365 2+2 Exhaust Concerns | FerrariChat

365 2+2 Exhaust Concerns

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by lashss, May 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I'm in the process of reviving 12685 from a long and neglected storage. Since I acquired the car in February, I've been doing some basic tune up and service to get it road worthy.

I will start a thread summarizing the "revival" in depth.

The previous owner managed to damage the exhaust due to the low ride height. The exhaust is stainless but does not show any markings that would indicate the manufacturer. Two of the "cans" on the driver's side are split. There are some pieces now missing or broken off as a result of shearing over speed bumps or other road hazards.

Who would be the best source for a replacement section of the system? Also, I'm considering the fabrication of a custom system using some, off the shelf components and leaving the existing system off of the car.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    LS

QM#12685

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Can you shoot some pictures, it may help identify the maker of your existing system. Also, try to find a custom muffler shop in your area, if you find a good one, they will be able to fix what you have.

Regards,

Art S.

3. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
  4. onyxco

onyxco Karting

Feb 26, 2006
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    I recently restored my 330gt and decided to run with the Stebro stainless system.
    The price was fair and the system fit pretty nice overall. The muffler shop that installed them used a bit of heat in a few places to get a relaxed fit on the flanges and to also square up the exposed tips. Definately not a simple bolt on, but not alot of extra work to fit either.
    With regard to the sound, I would say that the tone is right in there with the original Ansa system. The car has a good sound.
    The material used is not a real high grade of stainless, but it is nice to have even this grade of ss for the longevity. Overall the Stebro was a good choice in my book!
    mg

5. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Thank for the replies. Yale's post showing the Timevalve link may be the ticket as only the center mufflers are damaged.

Perfect, thank you.

LS

6. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    in terms of sound, Lash, mine are Stebro.

7. AndrewWA

AndrewWA Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2005
    Sunbury, London
    Full Name:
    Andrew Stevens
    We had an exhaust 'guru' build us a new stainless system based on the rusty old one. If you can find an 'old school' exhaust guy in your area that may be an option for you - us being in Australia meant that is was vastly cheaper to go this way rather than trying to import one for the car. Check out www.tomyang.net too for some helpful links and info!

8. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Guys, after examining the exhaust more closely, I decided to repair the existing system.

On the forward driver's side muffler, the front edge was damaged from road hazards. It was split and peeled back. I cut a 5.5x8 inch square section out of the muffler. I picked up some scrap T304 and with the help of a local FChatter, we welded the patch on. It looks pretty good and the leaks are almost all gone. We will revisit one night this week.

On to the valve cover gaskets...

Thanks for the insight!

LS