360Stradale 6-speed manual conversion | Page 32 | FerrariChat

360Stradale 6-speed manual conversion

Discussion in '360/430' started by alberto, Jul 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Great minds think alike, did the same on with getting them clear lacquered and polished before I fitted them. Just staggering how much lighter these race car parts are compared to the Stradale (or Scud) road car parts. It may be hassle to fit them but its well worth the effort and having them WITH electric windows is just a win-win. Funny since everyone told me it would be impossible before I actually did it... Where there is a will there is a way!

I was considering changing the bicycle cable outer sleeve with a red one to add a splash of color to them but I just never yet got around to doing it and seeing what it looks like. I could always Photoshop it to see if it works before actually doing it ;)

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    The one that bounced off the mountain in California? That would be an ideal candidate for a manual conversion.

3. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    You guys who convert you cars , what do you think it has done to value?

4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #779 360trev, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Couple of interior updates...

I **finally** managed to track down a genuine Ferrari carbon gearshift knob.

Sorry about the poor quality pics (taken in my garage during a test fit...). Also just in the process (test fitting so not quite perfectly aligned or bolted in yet..) of a new genuine CS red Alcantara dash panel with carbon center for the HVAC controls. Not really much of a weight saving on the dash panel itself (as I'd already did a delete on the glove box many years ago) but still saved some weight since the support beams and the aluminum panel combined to weight just under 1kg ;) every little helps !

More better quality pics to follow when the weather gets better and I can pull it out of the garage...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Most don't care.
    My mods were done for my enjoyment and pleasure.
    Not worrying today about the next owner, life's too short

6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Looks good, Trev. Have you weighed the car recently; any idea what she's at now?

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #782 sherpa23, Feb 15, 2017
    Hi Trev,
    I recently got one as well. From what I can tell, there are three types. Here is mine.

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Can you please make a photo from the top, with the F logo ?

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I don't know if that's directed at me or Trev. Mine is Ferrari part #223131. I bought it from Ferrari of Denver. You should be able to find pics online if you search the part number.

10. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    Sick!

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #786 360trev, Feb 17, 2017
    Someone is selling the same one I have (from an F50), think a used one for 450 euros (very good price) on here;

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-parts-collectibles/545444-f50-original-carbon-shift-knob-other-knob-grill.html

This is the original carbon one from the Ferrari F50 version so quite rare I think.

The more recent style (part number 223131, see pictures I've attached) which I've seen a lot of is from the 599 and also used on 612's too. This has a silver top. They can still be purchased new for about $1,000 (ebay is your friend for better prices)... Compared to aftermarket ones which retail for about $50 but never look that great tbh... Both genuine items look great and weave is perfect (as it should be for this kind of price!)

223131 SHIFTER KNOB NON F1 (CARBON) 612S - Ricambi America, Inc.

They have a 10mm thread.

12. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Weight is getting quite silly now! I haven't weighed her for quite some time so will do it again soon but suffice to say dramatically lighter than a stock CS. Need to re-corner weight again ;)

Although in fairness I did ADD weight back by fitting the standard Racing Style exhaust in recent years (to appease the neighbors!) since it has valves so at low revs is socially acceptable (ish), unlike the actual Racing exhaust which doesn't. Also the loudest of them all is my Timate (still cannot bear to part with it so tucked away in the garage) but its just ear spitting loud in comparison to the factory racing option (also kept!!!).. Just sounds amazing though.

-T

13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #788 360trev, Feb 17, 2017
    This is the next interior update to follow...

Complete replacement of the analog dash clocks with a brand new digital screen based solution I'm developing inhouse. Only thing I'm contemplating using is the original 360 Challenge dash pod and mounting new screens into that...

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #789 vrsurgeon, Feb 17, 2017
  15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    There is third one that has a red stripe instead of silver, although I can't remember if it has the top piece like mine or the top piece like yours.

16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Niiiiice....

17. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Never seen that version. Do you have any pics and/or a part number?

18. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #793 sherpa23, Feb 17, 2017
    I only have a pic but it was part of the F430 carbon console option on the manual cars. Here is the pic:

By the way, the F50 knob for sale here needs a refinish in a big way. It can be done but it will not be super cheap which makes the 450 Euro not as cheap as it seems. still a great piece.

