365 dash | FerrariChat

365 dash

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Dazanz, Aug 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
  2. CARUSO

CARUSO Rookie

Feb 2, 2018
  3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Daren,

I believe that the original "mousehair" in a blackish color was standard on all 365's. However, there were a few cars that were given specialty treatment and/or customized for selected customers. However, I do not know if the customizations were done during the car's construction or afterwards.

With regards to the picture... the material used could be original, but has faded (a lot). The original "mousehar" was very sensitive to sunlight and so it could explain what happened to the car in your picture. One would need to look deeper around the inner dash edges and/or perhaps the backside of the glove box to see if the material in these areas (e.g. areas that were not exposed to sunlight, etc) is still blackish in color.

On a side note... the replacement "mousehair" uses materials that are far more UV stable and so it should maintain its original color and look far longer.

Cheers,

Sam

4. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    this all looks original to me
    original dash matrerial faded while you looked at it.
    don't change it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    shame about the radio though
    yuck

6. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I have a asnew 1978 pioneer KPX9000 which I intend to install, Does anyone know what was the original radio/tape player in this British Ferrari (I assume it was delivered new to Britain) chassis number 18815
    Thanks Daren
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    If you decide to get it recovered in new mouse hair you might first try VHT black fabric spray. I had my Dino recovered years ago and it faded so fast it was silly. I tried a can of VHT and it looked almost as good as new for a long time. I would only try this if you are going to get it recovered anyway as ultimately that is the way to go. Pete at Westminster Upholstery did two of my Dino dashes recently and they were beautiful.

8. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day,

Do you know where they sourced the mousehair replacement fabric (NOS or modern replacement)? I ask, as I understand that Henk from HVL has recreated the mousehair fabric, but used materials that resist fading, etc far better than the original fabric.

Cheers,

Sam

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Daren,

How are you planning on installing the KPX9000 (replacement) stereo? I ask, as the KPX9000 is a shaft style stereo and the first picture shows a mounted DIN style stereo. The issue here is that the console was cut to accommodate the DIN stereo and so holes needed to mount the KPX are gone... and the overall opening would be larger. One might be able to create a mounting mechanism to accommodate the KPX, but one may need an oversize trim plate to address the larger opening. Alternatively one could replace or repair the console wood plate... but this would be a bit of work.

Cheers,

Sam

10. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Hi Sam, if my existing pioneer plate will cover the hole then I will use the metal strips that lock inside the console and the face plate holds it from the outside. If the face plate is to small then I will get fabricate a black metal larger face plate which looks like they have done that in the photo. I sould probably keep,an eye out for another uncut wood panel or centre console, in perfect condition they would be expensive I suspect

I believe this mouse hair has been replaced because I found this 1996 photo showing it had been cut for the terratrip but when my 365 arrives (it's on the water know) I will check to see if it's faded and using a die is a good suggestion thanks racerboy9
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Congrats on the purchase Daren.
    18815 was indeed sold new in the UK. P. Asher is recorded as the first owner. It is in its original colour combination of silver (Grigio Argento Le Sancy 2.443.048) and dark blue interior (VM 3282). It was completely restored between 1993-1996 as you probably know so likely the dash material was replaced then.
    When Autocar Magazine road tested the 365 GT4 in the autumn of 1975, a Voxson stereo is clearly visible. These had been fitted since the first 365s were sold in the UK. Your car was first registered a little later than the Autocar article on 1 April 1976 so I can't be sure but probably a Voxson was originally fitted (the build date of your 365 was 2 December 1975).
    There are a few threads here discussing the precise Voxson model.

12. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Thank you David for telling me that information, from what I can see and find out though it seems the 1975 Voxson was a 8 track player?
    I have a great selection of cassette tapes that I have been collecting so may stick to my KPX9000

13. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    is this the 8 track ?
    Heavy cumbersome POS
    I have this one I don't need if anyone is interested Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Daren,

Understood. Indeed, I agree that a perfect condition console would be pricey and no doubt tough to find. In the past I have seen 365 owner's replace their wood console with the Aluminum version as used on the C4's. In fact there was someone a number of years ago that remade these and were selling them for about $1700 or $1800 US on Ebay. I was considering this replacement on my car, as then I could place my original wood console for safe keeping... and slightly modernize the interior (for whatever reason I tend to like metal finishes over wood). I have not seen the aluminum consoles offered in recent times and so I suspect that the person who made the ones on Ebay simply made a limited number.

Thank you for the info and picture of the mousehair... and the "terratrip"... I have never seen one before. To me it looks somewhat out of place within the elegant confines of the 365, but it was a different time.

Cheers,

Sam

15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Howard,

Indeed, these are like boat anchors...I bought one a while back to glean some ideas about a replacement stereo project that I have been slowly working on. Although these Voxson units look to have been factory installed (including the speakers within the doors), they are not overly useful these days. My plan was to design a very similar looking stereo front panel, but with more modern (and smaller... and lighter) electronics in behind. The goal is/was to provide the look, but actually have something usable. The electronics are the easy part and I already have this prototyped (streaming Bluetooth, Digital radio, etc), however, the front side is what I am battling with.. that and some free time.

Cheers,

Sam

16. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
  17. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
  18. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Henk is the way to go on the mouse hair.

19. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    That wavy pattern is Dino Vinyl. Originally this material was simply flocked dino vinyl.

View attachment 2589042

Similar wavy pattern, NOS part is a bit darker, hair is similar.[/QUOTE]

20. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Thanks, if I understood correctly the material used on the dash board of 17295 (or of other cars of the same period like Daytona, Dino, 365 GTC4) was the result of flocking a Dino Vinyl. The mouse hair being gone in most parts today, could the material be re-flocked in order to restore the original look and feel?

[/QUOTE]