Swaybar: Saner or similarly fabricated | FerrariChat

Swaybar: Saner or similarly fabricated

Discussion in '308/328' started by matt_in_ca, Jun 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matt_in_ca

matt_in_ca Karting

Oct 27, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Hi All,

I've been reading old Fchat threads on the Saner 25mm front / 22mm rear swaybars that used to be produced.

I understand the company is now defunct; I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to obtain one of these old sets? (possibly somebody has a set leftover that has never been installed?)

If not, I was wondering if anybody had recommendations for a swaybar fabrication shop whereby I could work with them to fabricate original 25mm front and 22mm rear swaybars for my 85 308?

Thanks in advance!
    Matt

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm also looking for a 22-24mm rear sway bar as I already have the 25mm front sway bar.

3. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    I would contact the big US anit sway bar companies-Addco, hellwig, Quickor Engineering etc. I know I saw info that one of them would custom make bars.

4. matt_in_ca

matt_in_ca Karting

Oct 27, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Thanks Sunracer. I'll give it a shot.

There were also a couple of Fchatters who had taken the initiative to connect with engineering firms and spec out a production run. However, I'm not sure the status of those efforts.

5. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
  6. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  7. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Sorry. www.rocksauto.ca or pm Rock

8. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  9. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    #9 chrismorse, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sean, (luckydynes) has been thinkingabout doing some bars, since he got hosed on a purchase.

If you are going to have them made, have the bars made a bit wider, or you are going to have some near binding issues.
    The saner bars try to overcome this misalignment with skinney spacers that allow misalignment, BUT, they are too thin and cannot be torqued properly, so, i lost a nut and washer one track day.
    You can fix this by using safety washers, longer bolts and a nut for a spacer, but it would just be easier and cleaner to have them done right the first time.

For what it is worth, make the female heim joint the one on top, (come on guys keep it clean). If the female is on the bottom, water can get in, corroding the joint. (isn't that the way it always goes:)

OOps, it looks like someone snuck a picture in there of an old bar manufacturer.

shiney side up,
    chris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. matt_in_ca

matt_in_ca Karting

Oct 27, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Dude, this is hilarious

I definitely want Rock making my swaybars over this guy(?)

:)

11. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    That is not Sean, that is probably the other guy that made the narrow bars, jsut a guess.

chris

12. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Does anybody have experience with the superformace beefed up sway bars?

13. matt_in_ca

matt_in_ca Karting

Oct 27, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't imagine an 18mm bar making any sort of handling difference in our cars. Especially without a new front bar to complement it.

Besides, somebody in another thread previously wrote that the stock QV rear sway bar is 19mm. If that's true, that means that Superformance's is actually 1mm smaller!

14. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #14 miketuason, Jun 11, 2012
    I don't know how accurate my measurement is but, here's what I measure off of my stock 84 QV rear sway bar. Do I have the Superformance sway bar or is this stock? Either way I definitely need a larger one.

15. matt_in_ca

matt_in_ca Karting

Oct 27, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I've reached out to Rocks Auto to see what they can do and what kind of discount we can get if we bring a pool of buyers together. I'll reach out to the others suggested above as well.

16. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sounds good, let's try to get a group buy discount.

17. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Chris, I was looking to update my Avatar.

Thanks for that picture man. :)

18. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Cool,

Then you would have a happy face instead of that old scowling mug.

Rock on Dude,
    chris

19. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm interested in a F/R set if you get a group buy together.
    Just let me know. It's getting to be "suspension time".....

20. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok, now I remember, thanks Robert for reminding me. The 18mm rear sway bar on the GTS is indeed stock. Being a GTS they did installed a larger bar than the GTBs from the factory for more rigidity.

21. matt_in_ca

matt_in_ca Karting

Oct 27, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #21 matt_in_ca, Jun 13, 2012
    I made several calls to Swaybar fabricators.

Rock's Auto (http://www.rocksauto.ca/), recommended by Fave, seems superb. I have no doubt that the bar that Rocco at Rock's Auto would produce a stellar swaybar that is an ideal fit for our cars. However, I don't know many details of his bar. For instance, he wasn't able to provide for me the diameters of the bars as he would make them (not to say that we couldn't simply tell him what diameter we wish to have). Also, his bars are pricey: $1,600 for the front and rear. No group discounts are offered.

Hellwig can custom make bars for us out of 4130 heat treated steel. They need photos of the bar to firm up pricing, but initially quoted about $450 for the base model bar, but stated that the 4130 would be about double the price. This doesn't make sense, for that would mean that the full set would be $1,800, which seems way too high for Hellwig. He's open to group discounts if we can organize >10 people.

I had a good long talk with the swaybar engineer at Addco. He made a big case for not going with materials commonly used for high performance swaybar production (i.e. 4130, 5160, and 9263 steel). My relaying of his points wouldn't do them justice. However, see the attachment for his explanation why his 1045 bar milled to his specs is best. His regular price is $700 for the front and rear, and is definitely able to give group buy discounts, even for smaller groups.

So, to summarize, Rock's and Addco seem to be the most promising, with huge price differences between the two. I'm interested in people's thoughts, especially those people who expressed interest in a swaybar group buy.

Matt

22. jrinehart

jrinehart Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2009
    Chambersburg, PA
    Full Name:
    John Rinehart
    Addco have a good reputation from what I have heard and have been making sway bars for a long time. I had some in my Z28 and they transformed the car from understeer to much more neutral handling. 60,000 miles with no problem when I sold the car. They should know what works best. I would go with them.

23. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    PLease notify me if a group buy is in the offing with whomever.

24. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Does anyone have the specs for the ABS 328's anti sway bars? Rhett? I know that they are different because the part number is different and I seem to recall that someone tried fitting bigger Saner bars on one and they did not fit?

If anyone can find the specs I would be interested in having some made.

25. johnny308

johnny308 Karting

Dec 3, 2011
    Greenfield, MA. USA
    Chatters,

Having custom sway bars made is/was NOT hard. In the past I had several different sizes made for different formula race cars by “local” folks that make rebar fabrications for cement reinforcements.

I needed to furnish the steel and they did the rest.

I need to service my 1982 308 over the weekend and I will have a look at the angles and see how difficult it seems.

Safe driving.