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #794 Need4Spd, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Reviving this excellent post for those looking for suspension setup advice.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/attachments/360-430-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/1487502d1332081136-360stradale-6-speed-manual-conversion-camber_comparison.png

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/attachments/360-430-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/1487503d1332081088-360stradale-6-speed-manual-conversion-toe_comparison.png

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/attachments/360-430-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/1487504d1332081178-360stradale-6-speed-manual-conversion-geo_screenshot.png

20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    And this one. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/141300159-post545.html

21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    You missed the most important one...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/141300162-post545.html

The post which contains the spreadsheet. Download it and there you can enter your own details and it will automatically calculate for you...
    I prefer zero toe in/out at front on the 360/430 - makes the car feel super alert, some even go with small amount of toe out but for me zero toe at front is perfect even at very high speeds (over 175mph)...

Q. Is there anything specific your inquiring about?

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks. I was looking for support that one should not be afraid to use 340 or Challenge alignment specs on a 360. Alignment shops always seem to push back against anything that deviates from stock. "No, you can't use those specs! They're for a 430 and you have a 360. The suspensions are completely different!"

23. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The base Alcoa 'F131' aluminum chassis was carried over from the 360 into the F430 (F131 EVO for Evolution) and shares virtually the same performance characteristics across all deviations including 360, CS, F430, Scuderia and indeed Challenge cars.

The mid-engine rear configuration with double wishbone suspension all around is near identical across all 360's and F430's (including Challenge cars) and even share the same chassis hard points and wishbone components.

Model focus is important here as are the 'design goals' which determine how much 'compromise' is dialed in to the base suspension setup for a given model. Its important to identify here that Ferrari used the same ZF Sach adjustable ride height (excellent) dampers across all of the cars with only rollbar rates, ride heights and and spring rates differing. This means they actually gave us a platform to allow us to play with the setup for very little cost, for instance its very simple to adjust ride height.

Back to focus, all requirements seem to contradict each other such as intended car use, i.e. how much road vs track usage, the trade off bias toward road comfort vs handling prowess of fast road or track based driving.

Then you've got the type of driver and whether they are inexperienced or not, do they feel or even understand their understeer from their [lift-off] oversteer. And then comes the maintenance (e.g. Levels of tire wear rates vs grip vs age of tires), age of the suspension bushes, engine mounts and setup of the geometry and more seriously corner weighting of the vehicle for predictability.

The factory setup of the 360 and F430 is very conservative and overly setup to improve road NHV (noise, harshness and vibration) characteristics as well as let inexperienced drivers known they are pushing close to their own limits and the cars mechanical grip for the given road conditions and road cambers.

All models except Challenge cars try (to some extent) to use switchable electrically mapped modes to help adjust the damping to match the road conditions (e.g. sport or race vs normal. etc.) but none of that changes the fundamental setup of the car.

The 360 in my opinion was setup way too soft for you to extract the best possible from the chassis and the tire technology has improved so much since it was launched that simply altering spring rates, geometry and the rollbars, along with modern tires can dramatically alter the performance onto a whole different level (regardless of any weight loss). Easily just adjusting the basics you see massive handling improvements. In fact I think they got the calculations wrong and as a consequence the car was easier to spin at the limits of grip than it should have been. This was addressed in the F430 geometry setup (rear toe and spring rates improvement weight transfer) along with the addition of more intelligent use of wheel speed sensors, gryoscope inputs and a estimation model updated to use intended angle of steering with actual direction (they added a steering angle sensor) and this allowed the engineers to do ESP (Electronic Stability) further taking over controls (removing throttle and applying individual brakes) to help bring the car back to its intended direction of travel. Anyway I've waffling...

Absolutely yes you can adjust the suspension setup and dramatically improve handling, it really just depends on the type of driver you are and what you want from your car. Take a look at the posted spreadsheet and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

24. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    360trev, this was really interesting and informative for a non-tech person like me to read, thank you. Not waffle at all. More please!

25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Trev is the best.

One thing that I would like to add. My 360 (the one just a few posts up) has a suspension upgrade by Moton. I have no idea exactly what they did in terms of specs but they properly valved and weighted each corner as a favor to the previous owner who had a race team. It is pretty much perfect - a little stiff for road use but ideal for isolated back mountain road performance.

Here's the issue: it makes me feel like F430 suspension is sprung much too softly. I have been trying to find a solution to this but it's a little more involved. CM2 has some great spring rates and between his feedback and the Scud and Challenge spring rates, it's not hard to find something that would be an improvement but then you have to do a little work with the rear sway bar and that looks more difficult, not mention any potential revalving of the shocks to suit the new spring.