360 vs F430 | FerrariChat

360 vs F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by 550nitis, May 7, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    This has to be the most spoken about thread on Fchat but recently I started looking for a three pedal Ferrari. My first choice was a F430 which I absolutely love. Then I drove a 360 and was just enamored by its smooth lines, just so beautiful.

The 360 comes in at $85K while the F430 manual at $150k. After driving both cars, I couldnt imagine that the F430 is actually twice the car the 360 is. Yes, it has less maintenance and all that but twice the money for a F430? I understand if it was $20k or $30k more, but twice just seems rediculous to me.

cavlino and rampante550 like this.
  2. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Value and beauty are in the eye of the beholder.
    But I couldn’t justify the delta, while recognizing the 430 is the superior car.

recoil likes this.
  3. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Supply and demand. I don’t know the actual numbers but they probably made 5x as many 360 manuals as they did F430s. They don’t have to be twice the car if they are 5x as rare.

Whether or not that rarity is worth the premium to you is a personal decision of course.

AHudson and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I used to own a 360 Spider, and now an F430 Spider.

Love both cars but the F430 is superior in my opinion.

Asking price = whatever the seller wants to ask.

What establishes value = what a willing seller is willing to sell to a willing buyer.

Mario Andretti likes this.
  5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I might be the one of the few people on here that have owned 3 360' and 2 430's (1 360 gearshift/1 430 gearshift), and I doubt everyone will agree with this but I think the 360 is a better gearshift car. The 430 is better as a F1. I am a die hard old gearshift dinosaur (still own 3 gearshift cars), but the power band of the 360 to me is better suited to a gearshift. I also think the 430 is a better looking car the interior is nicer, and does not look like a 20 year old cars. I also like the steering feel better. If I wanted a gearshift I'd buy a 360.

cavlino, CAV 430, VAF84 and 7 others like this.
  6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    When I was looking for a car, 430's were about 50% more than 360's. I couldn't justify the price delta.
    The reason the 430 is so expensive comparatively is the 430 3-pedal cars are just downright rare. I'm not sure the lighter flywheel in the 430 lends to driving satisfaction, but I really like the 360's driving dynamics as a 3-pedal manual car. I don't feel the "need" to upgrade to the 430 manual personally. If it was a $10-20k difference sure it might be a nice bump in power and torque.. but not at the current prices. I'd go, I'm going to go 458 when I add to the stable.

7. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Best I can offer is drive both, if you can in a rental situation so you can really get the feel for each car and decide from there. Personally I prefer the looks of the 360, but enjoyed the 430 more as far as driving experience went. But I only have driven the F1 cars. As far as spiders go I’d personally jump to the 458 spider because I personally don’t like fabric convertible tops. Haven’t driven a 458 yet but will be driving one in just over a month as I have one reserved for rental in Vegas.

Are any of them perfect cars, no I’m sure there are better cars. But I do know that everyone has a preference especially in these cars. I really have enjoyed every one I have ever rented or driven. For me the California is the car I have my sights set on as I really like the GT car experience but the f430 is a very close second at least until I drive the 458.

JRE and 550nitis like this.
  8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I agree.

I didn't realize you had so many 360's and F430's. How come? Just curious.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've had both. The 430 is a better more modern car, but in this case the big difference in price is the rarity of the 430 stick. It's also the last stick Ferrari will produce. Probably a good investment car.

ShineKen likes this.
  10. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    430 is twice the car imo

11. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i agree 360 f1 wasnt that great 430 f1 is alot of fun fast shifts

550nitis likes this.
  12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    JRE likes this.
  13. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #13 ihavearedferrari, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Take that review with a grain of salt: According to its creators the F430 is at least 70 per cent new compared with the 360. It has a new engine, a new F1 gearbox, a new diff and a brand-new chassis.

Same chassis, but further re-enforced.

No doubt it is the better car, Ferrari don't go backwards.

JRE likes this.
  14. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    I did this debate but wanted F1 for my Choice. (Plan for my 355 to be Gated)
    I like the look and Interior Color Choices on the 430 better and just HAD to have the Yellow Tach...

Now when it comes to a Manual 360 vs 430 debate I would have to lean towards the 360, because to me the 430 looks like an add-on aftermarket Stick Shift...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

SoftwareDrone likes this.
  15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the 360 is a better shape.
    the 430 is a better car.

you choose.

16. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Yes, the F430 is a better car but not twice as much $ better than a 360. When I test drive the F430 F1 it was awesome and for $90k the F1 are going for they make perfect sense. F430 styling is more modern but when it sits next to a 458 it looks very aged.

Look at a 997 GT3, this is an amazing car priced the same at $90k. Los of bang for the buck on both the f430 and the GT3. But when you talk about an F430 gated which is not the best driving manual, then a 458 is the obvious choice and that is twice the car of 360, F430 and GT3 put together.

17. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    My 430 manual is the best driving manual car I have ever owned and I have never owned an auto trans car. If you can't drive a manual 430 and say the same, then F1 is for you.

Themaven likes this.
  18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Yeah, what's the evidence for the 430 not being anything but an amazing, ultimate V8-engined Ferrari manual to drive? I have 5 manual Ferraris including 2 430s and it's astonishing. However, yes, it does take some time to learn to drive 430 properly because of the way the revs drop, the clutch is also different in feel to the transaxle V12s, and it's a different mechanical linkage set-up to my 575 (so I learned here), but when you get it, it's more fun than a 458, even though the 458 is a better car. And much more satisfying to change gear than any 911 I have owned, all of which are fine but a bit uneventful/unsatisfying in the shifts.

You're also dealing with quite a lot more torque than a 355 or 360 every gearshift, and along with the clutch operation that can make for some surprises at first.

It's true that the gate sits proud in the 430, like in the 599, but nobody has climbed into my 430s and said, 'that looks strange'. It looks like a showcase - we're so proud we put it on a pedestal!

If you don't like changing gear with three pedals, that's understandable and a different story. But is the 430 the ultimate Ferrari manual? Sure! Or very close..(F50 would get a look in)

cavlino, ShineKen and JRE like this.
  19. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Dan, when it comes to cars there is no logical reason for anything that I do. I did not think my 430 manual was even in the top ten of manual cars I've owned, but then again I have owned at least 10 times the amount of cars any normal person would. I'm not saying it was not a good car but two of my current manuals (the Evora 400 with is amazedly light flywheel and my one of kind modified 997S) are better. The thing about the 360 that bothered me the most (I always drive with tractions controls off since I learned to drive long before they existed) was the fact that it gave you no warning when rear was going to break loose, with the 430 I can feel it coming. There is no right or wrong answer here, both are great cars, and when you trying and put a dollar value to something well that makes it even more of a personal opinion. What is worth $10 to some may only be worth $4 to others. I remember the first time I went shopping at Neiman Marcus (remember I was once homeless living on the streets begging for food), and saw a t-shirt that cost $225.00. I was amazed and could not believe anyone would pay that for a t-shirt.

JRE, Formula Uno and whatheheck like this.
  20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Morie,

Thanks for sharing.

Looks like you've done very very well for yourself. Im very proud of you!

I love cars too, and if I have more funds I will keep on buying them so I get the experience to drive them all.
    We need to enjoy our money as life is too short and we cant take our money with us when we expire.

All the best to you,

Dan

JRE likes this.
  21. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    I’m about to pull the trigger on a 360 and the more I read on this forum the more terrified I am of doing so. The car is in great shape, ppi with flying colors, all maintenance up to date but the horror stories are tuff to swallow. Is this car that unreliable and that expensive to maintain?

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It’s not that horrible, but a lot depends on luck and how it was maintained (or not). You could have a bad heat exchanger that goes undetected for long enough to cause cross contamination of fluids and damage, or you could go for a long time with no problems and just fluid changes and consumables like brakes. If you set aside $10k for the unexpected, there is a good likelihood you won’t need it, but then you won’t be surprised or go without the car for lack of repair budget.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Like any car they have to be taken care of properly (my 430 is back at Algar Ferrari right now electrical gremlin), but I never had any major issues with any of the 6 Ferrari's I owned. Once you buy the car and start driving it, trust me if you are truly a car lover you will forget all about anything but how amazing it is to drive and how it makes you feel.

whatheheck likes this.
  24. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Dan, thanks that was nice of you to say.

whatheheck likes this.
  25. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Remember people by nature won't post about how trouble-free their car has been over the last months..but naturally will ask/vent when things go wrong, so that's what you read. I'll wager $10 you won't regret your purchase.

Need4Spd likes this.