365 GT 2+2 tachometer cable | FerrariChat

365 GT 2+2 tachometer cable

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Gary Baldy, Nov 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary Baldy

Gary Baldy Rookie

Oct 30, 2022
    Full Name:
    Gary Baldwin
    I'm wondering if anybody knows the part number for the tachometer cable for a 1970 365 GT 2+2? I can't seem to find it referenced anywhere. Also, if the OEM part is not available anymore are there any known alternatives?

2. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    I think you could call Bill Young at GT Car Parts in Phoenix, 623 780 2200. He would know.

Bill

Gary Baldy likes this.
  3. manicotto

manicotto Rookie

Jun 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    RM
    Thanks Dogdish! I'll do that.

Dogdish likes this.
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Any speedometer shop worth their name should be able to make a replacement.

5. Gary Baldy

Gary Baldy Rookie

Oct 30, 2022
    Full Name:
    Gary Baldwin
    Good idea. Thanks!

6. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    obviously bring yours to the shop - sheathing and the inside cable - sometimes they dont always have the correct ends - so if your trying to say orig look, they can reuse an end if needed.

Gary Baldy likes this.
  7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the end is mostly pressed

Gary Baldy likes this.
  8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Also, if sheathing and ends are OK and the owner prefers to retain them for the appearance of originality (which no one else will likely care nor even notice after installation), one can ask if they're willing to make just an cable insert (though it has to be matched to the original, both in length and diameter). Some speedometer shops will probably not accommodate such request.

Gary Baldy likes this.
  9. Gary Baldy

Gary Baldy Rookie

Oct 30, 2022
    Full Name:
    Gary Baldwin
    Thanks for all suggestions! Removed, cleaned and lubed the original cable. Looks OK to me now, but I'm taking it to a speedometer shop to see if they can have the inner cable replaced. I don't ever want to take the tachometer out again. It turned out to be quite a job even with help from a more mechanically inclined buddy - it almost seems the factory put in the tachometer first and build the dashboard and console around it! :)

On this note, does anybody know of someone who rebuilds and/or repacks the right angle drive to the distributor? Asking for the same reason, even though it's a lot easier to access than the tachometer. Scope creep, I know...