For Sale - 360 Throttle Body Adapter and Pipe | FerrariChat

For Sale 360 Throttle Body Adapter and Pipe

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by EastMemphis, Mar 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Unfortunately for 360 owners, the OEM throttle body (part 171716, Bosch 274750038) is no longer available at any of the normal places. If you can find one, the prices are well north of $2k each. When the throttle bodies fail, Ferrari indicates both have to be replaced with new parts and for good reasons.

To solve this problem, I created an adapter kit to allow a commonly used throttle body that's FUNCTIONALLY IDENTICAL in place of the unobtainable OEM part. This inexpensive throttle body (Bosch part 274750474) is used in dozens of Porsche models from years 1999-2016. It's a Bosch part, has the exact same mounting holes, and is identical except for the engine vent.

The kit consists of two sleeve adapters and two connector pipes. The sleeve adapter is an industrial thermoset urethane and the pipe is aluminum.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Throttle body and redwood block not included...

Here's what they look like installed in my 360 Spider. The 90.5 OET OEM clamps are unavailable anywhere. I'll replace the yellow clamps with non-OET ear clamps when I can source them.

My OEM throttle bodies are still good but occasionally, when I haven't driven the car for two weeks and it's cold, I'd see limp mode. Turn the car off and on again and all was good. It was the start of another failure so I decided to get ahead of the curve and solve the problem once and for all. I did all the homework to know it would work a while ago when I had my first throttle body failure.

After the changeout, the sound was different. Especially around a quarter throttle. It was more.... harmonious if that's the word. Both banks were completely in pitch with each other. I don't know if it was just my brain playing tricks or real but it sounds better now.

I have a VERY limited supply of the adapter kits. I made three and am using one for my car so I have two left to sell. Price: $900 for the kit, plus shipping to US only. Clamps and throttle bodies not included.

Here's an article I wrote about my first throttle body problem. It explains how the TB's work and all sorts of other boring stuff.

https://www.ferrari360.org/2020/07/bosch-throttle-body-replacement.html

tifosi101 and Auraraptor like this.
  2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Are the p car tb ‘s plug and play?

Elec connectors?
    Any tune necessary?

cool project!

3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Plug and play. According to the WSM, the throttle adaption or something like that has to be reset when changing the TB's. I have an Autel MS906 which can do it but I didn't reset it to see what would happen and I had zero problems. I did turn off the battery for a few hours prior to installing the kit. No tune. Wiring identical. It's exactly the same unit as the OEM except for the $2000 vent.

Mel Spillman and one4torque like this.
  4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Great find sir! Love these hacks.

EastMemphis likes this.
  5. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Can’t seem to find that bosch porsche TB.
    Possible typo in your post or link where to buy?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Absolutely possible. I typed in the part number by memory and my memory is faulty.

Here's the link:
    Bosch Original Equipment 0280750474 Throttle Body
    The price is currently about $159. I've seen them as low as $100 at discount places.

tifosi101 likes this.
  7. Melvin Diagnosi

Melvin Diagnosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Melvin Williams
    Awesome find!

Is there also a version that is bigger like the 430? So we can use those on the 360

thx

8. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    This kit works for the 360 only. If someone were to donate a 430 to me, preferably a TDF gated coupe, I sure would figure it out.

Auraraptor and RedNeck like this.
  9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Just finished my 100 mile test run of the Throttle Body Adapter kit and it's still working perfectly.

This is important: I believe resetting the "throttle adaptive values" (or something close to that) is required after changing the throttle bodies. In my case, it probably didn't cause me any grief because I removed perfectly good throttle bodies. For a car that's experiencing trouble codes, not resetting these parameters in the ECU's EEPROM may cause unintended malfunctions. These values can be reset with at least two tools that I know of: The official factory tool (SD2/3...) and an Autel MS906, which is the tool I have. It's likely the Launch X-431 does this as well. Turning the battery off will not affect the values in the EEPROM.

10. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    This looks better. No more mickey mouse clamps.

The ear clamps on the adapter sleeve are a generic Chinese brand that are 7mm wide instead of 9mm like the OET 905 version. Unfortunately, the OET 905's are no longer available. I tried everywhere, even a place where the minimum order is 500 clamps. They couldn't get them either.

The Chinese version is pretty good with the same construction. It even has 905 stamped on it like the OET version. The narrower clamp makes the installation look less than perfect so I'm redesigning the adapter for the 7mm clamps. A bit of a slog but just more time and effort. No invention needed.

The knockoff clamp is available on Amazon at ~$65 for 20 clamps. It takes over a month to get them as they are ordered from China.

Ear Clamp set available with purchase: $40 - includes 4 - 905's, 2 - 185's (adapter to pipe), and 2 - 210's (pipe to the engine vent).

Ear Clamp Pliers available from Amazon and other retailers.

11. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #11 EastMemphis, Mar 26, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    I've redesigned the adapter to use the 7mm ear clamp and it looks much better. The clamp also fits better as the smaller clamp has less "cinch" so was looser than I liked with the 9mm design. I've made one additional set in the 7mm. I've put about 150 miles since changing to the 474 throttle bodies. All smiles.
    It took three iterations of molds to come to a final product and I am impressed with the results. The point of this project was to make something that would solve a problem and during the process, discover how to make commercial quality urethane parts. I've learned a lot more, especially about the mold making activity.

Virtually everything required to make the adapters was designed with Fusion 360 and printed with a Prusa MK3s+ using black Amazon Basic PLA. Stuff the average nutcase might have lying around. The urethane materials were much more difficult to find, source and test.

Now that this project is finished, I can go back to my "other" project. Starting the main mold process. Yay!

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Is Bosch part 274750474 the right number? I can only find 280 750 474.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

EastMemphis likes this.
  13. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Ya, sorry. I added a correction in post #4. You have the right number.

I've put over 200 miles on my car since installing the kit. Works.

14. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Elegant solution. I just did a rebuild as per your original post a while ago so kept the factory body with disaerator hose connection but this is a nice effort for those who can't rebuild. No reason why this will not work.

EastMemphis likes this.
  15. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    You might want to revisit the throttle adaption reset.
    I replaced both throttle bodies with NOS throttle bodies about a year ago. The old ones where not a problem I just did it as preventative maintenance. I also had zero problem after changing them out and didn't notice any difference. However, I just got my car back from a minor major (no belt change) where I had them reset the throttle body adaption and all I can say is that you are going to want to look into that. Rev matching is much easier and low rpm pull is noticeably improved. I was doing some high RPM down shifting/rev matching and it was obvious that the car was still evaluating the new parameters. But after doing it about 5 times it settled down and the car really started to pull in the upper RPM range. In short, the manual shift driving experience has noticeably improved with a throttle adaption reset.

EastMemphis likes this.