360: Taking Care of 17 Years Worth of Wear | Page 5 | FerrariChat

360: Taking Care of 17 Years Worth of Wear

Discussion in '360/430' started by G. Pepper, Nov 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    All new coils and a new throttle motor. Car is in shape enough that I'm taking it on day drives now. As it comes together, I'm taking it on longer and longer trips. Should be ready for an overnighter in a couple of months, perfect timing for Texas Hill Country Wildflower Season. Mason, TX is kind of the hub for that, if you want to do it.

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Glad I could help...amazing how much $$$ one could save with a bit of legwork..,
    I was amazed at the difference the new coils made. I have been preparing to go back to stock exhaust and cats for the past couple months because the current set up was just too "much" . After replacing all my coils, the difference was so noticeable that I have decided against it.

G. Pepper likes this.
  3. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    3 day shipping ! DHL air included in the price, awesome service. Green spark plug company on EBay.

4. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Had the fan relays replaced as I noticed they stopped coming on and the car got hot, so that's done. And finally tracked down the problem causing the exhaust-related CEL. Wasn't the exhaust at all, just a loose plug in the wiring harness sending spotty juice to the right bank ECU. At least all my exhaust components are new now. :)

Now I'm ready for an overnighter. Think I'll go up to see Palo Duro Canyon, as I've never been.

tifoso2728 and whatheheck like this.
  5. Trouts10

Trouts10 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Richard Heilman
    #105 Trouts10, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    I own the other MT yellow one with sunroof. Yes, black Daytonas with yellow piping. I've had it since November 2015 and paid a premium for it but it was a one-owner local California car and is well-sorted with most of the factory options you would want. Has basically been trouble free except for a battery change. It is definitely a looker and I can't begin to tell you how many people walk up to it to have their photos taken alongside it. I'm wondering if yours was the one originally offered by IAG at the same time I purchased mine?

6. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    You're that guy with the other yellow sunroof stick car. Mine has a tan non-Daytona interior, silver calipers, and no shields. So yours has a black Daytona interior with yellow piping; does it have shields and red or yellow calipers? That's a great spec regardless. I'm doing a California driving vacation probably next year. We should get together and photograph our cars in the same place at the same time, like on the PCH or something.

My car went from dealer to dealer for a while. It needed quite a few things (An understatement), but now the drivetrain and electricals are perfect. Had it out just yesterday.

7. Trouts10

Trouts10 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Richard Heilman
    I'm pretty sure yours must have been the one that Stuart had at IAG when I bought mine from him. Funny thing (well, not actually funny) was that they acquired the car from Ferrari of Los Angeles who shipped it to them in Florida just about a month before I bought it; so I had to pay $2k to have it shipped back to California.

I had the car in the Montecito Car Classic a couple of years ago and a fellow walked up to me who said it looked a lot like the Modena he owned; as it turns out, he was up in Santa Barbara for the weekend from Malibu and it WAS his car that he had sold to FOLA back in July of that year. He had specially ordered it from the Ferrari factory with the options he specified and said it was well-maintained and never had any accidents or other issues. FOLA gave him $80k for it and I can tell you I paid A LOT more than that from IAG (at least FOLA did a complete major service at a cost of $4500 before shipping it to IAG). Of course, that was at the top of the market back in November of 2015 and things seem to have dropped a bit since then.

As far as options other than I already mentioned, it has factory shields, Challenge grills, six-cd changer, Tubi and all keys, covers, tool kit, service records, etc. The brake calipers are black, but I like that color matched to the yellow body color. It came with the starfish wheels but I purchased a second set of modulars that are on the car now. From all the research I've been able to do, it does appear only about 22 of these MT models were made with the sunroof and about 17 of these made it to America as U.S. spec cars with two in the Gialla Modena color. I think two or three of the MT sunroof vehicles have been totalled, so not many around, for sure. We should consider ourselves lucky in that regard and I have no intention of selling "Bella 6" for a long time.

Give me a shout when you're coming out this way. I agree that it would be fun to get photos of our "birds of a feather" together. Best, Richard

G. Pepper likes this.
  8. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Awesome info, thanks!

According to Enver, who is sales manager at Ferrari of SA, there were 22 North American sunroof 360's, and, "about half" were manuals. Another f-chatter took one of those to Japan, which makes 21. I bought a sunroof panel from a totaled Pozzy Blue F1 car, so that makes 20 max left in the US and Canada. Only two yellow sunroof stick cars, so we have the market cornered. :)

I will surely contact you when I head out to Cali. My BFF and his wife live in Hollywood, and I'm going to spend a weekend at their place and then head up the coast.

9. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    So I did the Palo Duro Canyon overnighter. The car was perfect. Nominal temps and performance from 67 to 90 degrees F.

The A/C is frigid with the rebuild, but the temp sensor was keyholed, so it cuts out from time to time. Perfect on the way home.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I have not read entire thread . In this case , where you one start ? I want to start with all bushings but other than factory( madly expensive and inferior) there are no other bushing company that I know. If anyone knows different inform me

11. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Sorry I missed this reply, but I don't know the answer.

