365 gt 2+2 vs 330 gt 2+2 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

365 gt 2+2 vs 330 gt 2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by riverflyer, Aug 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    #51 lukek, Sep 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Hey Luke, I wish they had carried over more of the 250 front end light clusters, grill etc to the 330. IMO a nicer, more interesting ensemble.

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    John,

They did. 330 America. Looks like Lukes car.

Art S.

4. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Art, well that must be the perfect car then. Too bad for me they only made 50 of them. Any pics?

5. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The 330 America looks exactly the same as the 250 GTE except for a chrome script on the trunk lid.

Out of the original 50 330 Americas, only 17 remain as complete cars.

If I'm wrong on either statement, someone please post correct info.

The boss 330 America/Vintage 2+2 web page:

http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari.html

6. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    Another helpful site for info on the 330gt is Kerry's great registry site
    http://www.parrotbyte.com/330GTRegistry/

You can search by serial number and find out a lot about prospective cars and their history.

7. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    My wife already requested a pendant that resembles the light cluster (see my avatar) of the 250 GTE. She wants 3 diamonds for: headlight, fog, and directional. I suspect this will be the Gallardo wife tax (Maserati replacement at the end of 2006). The wife tax for the 250 was an MBA a few years back....
    All is fair in love and war !
    :)

8. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I find thos front-engined 2+2's mighty sexy. Who needs a Daytona? :D

well...

9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Sam,

One more piece of advice on filling those holes in your front bumper. Get the spotlights vs. the foglights and if you can deal with the letters on the lense, get the IODE (quartz iodine?) ones. They are slightly later but wow! The output is similar to a police car spotlight, two of them up front and you can compete with anything modern.

Art S.

10. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    Any chance the current owners would want to sell DBR?
    I kinda doubt it but that is quite a beautiful 330!!!!!

11. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Thank you for the compliment! Alot of money has been put into it over the last 1.5 years and it really runs great. I did a complete ownership history after I bought it (what fun!) and discovered that Prince Bernhard was the first owner and author Cornelius Ryan was the second owner. The two became friends during the writing of "A Bridge Too Far". The Prince personally verified his ownership just weeks before he died last year. As you can tell, I've become attached to the car so it is not for sale.

Ferrari 330 GT Registry
    Registry for 330 GT and America models. On-line looup and searches by serial number.
    http://www.parrotbyte.com/330GTRegistry

The above is an excellent site for all things 330 GT. You can see the complete histoy of my car on this site- serial # 9119 if you are interested.

Dan

12. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    Thanks soo much DBR..... If you change your mind down the road, please keep me in mind. I will pay top dollar for it (very serious)..... An excellent example 330 (series 2) is on my list along with an 88'-90' TR. Whichever comes first..
    Either way, (view my public profile) I would love to have both in my garage someday... :)

13. DBR328&330

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    I will keep you in mind. I see you own a 88 328 GTS. Funny, I own a 88 328 GTB. I find owning a 328 and 330 covers alot of the Ferrari spectrum. There are no redundancies in owning these two,

Dan

14. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    I own a Series II 330GT (#9727) and a US 365GTC/4 (#14947) they are both terrific cars, well set up, but drive as different as night and day. I would srtongly advise never buy a car because they are going up in price. Buy a car because you love the way it feels, handles and sounds. Michael Bayer

15. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I second Michael's comments.

Art S.

16. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI

Art,

I will try to get pictures of the holes with measurements. Frankly, my car does not spend many nights out so the vintage lights will work fine. Thanks for the offer of help. As a point of interest, I used to own long ago a '66 Fitch Sprint Corvair and it mounted a Lucas Flamethrower as one of its high beams...talk about light!
    Sam

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Sam,

I look forward to the pictures. The 'iode' lights I mentioned are similar to marchals that were mounted on the 250 GTO the only difference in appearance is the word IODE on the glass in addition to the Marchal script. I presently have one iode and one regular one on the car, unless you try to read the lenses, you can't tell them apart (during the day). By the way, I don't have any spares of these, only the old 5.5" round ones.

Does your car have a series one dash or a series two dash? I think the F pull switch on the series one dash was for the foglights. Mine isn't wired in like this but if it is ndeed for the foglights, I will rewire mine accordingly.

