365GTC Transmission | FerrariChat

365GTC Transmission

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 365GTC, Sep 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 365GTC

365GTC Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Lexington, Virginia
    Operates normally in reverse, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but will not fully engage in 4th or 5th. Will partially go into 4th and 5th, but pops out. Car was stored for long periods and the clutch would freeze. After driving in one gear for a few minutes, the clutch would free up and operate as usual. If it sits a month or so, it is fine, so need to drive more frequently, but now the 4th and 5th gears will not work.

thank you for your suggestions!!!

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Could be a problem with the synchromesh on 4th and 5th?

3. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    I'd investigate the clutch adjustment first, then I'd look at the shift rod adjustment which is somewhat sensitive.

One time I had an intermittent problem with getting into different gears, It turned out to be the clutch housing-to- chassis frame locating rod rubber donut, which had broken down and was allowing the transmission and engine to move fore and aft on their rubber mounts just enough to affect the gear lever location in the gate.
    In fact when I replaced the donut and and reinstalled the rod it did not take much adjustment of the rod nuts to greatly affect the fore aft location of the shift lever in the gate even with the transmission and engine rubber mounts tightened down, there was enough flex to make a difference.
    Of course the shift rod can be adjusted too, it's hard to get to between the seat and tunnel.