360 warped dash | FerrariChat

360 warped dash

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tfarn, Aug 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tfarn

Tfarn Rookie

Dec 2, 2016
    The leather on my 02 360 has suddenly warped pretty severely. When heated up, it generally smoothes out but it has gotten much worse as of late. I live in the Midwest where temps and humidity can be pretty harsh. That being said, I have only had the car for a few months and it came from Texas.

Any recommendations on who or how to repair or replace? Cost?

This Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I had the vents popped out on mine, Ferrari wanted about 3.5K to pull dash and send it out. They recommended any body shop that works on stuff like that can pull the dash.....though I would have to look for a good rep one. But in short, Ferrari can pull it and send it to their shop, or you can just ask what shop they use and go direct in your area.

3. judgejohn

judgejohn Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2010
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    John
    There are a few vents that cannot be removed without dash removal. Those (defroster vents and a couple of smaller ones) I left sticky. But I now have a little ripple in the dash leather that may require dash removal and recovering , in which case I will have those remaining vents refinished while dash is out. They want a king's ransom to do the recover.
    Anyone know whether the littlle plastic not in center of dash pops off? Trying to find access to add a little adhesive where my dash is pulling up.

4. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    What products do you use on the leather? When I bought mine, it had a wrinkle in the dash and the leather was very dry. I applied 3 coats of lexol protectant over a week period and the bubble is largely gone.

5. Tfarn

Tfarn Rookie

Dec 2, 2016
    After posting this I noticed that my (still sticky) defrost vents are warped and popping out as well. I have a quote coming from the dealer that I am guessing to be north of $5k to replace (recover dash and replace vents). Virulosity, Lexol took the wrinkles out? Worth a shot. Anyone else with good experiences with conditioners? With temp changes seem to have a dramatic effect on how it looks. Ironically, warmer seems to smooth and tighten.

6. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My '99 Modena has the same problem, although not as bad as yours. If left in the sun, the ripples just about disappear. During the winter, they are quite evident. I've tried Leatherique treatments, however it made no difference.
    Anyone tried a source of heat to tighten up the leather? Just curious. It's not so bad that I'll fix it, but it is annoying.

7. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    The big problem is the thin foam that is glued under the leather lightly glued the the dash structure. The foam brakes down over time allowing the leather to bubble, shift, wrinkle.

I removed my dash and cleaned all the foam/glue off. I hand carried the dash (two hour drive) to Concours Interiors in Naples, FL to replace the leather and foam. They did a very nice job. Reinstalling the dash and interior trim took more time than removal, but I saved big bucks. I also cleaned and fixed the windshield vents at this time.

The foam that the automobile manufacturers us is crap. I had to redo the headliner for the same reason. Also the dash A/C vent controls have foam on the discs that shut the air flow off was falling off and blow out the vent. I cleaned all the remaining foam off the discs while in there.

8. Beemer

Beemer Karting

Apr 5, 2016
    Punta Gorda, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rick
    My 430 Spider is at F1 Naples for the dash repair and replacement of the defroster diffusers. The quote is just under $2000. It had to be done. Just the cost of ownership.

9. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    The quote to re-leather mine in the UK was just under $2k as well, seems prices for this job are about the same across the board.

10. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    My 2003 360 had the dash replaced prior to me buying the car. The cost was receipted as $2200 by a shop in California in 2012-- FWIW...
    So to agree with Derek in the UK 2K seems about right. And that's to say the price has not really increased since 2012.

11. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Heavy Leatherique treatment helps but the dash leather is done for unfortunately. Crazy amount of labor to remove and reinstall.

12. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you’ve seen the work it takes to disassemble the dash and all the gizmos underneath you can picture the labor involved. Several previous threads on this (do a search) and you’ll see pictures. Inside the threads there have been suggestions to fix the ripples without removing the dash, but I can’t recall one ever being proven. No leather treatment is going to work, sorry. As mr bock, stated, the foam and glue just give up the ghost.

The dollars quoted above actually seem reasonable since the quote I got was in the $4k range...

13. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    +1000 for Eric at F1 Imports and Richard at Concours Interiors in Naples. I'll be getting my 430 dash done there this winter. However I doubt it's $2000 to pull the dash, re cover and re install it. I think $2000 is probably the cost of the new leather alone.

14. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    Amazing how we willingly shell out cash for a new exhaust system, yet fixing the dash or a headlight for similar amounts, we baulk at... ;)

15. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Because one is for pure enjoyment while the other is to fix what should not have been broken in the first place. My 1989 Porsche 928 dash is like new at this stage of its life.

16. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    2 grand does not seem too bad. Treat it all you can and see how it goes. Amazing how some people these days can thing they can get by without a sun shield for their car. Afraid the car was left in the sun.

17. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Does anyone know of a good leather interior shop in the bay area? I need to get my lumbar support increased.

18. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    For u guys that are recovering the dash and don't want to use the crappy ABS plastic defrost vents I have few sets of upgraded alloy vents left. PM me for dets. Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I highly recommend Rizzo's parts. See attached. I took the dash apart and reinstalled myself and paid upholster to stretch glue and install the parts. Now the leather is held firmly in place by the thru new metal which is bolted thru the fiberglass. He charged me $650 labor. I think this repair will last a long time. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    PM sent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

21. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Hi Spiro,
    Sent you PM not up to speed with this new Fchat PM if you did not get my PM.

22. Trackjunkie1

Trackjunkie1 Karting

Aug 2, 2017
    Hello Rizzo,

Can I please get the price shipped to USA with Zip Code 30041

23. plahaye

plahaye Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    S La. swamp
    Full Name:
    Phil LaHaye
    I will be pulling the dash and repairing the loose leather myself as mine does not look stretched and do not see why it will not glue right back down. Just lifted due to adhesive/foam failure. Did your installer install new foam before re-glueing the dash leather or just glue down the leather with no foam. I have the alum vent plates on hand from the guy in Perth which must be Rizzo. Very nice and they will surely hold down the leather in front.

24. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Wish I could answer your question, but not idea what he did. It just came back looking great! Best bet is to get in there and look!

25. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    Any mere mortal done a dash-removal? I know Voicey says 2 hours, but is it straight forward or do you need special tools and fingers that articulate in all planes?