RobzWorkz #8c: Improving the 328 Fuel System and Peripheral Hoses (evap system) | FerrariChat

RobzWorkz #8c: Improving the 328 Fuel System and Peripheral Hoses (evap system)

Discussion in '308/328' started by Robz328, Mar 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    #1 Robz328, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello again FChatters!

Here's the 3rd installment of mt 328 fuel system refurbishment. This involves replacing the evaporative system lines and improving the parts. My last installment (8b) showed many pics with the new Aeroquip hoses in place, but remained unexplained by design until this thread.

Please review the previous threads for precautionary information.

(BTW, this effort can be done by itself, without removing the intake and draining the tanks. However, you would still want to raise the car, remove the rear wheels and fender liners. Most of the evap parts are under the right wheel well. Only the long braided line crosses over to the left tank. If you do this exercise with gas in the tanks, be sure to treat fumes as flammable.)

Basically, the idea is to take all the parts and replace/recondition as needed.

All hoses for mine were to be replaced with Aeroquip hoses, as seen in the diagram in pic 1. All hose clamps were replaced with new, and I used bent steel piping to relieve bend stress. As with the accumulator line in RobzWorkz #8b, my hose selection here can be considered "overkill" since using good quality modern fuel injection hose would be fine. I couldn't source the same OEM hose which was external braid with rubber tubing at Aeroquip. So, I had fun and used the tough stuff. I believe SRI has sourced OEM and sells as a kit.

I chose not to replace the very-expensive plastic parts, which include the vapor cannister, the check valve (it's called a 2-way valve, but I could not consider it as so since it has a directional configuration and would be incosequential otherwise; there is no form of control on the valve to facilitate reverse purging, and I can only see one vapor flow direction in the system) and the roll-over valve (designed to stop liquid fuel from flowing into the hot engine if the car rolls over in an accident). For the cannister, I only cleaned it up and ensured no cracks. For the two plastic valves, I cleaned up, verified operation and reinforced with Quicksteel to minimize strees on the connection points.

The vapor separator is made of steel. I stripped of its paint and cleaned out with carb cleaner. I then checked for cracks and pits from the outside...none were present. I then reinforced all lines with Quicksteel and painted. This can be seen in the pics.

Final assembly was a little difficult only with getting good fits with the 3 small lines from the vapor separator and the right tank...lots of test fittings and hose trimmings. Eventually, I got good fits with minimal stress. For the remaining lines, I incorporated bent pipes for routing. The final piping arrangement is different from that shown in the interim pics...this was necessary during final test fits.

After all was installed, I left the hoses unclamped for a few days so as to let the system settle. I then clamped it up with new clamps. The final effort was to place the intake on the engine and check fit the vacuum suction line from the cannister.

After satisfied with the installation, I used plastic tie-downs to emplace permanently.

Thus ends RobzWorkz #8c in one post!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Lookin good.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Too bad you used brake fluid hose. Brake fluid hose is EPDM and is not compatible with fuel or fuel vapor.

4. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Ouch!

Good save...

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    maybe 5 years late. :)

6. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Ok... :)

Isn't the blue hose in the last pic aero quip? That is fuel line, right?

7. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #7 jdamon, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  8. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Can anyone clarify which aeroquip hose they are using? To me it looks like its the blue socketless. But unless I am missing something, that hose is listed as sae100R6 on its side???

Some folks mentioned aeroquip 1525?

9. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Sae100r6 is a universal specification for hydraulic hose

http://4wings.com/lib/files/sae_hoses.pdf

I listed the part number that rob listed in his evap hose diagram, and the part number for the one I used in the post above yours. Not sure about aeroquip 1525, you will have to look up the specs.