365 GT 2+2 pics | FerrariChat

365 GT 2+2 pics

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 410SA, Jan 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Blue and Borranis suit it very well !

Is something on your mind for this week end auction ? :)

2. stevehuck

stevehuck Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Sterling Hgts, Mi
    Full Name:
    Steven Huck
    Very very very very very nice!

3. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    That is a beautiful car. I appreciate the work that undoubtedly went into it. I'm doing a body restoration of 1969 Euro Model S/N 12293.
    I have a few questions that I hope you might be willing to answer.
    Is it really blue? It looks black on my screen.
    Why are the tail lamp housings body-colored instead of shiny and flat chrome?
    What is the Serial Number and Model Year? (I'm collecting known 365 GT 2+2 photos as reference material for my restoration.)
    Did you restore or replace the interior? If yes to either, where did you go for the restoration parts or materials?
    Again it's a beauty. Congratulations.
    Tom Kizer

4. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Absolutely awsome! Thanks for the pix. Now I have to go and wipe the drool off my keyboard!

5. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Color: It is dark blue, very close to Pozzi
    Tail Lamps: I chose to do the tail lamps that way as I thought it really fit well with this color
    Interior: The interior is all new. The leather is light grey
    The major work was done by a restorer in S. Cal that I have worked with for several years.

The car was originally red but it had faded to an orangey red slush. The interior was tan but was badly worn so I decided to to do the whole car.

6. dgrperformance

dgrperformance Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    #7 dgrperformance, Jan 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have seen your car in the past in the backround of your others car shots, I am currently working on another queen here in So Cal painted the same color as yours but has a tan interior. I would love two get a picture of the two cars together before you sell yours if that would be possible. Good luck to you this weekend hope you find something nice.

Zac
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Stunning!!!!! Odds are, it didn't even look that good when it came out of the factory.

8. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Both 365s are beautiful! Great Job!

9. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Dumb question time - you obviously spent a boatload of cash restoring this vehicle. You want to sell it BEFORE you enjoy it to......find another money pit at auction? I love you guys......never a shortage of amusement here.

10. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I'm pleased to provide amusement for your pleasure.
    I guess it's all about the chase......
    I have enjoyed it. The process of bringing something back to life is really very rewarding - sometimes more so than merely possessing it.
    It's really easy to find a perfect car, and then stare at it parked in your garage because you are too terrified to get a speck of dust on its perfection.
    I can't do that. I like to breathe life back into them, improve them, drive them and then pass them on for someone else to enjoy.

davemqv and Bowzer like this.
  11. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I guess my tone might have been a bit harsh, but when looking at the pics of your car over and over again, it doesn't look like you've even driven the thing. And now you're ready to part with it? I'm not following the logic, so I'll just quietly shake my head....

12. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    You don't wash and clean your cars after you use them?
    I do. My cars always look as good as possible. The Queen was out this weekend for a good hard run. It also participated in the Concorso Arizona a couple of months ago, and it wasn't trucked to the the event!
    It draws a lot of attention and it's a very easy car to drive making it popular in my rotation. Unlike the old Jags which can take a good fifteen minutes to start, the Queen fires right up without hesitation.

13. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I've seen the term 'Queen Mother' used on Tom Yang's site to refer to this car model.....why? Did she have one? Or is the car that 'Big'?

14. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Both Queen Mary and Queen Mother are both used widely, even by respected authors like Blumel. Both, I think, refer to the 365GT 2+2 size.

15. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    It looks stunning Alex!

16. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #17 Bryanp, Jan 20, 2006
    the 365GT 2+2 is the longest Ferrari ever produced. 16'-4". The term "queen mother" was made popular for the 365GT2+2 by the title of the 1969 Road & Track article featuring the car (s/n 12333)- definitely a size reference

big magnificent beasts - nimbler than you might think. 4.4 liter v-12 good for 320hp.

davemqv likes this.
  17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    #18 donv, Jan 20, 2006
    Dark colors look very good on 365 2+2s. Someday, when I repaint mine, I may have to go for a dark blue. Mine was originally silver, now resale red.

davemqv likes this.
  18. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    This reference is mainly made due to the luxury appointments this model has and thus being compared to the Queen Mary cruise ship which was the most luxurious at the time

19. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Pmo75, davemqv and Bryanp like this.
  20. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Love It! Definitely highlights the lines. Mine is black, and I don't plan to change the color, but if I ever repaint it, silver will definitely be an option. BTW, mine originally left the factory azure hyperion but its original CA pink slip indicates black.

21. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Looks really good, Don. The metallics really pull out the subtle stem-to-stern crease above the wheel well. Good call.

22. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Well i'll go to the foot of our stairs.

tyre fitment for exotica from this period is difficult to define, and it is pictorial evidence like this that keeps me on my toes, and helps me get closer to defining it more accurately.

Until i had seen these pictures we were pretty convinced that the OE tyre for this car was the 205VR15 Cinturato CN72 as we list on this web page https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/365.html although interestingly i do have an American book that lists 215R15, & i have an English book that lists a 200-15

If anyone can correct me on any of the detail on this page please let me know i want it to be correct. and if there is any pictorial evidence such as brochures build sheets etc, please post them here or email them to me.

What has intrigued me about this, is the spare XWX in the boot, a 670 V 15 Michelin X. that sort of is a XWX, the carcass and tread pattern looks the same as the XWX, but it just says "Michelin X" on the side wall.

Interestingly In my Michelin classic tyres book of 2000 this tyre is still listed. I wonder if there is any originality connected to this tyre or was this a tyre that was fitted later, because the CN72 Cinturato was not available and 670V15 was the tallest tyre available at the time. Actually looking at the dimensions i have for this tyre it is pretty close to the 205VR15 Cinturato CN72 thatt i thought was OE.

I have historically been informed of an XWX that was called an X in the boot of a 1968 Daytona, which when i was told about it changed my understanding of what tyres went on what cars.

To make it more complicated it could be, that they fitted different tyres for different countries.

Any clarification would be gratefully received.

23. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Very beautiful example. I am looking at a 365GT to hopefully buy. Can you please indicate where these cars are prone to have any hidden rust which I would have to be extra careful to find during an inspection? Thank you

24. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    These cars don't rust too badly. My repaint was a bare metal job, and there was a little bit of rust in the bottom of the doors and a few spots, but on the whole very little. Pininfarina's build quality was excellent, especially in comparison to the Scaglietti-built cars of the era (Daytona, for example).

Of course, my car has been in the pacific northwest sine 1979, and northern California for at least a few years before that, so maybe not the best example.

Bowzer likes this.