365 GTB or Datsun based 250 GTO? | FerrariChat

365 GTB or Datsun based 250 GTO?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by XR4turbo, Jun 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XR4turbo

XR4turbo Rookie

Jul 11, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Lucien
  2. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    240.. easy.

That credibility of that site is pretty much -100 right now.

3. XR4turbo

XR4turbo Rookie

Jul 11, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Lucien
  4. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hmm.. might be fun to rattle their cages. The irony is that I had my volume turned off when I watched the video.

Nobody would go with F car running gear in a Z.

5. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
  6. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The owner is very enthusiastic about it. It's too bad he says its a 1962 Ferrari GTO in the beginning. Its a Z made to look like a GTO.

8. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    #8 xs10shl, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
    It's definitely clear that there are a number of 240Z components on the interior of the car, but its still possible that the builder of the car shortened a Ferrari frame to match the 240Z wheelbase, and dropped a modified Datsun body on top of it. This would explain TST's position that they saw the running gear and proclaimed it of Ferrari origin. i suppose this method would also make it a re-bodied Ferrari, and not a modified Z.

But the more I think about it, I'd guess that it's a modified 240Z. One picture of the underside would clear everything up.

9. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    The "GTO" in this video is a unibody, or at least all the signs are there, that its a unibody. I don't know where "the original Ferrari chassis" would go in that equation. They keep claiming the "original Ferrari frame" was used.

10. MattF NYMC

MattF NYMC Formula 3

Oct 26, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matt Farah
    Ok guys, I'm the host and producer of that show, and I know how much everyone is wanting to "call bull****" or whatever, and say I don't have credibility anymore, etc. I've been an FChat member for a long time, and though I'm no Jay Leno, I know my way around cars just a little bit. Here is what we have to say about that car:

- The car was accurately reported in the video by the car's owner as being "a frankenstein of parts," not as being an authentic Ferrari GTO.

- That list of parts includes the AUTHENTIC Engine, Transmission, and Suspension from a 1968 Ferrari 365 GTC (not GTB, as originally reported, but nevertheless), which was wrecked in the early 1970's.

- The body, interior, glass, and trim of this car are not authentic, nor have we ever passed them off as such.

- One of our interns responded to a YouTube comment as stating that the chassis is original Ferrari. He was mis-informed, and that is not the case. I don't know what the chassis is, and didn't ask, but I'm inclined to believe that it's a Datsun-based unibody car. It could also be a modified Ferrari 365 frame with this replica body dropped on it. Either way, incomplete information. I do know, for a 100% certainty, that it's registered as a Ferrari and not as a Datsun.

- The owner of the car has agreed to send us engine photos when he returns home from a business trip, and assures us that these engine photos will clear up the "controversy" of whether or not there is a V12 under there.

- The fact that we didn't shoot the engine of the car was merely an oversight caused by the simple fact we only had 1 hour with that car, versus 4 hours with the Ford GT. We also didn't shoot the interior, or any statics of the GTO because we didn't have time.

- Those who say the engine sounds like a six instead of a 12 would probably like to know that we clipped the microphone to one side of the dual exhaust, so you're only hearing six of the twelve cylinders. Our audio recording equipment is the best we can afford, but far from the best available.

- I have driven quite a few 240Z's. This car is significantly faster in a straight line than those cars were, and I would say has at least 300 horsepower.

If that's not good enough for you guys, I'm sorry, but I don't have anything else to prove. If that makes you think I'm no longer credible, then that makes me sad, but we've done all we can do to represent this car accurately, with the exception of a mis-informed intern's YT comment post.

11. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Look forward to seeing the pics. It does make a lot more sense if it has a GTC motor than a Daytona unit, which IMO sounds very different to the single cam unit.

12. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    To prove that it is real you need to post the engine number. In addition please post a photo of the engine in the car from the headlight forward, not just a close up shot of the engine.

13. MattF NYMC

MattF NYMC Formula 3

Oct 26, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matt Farah
    I will post whatever photos I have whenever I have them. If the owner provides engine numbers, I'll post those too, but it is our position that the owner of this car accurately represented it on camera. I've gone way out of my way to provide a good, logical explanation of what this car is, and what it isn't.

I stopped posting on FChat 2 years ago because every time someone showed something cool, there were dozens of people waiting to jump down their throats to call them frauds, demanding VIN and Serial numbers. Quite frankly, it's that kind of attitude that gives Ferrari owners and enthusiasts a bad name. I'm not Carbon McCoy, and I'm not going to shake down the owner for serial numbers.

14. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's not so much that you aren't credible.. it's just that labeling this as a 250 GTO is pretty far off the mark.

There were only 36 GTO's made, and all are pretty well documented. Regardless of the engine (which wouldn't be correct either) or the make on the registration this simply isn't one of the 36.

I would call it a good period-inspired GTO replica, but my guess is that the keyword summary of "Ferrari 250 GTO" probably gets you in front of some more viewers along the way, does it not?

FWIW, I don't really care about serial numbers.. just honesty in advertising.

15. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Whatever it is I think it downright cool. Frankenstein it may be but I sure wouldn't mind it being in my laboratory.
    I've had a crappy day today and watching that clip really made me smile.
    It's all about having fun anyway....right?

16. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    So you think you are credible but you don't know that it's a replica?

The owner himself said it was a re-bodied GTB. He doesn't even know his own car?
    I really, really, really doubt it has a Ferrari chassis. Why would a 365 chassis have a rear strut? But I guess you admit that in your post here.

Are you a politician?

I hear what you are saying about everyone jumping down the throats of a newbie saying he just bought a new Ferrari. It's just that we get so many kids here trying to look cool, it just gets old.

The other problem is we have a guy recently trying to sell a very good replica as an original 250 GTO. Really? He thinks he can sell a one of 36 car on a Ferrari web site that is a replica?

I just wish you and the owner had said the word replica or tribute when describing the Z.

The fact that you didn't know it was a Z at first glance makes you lose all credibility. I guess Google can't teach everything.

Next on The Smoking Tree, a rebodied MR2.

17. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Just to give the benefit of the doubt, I can see how a 365 rear coilover can be mistaken for a strut. It's an enormous unit mounted high in the body as a strut would be. Given a casual glance, it could easily be mistaken for one, I would think.

Perhaps we can get a picture of the rear undercarriage as well. I'd like to see how they mounted the transaxle. Looks doable, but it would be interesting to get the complete picture.

18. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    We will never get a "complete" picture. If this car has 365GTC4 engine, where is the famous Webber side draft sound?

19. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    That's pretty much what its like when you are dealing with the crown jewel of all car makes. We know of one or two 240Z-based replica projects with Ferrari engines, so why could this not be one of them? And the serial number thing is only interesting because we'd like to know what it really was that was scrapped and why. What still exists often is the only evidence we will ever find. Best wishes, Kare

20. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    No dog in this fight but he said 1968 365GTC NOT a 1971 365GTC/4 engine. Very different powerplant. The 365GTC has 3 downdraft webers and single cam, versus 6 side draft webers and double cam for the C4.
    Having said that, there is the famous saying when you get a Ferrari you are purchasing the engine, the rest of the car comes free. So IF I did a show on ANY Ferrari the FIRST thing is show the engine. No other car sounds or feels like a Ferrari. Some look similar but that flat plane crank makes a distintive noise. Just my 2 cents.
    John

21. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    I completely understand they are two different engines and cars :). However on another a forum and in the Youtube comments section, the engine was being referred to as a 365GTC/4 mill, so something isn't adding up. All I'm after is the truth. If it is a Ferrari engine and transmission combo stuffed into a Z platform, cool. If not, someone is lying.

22. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Flat plane crank is the thing that makes a V8 sound like a Toyota. Nothing to do with vintage V12s.

23. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Actually it's the "more than you can afford, pal.. Ferrari" crowd that gives them a bad name. See the 355/360/430 section for more details. ;)

There is a lot of wacky stuff out there and some people in the vintage section are (rightly) obsessed with figuring out the real story, good or bad. I don't blame them- from what I can tell it was pretty murky before Fiat stepped in.

In this case it's up in the air if it's actually even related to Ferrari at all. You do not have those answers, hence the thread. Nobody is judging the car because it's not 'cool' enough.. pretty sure I'd love to come across a Datsun Z with a salvaged V12 Ferrari drivetrain (err.. actually, that's a great idea) but it would probably remain stock on the outside.

Yes, people on this sub-forum would go into seizures upon mere mention of it.. but most wouldn't refuse a spin behind the wheel. We're a funny bunch like that. :)

24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hi, Matt - long time no see. Hope things are going well for you and yours.

Do take heed of Chris's bellwether observation.

25. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    Beating a dead horse, I know. I just noticed on youtube your description of the video.

Nowhere does it mention rebody or replica or tribute etc.