Okay, this year I did the suspension and some other minor things:

01] The old brake disks were grooved, so they were replaced.
    02] New brake pads and fluid.
    03] Joints and bushings checked, and all are fine.
    04] New Michelin PSS tires installed, and alignment done.
    05] The shifter bushing from Ricambi was installed, and the linkage was cleaned and lubed.
    06] The air horn kit from Ricambi was also installed.
    07] I replaced the rear light panel that had been drilled for a backup cam with a perfect yellow used one I bought from a member.
    08] Located an NOS spare tire kit - already had the space saver spare tire (It also worked with my 456M) - and had that installed.
    09] The climate control temperature sensor had a key shoved into it - same as with my 456M! - so the AC was intermittent; that was replaced.
    10] A frustrating slow leak of the coolant was traced to a dried out seal, and that was repaired.

The car is nearly 100% perfect mechanically and electrically now.

I'm going to wait on the interior and exterior until I take it on a vacation this fall: Up 101 from San Diego to the Olympic peninsula. :)

I recommend everybody with a manual get the Ricambi shifter bushing and have their linkages serviced. Shifts are super crisp now. Way better than they were before.

I kept the old hard Bridgestone tires for the first year because they were fine, tread wise, and I wanted to do the suspension all in one shot. What a transformation! The Michelins are smooth and quiet, with decent grip even when cold. The traction control would engage with the Bridgestones at the drop of a hat.

Very happy with this car, and it just keeps getting better.

12. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Hate to ask but do you have the part number for the shifter bushing? Cheers

13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  14. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    Hey Adam, I have a spare Hill Engineering one. It's yours if you want it.

15. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Was this 360 down in Miami in the early 2000's? I had a client that was going to pay me with his 360, yellow, stick, sunroof. The only reason I did not take it was the odd shaped sunroof in the car, LOL.

16. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    There are only two yellow sunroof/stick 360's in the US, so it probably was. Glad you passed, as this is my unicorn 360. As close to the way I would have ordered it as exists. :)

17. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    #117 G. Pepper, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    That's what Ricambi sells. Just noticed you guys are from Oz. :)

sierra055 likes this.
  18. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've finally finished with the electrical/mechanical work and am ready to restore the paint and bodywork. The electrical harness is so well sorted that there is now virtually no battery drain. I've let it sit for up to ten days, and it started right up. Pretty amazing, considering all the aftermarket electronics I removed! Jim at FoSA really knows Ferrari electronics.

Last thing I had to do was finally bite the bullet and replace the stock headers and cats with Fabspeed units: Headers, blankets, and sport cats. I just didn't want any possibility of another pre-cat disaster. Art and the EAG guys did the work, and wow! The improvement in sound is amazing. I have all the burbles, crackles, and pops now and it still works perfectly with the valved CS exhaust. It finally sounds truly astonishing with the valves open.

I had EAG do the work because I figured I might need to get 360trev to reprogram the ECU to get rid of the terminal CEL, but no, no CEL with Fabspeed headers, blankets, and cats.

To review, the car had no CEL when I bought it, even though the pre-cats had totally disintegrated. Then I replaced the stock headers and cats with used ones from a low mileage 360; instant CEL. Tried a second set of stock headers from an even lower mileage car; still the CEL. Now, with Fabspeed headers with no pre-cat, blankets, and sport cats, NO CEL! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

After all I spent trying to get rid of it, I'll take the gift. If it ever comes back, 360trev will get the ECU.

19. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Coming along nicely! You going to be at the monthly meeting tomorrow?
    I haven't seen your car in person yet

20. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm actually going to bring my new Raptor tomorrow. :)

Gumart1 likes this.
  21. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Hey G,
    How were things over at EAG? Few conversions ongoing? You speak to him about a 612 job?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    G - I too just went from stock 360 ex to aftermarket headers, and the CS box.... and WOW what a difference! Ferrari never should have put this car out with that lousy stock ex note.

If you want some paint/body refresh, my 360 is at reknown in SA..... good guys over there.... giving my francesca some botox, face-lift, and lipo ;)

G. Pepper likes this.
  23. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

24. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Art is super busy. He's opening a place in Naples, FL I think. Mostly to do more conversions. He hasn't done a 612 yet but we talked about it and he's into the concept. Currently I'm waiting to get to CO and then I'm going to try to get the only yellow manual 456M in the US. It's definitely a project, so I'm not in a rush to try to get it. If that falls through, it's back to the 612 conversion idea.

I sold my 308 so I have the cash to get an exotic car trailer now. Planning to move the 360 up there late spring/early summer. This is the one I want:

https://www.trailex.com/products/pc/Exotic-Sportscar-Trailer-CT-8045-p49.htm

This will make life much more interesting. :)

25. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Did you see my red 360??? Did you? Did you? :D

Kevin