360 VS 996TT X50 | FerrariChat

360 VS 996TT X50

Discussion in '360/430' started by scott63, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I am looking to see if any of you have owned both a 360 coupe and a 996TT X50. I am in the process of selling my 355 and can pick up a 2002 996TT X50 for a good price. I would like to know how you feel about both cars and what are the major differences. I previously owned a 996 Cab but sold it because it was too slow.

Thanks.... Scott

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    As for speed, the X50 will make a 360 feel like a 996 Cab. For visuals, most would choose the Ferrari. Also the Ferrari for sound. I personally would rather have the Porsche.

3. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    996 X50 or 996tt X50?

4. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    996TT X50

5. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    do you want a ferrari, or not?

hessank and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  6. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    If you read my post, I own a 355. This has nothing to do with whether or not I want another Ferrari. I own and have owned a lot of performance cars. I am simply asking for a comparison....

7. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    Without more info it is hard to advice – if you want to go for excitement pure the 360 is the winner – no competition – game over

I have driven the 996 TT as a daily drive for 20K miles and the 360 for 4K miles by now – I am still baffled why the 360 feels so much faster to me - on paper the 996TT or the X50 should outperform the Ferrari visibly (I test drove the X50 option)

996 TT
    + perfect daily drive
    + perfect reliability for me (only regular maintenance)
    + high gas mileage > 20m/g
    + relatively low key (although mine got keyed) compared to the F-cars
    + kick-in-the pants accelerations if you do it right (wait for boost and floor it)
    - US suspension is a pain – lots of body roll compared to the 360
    - Interior quality is a mess – rattles all over the place – this is a showstopper for me
    - Oil consumption may be high (as low as 1Q/600miles is considered OK) and the computer based check makes it hard to stay on top

For a 400+hp car the 996 TT is easy to drive especially in bad conditions. The approach is simply “go”; you can figure out what to do one the fly – lift off the gas or let the PSM (Porsche Stability Program) do the rest.

360 Modena F1
    + excitement pure – it is simply fun to drive this machine every time – it is a go-cart
    + from what I see (technology) reliability should be up to a level to use it as a daily drive
    + above 5K rpm the car runs amazing especially with F1 transmission - you can do some neat stuff driving with the F1
    + cornering speed and braking are way beyond the 996 TT
    + the engine sound (intact) and exhaust (Tubi) is a real show
    - attention this car generates is a pain – on the highway you have constantly company and people will do crazy stuff to have a look or talk to you
    - visibility to the rear or sides is low – changing lanes is a pain – the Challenger grill makes backing out easier but still

The 360 requires planning for everything from starting it cold (wait until the emission cycle is over, wait until it is warm >10miles), changing lanes (you better know what is going on behind you), to setting up a curve (once you have it sideways it goes), etc.

What really tipped me in favor of the 360 is the cornering speed (>1g) and the breaks. I have driven both cars in the same situation and came away with a feeling that the 996 TT breaks are bad (in comparison to the 360).

The equation changes if you want to modify the car. Personally I like to keep the engine & running gear stock.

these are my impressions so far

LightGuy and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  8. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Thanks... That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for.... I have also been told that the X50 package dynos at way more than the 450HP advertised. The only complaint I have heard about the Porsche is that it "doesn't have the soul of a Ferrari"....

9. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Ferrari owners say that about every car that is not a Ferrari.
    The Porsche is a great car, and in real world performance, the X50 is much faster than a 360.

10. albertl

albertl Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2002
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I got rid of my 996TT for the reasons mentioned below. The car rattled like crazy - the dash rattles, the sun roof squeeks like crazy. After 11k miles, I traded mine for a 360. Build quality and workmanship is far superior to the 996TT. The other thing the 996TT drove me crazy wa the oli consumption. Granted it was an 01 but 300 miles a quart - c'mon. At 11k miles and quite a few high speed runs, it could do no more than 800 miles a quart. The sun roof, that was just awful.

Having had the 360 for over a year now, I am much happier. Now if only the maitenance was like a P Car....

11. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I am only looking at a 2002 or 2003. To me, the interior quality was improved in the 2002 and later models. I do not want a sunroof and have seen a number of cars without it.

12. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    P-cars are usually above spec in HP but HP is not everything:

You can not brake the 996 TT tires loose because of the AWD so more HP won’t do you a lot of good from standstill (well you can break it loose but it sounds really ugly)

If you are a less than ideal driver with the 996 stick a 360 will come out of a curve ahead of you in perfect gear and perfect RPMs.

I don’t care if you out accelerate me on a straight, I’ll get you braking into the next curve (in perfect gear)

Again all remarks are with stock cars – modify and all bets are off

Don’t get me wrong I love the 996 TT for its technology – the engine is a master piece and its reliability considering its complexity is astonishing – acceleration is like a plane at takeoff (and they should get a patent on the interior rattles)

13. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    since you've owned a handful of ferraris, and it's not such a 'special' thing anymore, i'd shoot for the p car without a doubt...then get rid of that for a e60 M5.

14. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Its doubtful you will approach the limits of either car on the street. Buy what your heart desires, and if that is to get a good deal, buy the 996. Be prepared to take a hit when you sell it. There is a reason you are getting what you think is a sweet deal on it. I drove P's for 15 years, they are hard to resell.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  15. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I've had a bunch of F-cars, older and new, 8 and 12 cyl. with nary a real problem. After 2 550s, a coupe and a barchetta, i couldn't see getting another one, even a variant like the 575. Right now, i am driving a GT-2. It is not as appliance-like to drive as an AWD TT, and is enormous fun, makes good sounds with an aftermarket exhaust, and with its rigid suspension, a set of racing seats and a willing right foot, will go like no ferrari i have ever owned. (Granted, i've not owned an Enzo, F-40 or F-50, but we are talking about cars that sell for under 200k here). The interior is, i agree, a complete and total bore, and yes, even with a 2003 model, i am burning oil. But don't write off the Porsche entirely, especially when you are shopping in the 160-180k price bracket, which is more comparable to the price of a newish 360 coupe. (BTW, i will also own other ferraris, so its not an either or proposition as far as i'm concerned).

16. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    A GT2 now we are talking especially the ’04 with the increased HP – good choice

However one thing still remains and I forgot to add this to my list above – weight. I would gladly stay with 420hp if P would reduce weight. The current strategy of all vendors to beat physics with all kinds of electronic gizmos (ASR,PSM,ESP,...] will in the end backfire. You might get it up to speed in record time with enough HP, but wait until you have to slow it down especially under lateral acceleration.

The GT2 and especially the GT3 have been a pure disappointment from the weight perspective for me – the Stradale gets it right.

17. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Its a street car. PSM has saved my ass a few times.

As for rattles mentioned in a previous post. I had a 996TT and not a single peep from the interior. Before that I had a Carrera 4 Cabriolet. Yes it was slow. I would go with the Ferrari, but that's because you don't have a GT2 as one of your choices and I've had my fair dose of late model Porsches. Also have a Cayenne Turbo in the horizon for my wife.

Given my own choices between Porsche or Ferrari I would go Porsche GT2 a la Bill Hart.

Cheers

LightGuy likes this.
  18. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Taek
    With your luck... better make the next P-car a Cayenne. They say SUVs are safer. :)

19. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Unfortunately you're quite correct. I hope I've broken the negative karma by buying that silly contraption (H2 Hummer). As I mentioned in my previous post I see a Cayenne Turbo in my wife's future.

Cheers

20. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I put about 12k on a 96 993TT, and loved the car. It was tight, and a blast to drive. I was going to trade it in on a 996tt, and when I drove it, I felt like it just missed. Did not feel like a race car any more, just a fast lexus. The gear box was missing the metalic clank, that I loved. And the interior was bad.

Although the GT-2 is the wood, I have not driven one, but I have ridden in one, and that is a great car. It to me feels like a Porsche should. A race car that is comfortable to drive.

I have a 360 right now and will never sell it. I have a really good one, and yes with Ferrari's there are good ones and bad ones. I have installed a tubi with test pipes, and it is just too cool. The interior has too much leather for my tast, I would rather have the 360 CS, but I am a very happy Ferrari owner.

I also was given the 360 shop manuals, and I have fixed several things myself. If you are not afraid to work on your cars the shop manuals are awsome. For example a ferrari dealer told me that the entire F-1 system had to be replaced to the tune of $10K. The car worked fine but the F-1 sysetem would leak. After I read the shop manual for about a hour, I located the leak fixed it, and the car is perfect.

21. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Scott -

I went through the same decision process a few months ago myself. At the same price point the P-car offers more horsepower and perhaps a little better daily drivability (altho some have challenged that assertion with the 360), and the Ferrari offers far superior "wow" factor, and more driver involvement. As I did more research, it appeared to me the 360 offered another big plus - much better resale value if purchased new at retail than the Porsche. I ordered the 360.

Gary

22. enzomoon

enzomoon Guest

I was recently at a Porsche dealership to look around. I am baffled by the apparent decline in quality of materials on their cars as of late. The interior materials, fit/finish on the 996 I looked at were almost criminal for a car of that pedigree and price. IMHO Ferrari has overtaken them in both quality and maintained their soul.The Porsche strikes me as more of an appliance for speed than an involving sportscar.
    In terms of objective performance parameters, I am sure the 996TT is faster in a straight line but get the 360 on a track and it will undoubtedly take the Porsche. I suspect the same would be true on mixed public roads as well.
    Road and Track tested both cars as part of an article entitled "sibling Rivalry" a couple of years ago. The 996TT lap times were only 4th fastest, with the 360 1st, Zo6 Vette 2nd and the 550 Maranello 3rd!!
    Porsche still knows how to make great cars as evidenced by the GT3, GT2 and Carrera GT, but IMHO the 996 is just too sanitized to be considered a great sportscar.

Regards,
    Mark

23. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    Hubert how the hell do you have 1700 posts already!

24. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I would be buying a used 2002 996TT X50. The price would be about $100K.

25. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Gary,

I thought all new 360s were sold, and that the waiting list was 3+ years for the coupe. Are you waiting 3+ years or do you have some pull down in the Bay area?

Thx - Tim

P.S. I also tried sending you a "personal message" using the new system. Sorry for the duplicate.