360 top leak and 'still open' alert. Need help. | FerrariChat

360 top leak and 'still open' alert. Need help.

Discussion in '360/430' started by ketel, Aug 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Gang,

My '03 360 Spider has the common top leak coming from the cylinder mechanism where hydraulic fluid spews out heavily when you try to operate the top. I think I've diagnosed that issue, which involves removing the cylinder and having it rebuilt. I'll do that soon.

But the current problem involves the top not closing fully. I tried to operate the top and it did not open, probably from the heavy loss of hydraulic fluid. It also would not close completely, so I had to use the emergency wrench in the tool kit to close the forks onto the strike plate to clamp down the top. That was ok but the 360 still thinks the top is in mid-operation and the "top is open" dash alert is on now. When I drive more than 20mph there is an incessant beep that only goes off when I slow to under 20mph. Oh, and I'm getting a flashing CEL now also. Not sure if related.

Here's the video:

What is a good fix for this? Is there a position sensor I need to manipulate so the 360 understands that the top is closed and I don't get the alert/incessant beeping? Or, if that fails, can I override the beep/alert so I can at least drive the thing while I sort out the other issues with this car?

Thanks all
    ketel

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #2 Qavion, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    No experience with this system, but there are about 12 position switches for the roof on the 360, many labelled "open" and "closed". This is a lot more complicated than a F355.
    I assume the "open" switches have to show "not open" and the "closed" switches have to show "closed"

There are switches on the top frame (windscreen) for initiating latching (E.VVA L & E.VVA R) and for confirming latching (E.VVZ & E.VVD). There are closed and open switches for the hard cover (EDZ and EDA respectively). There are closed and open switches for the "flaps" (EFZ and EFA respectively).

The basic sequence for opening and closing is described in this document:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/N9Nb1NHv2EpfyaAx

This shows the labels for the switches. The green text shows the required status of each switch.

The wiring diagram is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/LAv7yw87RuZ6elEG

The parts diagram may help you with switch location.

Experts?

3. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Thanks, Qavion. Here's where I'm at:

Before I niggle with microswitches I want to eliminate the obvious stuff. Because the leak is so severe, there is not enough hydraulic fluid in the system for the top is to function at all. So, my first thought is to top off the hydraulic fluid with enough fluid to at least get one open/close sequence done so the microswitches can open and close they're supposed to, which I am hoping will clear this fault.

However, I'm running into another roadblock. Filling the top fluid reservoir seems impossible. The reservoir is located behind a panel behind the passenger seat and is deeply offset such that it seems impossible to access the filler plug. See pic.

So, can anyone tell me how one fills the top hydraulic reservoir? Does one need to unbolt the entire assembly from the firewall? Can you spin the reservoir toward you to access the filler screw? I'm at an impasse.

ketel

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    you need a wrench like this to access the fill plug - https://www.ebay.com/itm/154449351411

for fluid you need - Mercedes hydraulic fluid ZH-M

Then some form of a squirt can with a flex length. Probably can get that at Harbor Freight in San Rafeal

Attached Files:

ketel likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    ketel likes this.
  6. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Very helpful, Qavion and GCalo. Especially the Ratarossa step-by-step on reservoir top up procedure. I'll tackle this tomorrow (Sunday) and provide updates.

Like everything else with this 360, it'll be a process. Eliminate one problem, find another one. Rinse and repeat. Hoping that topped up fluid will allow me to run an open/close sequence enough to clear this "top still open" alert and incessant beeping when driving.

ketel

7. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Gang,

I spoke too soon. I was able to get through steps 1-5 in Ratarossa's write-up on topping up the hydraulic fluid for the top but upon closer inspection I was not 100% sure the fluid I had on hand would be compatible with the Mercedes fluid recommended for the 360. I have Pentosin 11S which I've used without incident on my 355 Spider. Does anyone know if this is ok to use with the 360? I'd rather not risk it unless I'm sure it's ok. I've had too much drama already with this 360.

If anyone can get back to me today with clarification that Pentosin 11S is ok to use with the 360, I have time to tackle this project today. Otherwise, I will need to order the Mercedes fluid and lose a couple weeks before I can tackle this job again.

Thanks,
    ketel
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    A bit risky and can't find a Xref table to say for sure.

That Pentosin 11S is what is used in my 530i P/S system.

I would be very careful.

There is a Napa parts store in San Rafael near the Office Depot/Best Buy area

I would call them to see if they have the ZH-m

UPDATE - NOT THE SAME DON'T USE

"The Mercedes convertible top fluid is actually a "ZHM" fluid, as opposed to an "LHM". ZHM is more highly refined, and it is required for more recent model years."

Appears the 11S is a LHM type

9. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    From Klaus of Top Hydraulics - www.tophydraulics.com

He's the expert. So you should be able to rely on him

Acceptable hydraulic fluids:

Mercedes p/n A0009899103
    FeBi 02615
    Pentosin CHF-11S
    Aral Vitamol ZH-F (in Europe)

Give it a try

ketel and EastMemphis like this.
  10. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Thanks, GCalo. I went ahead and order the Mercedes fluid anyway. My Pentosin can is getting low. Amazon should have it here in a few days and I'll try again. Really appreciate the fast response!

ketel

11. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    help is all about what the deal is

been in this situation many times.

so I have collected a ton of tools to do all the work and keep spare liquids on hand

get that alarm silenced and then look at replacing the bands in the top