cover, seat covers, and steering wheel cover; tool kit, spare tire, spare kit with jack, and even the bag that the sunroof goes in! I thought that last item would be impossible to find.

The last item I need is a stock head unit for the stereo. I'll put up a new WANTED notice for that.

This is going to be about $30K, BTW, but the drivetrain is nicely restored now. Stage two will be the suspension: Bearings, bushings, and brakes. Not nearly as much money as this one, and I'm going to wait a year or so and just enjoy the car for a while.

21. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    What is a stock head unit worth?

22. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I seriously have no idea. I'm planning to research that to put up a wanted ad.

23. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Its all worth the effort and $$$. Why wouldnt it be, youre the one who is going to drive and enjoy it.

G. Pepper likes this.
  24. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    An OEM 360 head-unit is likely quite affordable. So many 360s, and may people have upgraded their stereo.

In pursuit of perfection, you should start look for a luggage set - color needs to match interior. Not always easy to find - been looking myself for some time, but for other models.

Work looks thorough and impressive - will be quite the car when done!

G. Pepper likes this.
  25. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    George if you want one I have an OEM head unit... Let me get a picture of it later.

Don't worry about the $$$.. I got it for cheap..

carguyjohn350 and G. Pepper like this.