Regards,

Art S.

19. DBR328&330

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Hi Matt,

Cool history! I didnt realize your car was originally white. Its been all over Europe! Beautiful in silver!

Dan

20. DBR328&330

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Hi Michael,

Can you explain how the two drive differently? They are not that far apart age-wise. BTW, nice silver 330. Did you redo the interior from the old photos. I noticed you got several platinums with it.

Dan

21. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Art, Maybe we should start a new thread called INTO THE LIGHT ;) I have a series II dash with switches to left of wheel. I do not have a wired switch for the lights per se, but surmise that they might have been mounted at some point by the wear around the bumper holes and probably operated by toggle switch under the dash. I would like to do so again to make the car more useful at night, as well as distinctive. It is akin to finding and mounting a passenger headrest which apparently was ordered with my car but now long gone.

22. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Dan: My GTC/4 is actually in far better condition than the 330 which has won several Platnums and one first. Where to start. While close in age they are decades apart in feel, the 330 is all late 50s and 60s Ferrari in handing and touch, the GTC/4 is more like a mid 70s and beyond Ferrari in feel and responsiveness. In the 330 you sit tall and up right, the GTC/4 low and reclined, the 330 is camed for high speed touring so the mid to top end is where the torque is, the GTC/4 is camed for the lower to mid range, the 330 is tons of visibility outside, lots of wood and leather within, the GTC/4 outside is all hood, the interior more stark and business like, my cars have proper ANSA exhausts, the 330 sounds almost elegant, the GTC/4 well, there is no other Ferrari (street piped) that sounds quite as amazing, the 330 smells like a 60s car, the GTC/4 more like an 80s car. Most of all, every one recognizes the 300 as a Ferrari, the GTC/4 with the bumper painted the same color as the car (it is a stunningly transforms the car) always gets a double take, and few Ferrari guys know what it is (remember there are only about 375 left of the 500 very uniquely designed GTC/4s made, whereas the 330, more scarce at 250 survivors, shares many design elements with earlier models. Michael Bayer

23. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I do that with my 72 Lotus.

Ken

24. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think it's fascinating how there is such a clear dividing line between the two eras. The 365GT 2+2 is solidly on the vintage side, and the 365GTC/4 is firmly on the modern side.

It's remarkable how different they feel, given their mechanical specs are not all that different.

25. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I just got back from a trip to drive/see several cars I am interested in. This thread has been very informative and has helped "gel" the thought process. I went to S. Cal to test 400gt Lambo, Maserati Ghibli and 330 GT 2+2. The Ghibli is a very beautiful design and feels and looks like a muscle car. Not as refined as its ferrari counterparts, but a great interior, good space and great engine sounds. Sure, its not a 12, but is a very nice ride and great to look at or be in. Fits my tall frame pretty well. Nice driver in good condition and much more modest price which is attrative as well.
    Lambo was more work and more things to fix/repair/restore. More expensive to sort out, more expensive to get into but values rising strongly. Design is a love it or hate it thing, but I personally love it. Very interesting, curved glass. strong hoirzontal belt lines, nice visibility, a long narrow and beautiful touring car with nice sounds 6 webbers and 4 cams. Quite a package. The car in question needs a fair investment and the test drive was somewhat inconclusive as it was not set up anywhere near optimally, yet I could still get enough feel to gauge what it would be like sorted out.
    The 330 in question sold the day before I could get there. On the way home, I was able to stop and drive a very nice 365 gt 2+2 though and I loved that car. By far, the most comfortable Italian car of the pre 550/360 vintage I have experienced. Great comfort, great visiblity, nice sounds. A car you could get on the highway and travel for hours and arrive relaxed and not all cramped up from a tight or uncomfortable driving position. Downsides are its strengths, ie size, length and weight. I can imagine the coupe would be a very nice ride all together but not easy to find(and or afford?!) The gtc would be worth stretching out for financially imo. CAn anyone tell me about the relative cockpit, and especially drivers, dimensions between 330gtc and 365gtc? I fit in the 330 but not with the ease and comfort of the 365. Would this difference hold true in the coupes as well?