375+ # 0384 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

375+ # 0384

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by tongascrew, Jul 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tad Cody

Tad Cody Formula 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Over here!
    Full Name:
    Take a guess...
    Really? Maybe I read it wrong, but I got a much more inherently protective vibe from his posts, i.e. that of boyfriend/lover. I'd be willing to wager... oh, hell... Joe? You put your name out there... please elucidate the connection.

Either way, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the crescendo!

-Tad

2. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    The FML article is a very interesting read !

3. chroush

chroush Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    Will,

Unlike the daily newspapers in this country, the Ferrari Market Letter does not give away its content for free on the Internet. Sorry.

I'm a big believer in the concept that information is valuable, and to post it here would dramatically lessen that value.

Chris Roush

4. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Would anyone be able to summarize the key facts or new information from this piece? If possible, thanks in advance!

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Give FML some business, it's available in on-line format to subscribers, I believe....you don't have to wait for the mail!!

Thanks for joining in, Chris.....

6. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Indeed information is valuable. And my subscription to FML is overdue. Thanks Chris.

7. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Chris

Quite right! Keep up the good work...

Will

8. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I'd like to read the article too, but not necessarily enough to spend $40 for a 6th month subscription which seems to be the least expensive option that is offered. Perhaps an iTunes-like ala carte model could be adopted sometime in the future on an article by article basis?

Just a suggestion. :)

>8^)
    ER

9. chroush

chroush Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    It is a valid suggestion. We're making a lot of changes, so let me see if that can be one of them.

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Nice and well written article Chris.

Nice shot of original chassis plate.

I assume as it would be a clear violation of their stated rules Classsiche has not certified this car as it's original chassis plate is not affixed to it today.

Am I correct?

11. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I guess a few people missed this article that was linked much earlier in the thread:

A portion of which reads:

Pretty obvious from that who is playing the role of OJ here and what his motivations are.

>8^)
    ER

12. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    If there's one thing I've learned in dealings with the press, it's that they seldom tell the whole story and frequently get it all wrong.

Best to hear it firsthand, particularly since he's been variously reported to be an attorney, an architect and a car broker from Miami...er, Ohio.

13. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I agree that everything in print should be questioned, however the portions of two of OJ's posts match the story supplied in the article and seem to refute some people's speculation here that he's an attorney.

Now if you are saying that you don't believe what he's written here then that's an entirely different matter.

>8^)
    ER

14. Ocean Joe

Ocean Joe Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 21, 2008
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph Ford III
    announcement about some media coverage that you will want to see.

I just do not yet know when to have you tune in to see it . . . yet.

I will post when and where tomorrow when I get the info.

15. Ocean Joe

Ocean Joe Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 21, 2008
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph Ford III
    It is with a local Cincinnati station but it is for an NPR (National Public Radio) airing so it likely will be national and on their website. I hear they were trying to get Swaters on the show as well.

I do not know when it airs, and will post it when I do. It could be today.

16. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Do let us know what the court rules.

17. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    From Anamera website:

0384AM was finalized January 25, 1954, it was used as factory team car by Umberto Maglioli and went of the street during the Giro di Sicilia, the car received a different nose shape, Maglioli was leading in the MM until he was retiring at the Futa pass, but in Silverstone Froilan Gonzales won the Daily Express Trophy. Maglioli started in the 1954 Targa Florio and in Le Mans it was a dnf with Paolo Marzotto and Umberto Maglioli. It was sold in 1954 to Kimberly and raced by him in 1955 for a couple of races before being sold to Howard Hively. Sold to atomic scientist Karl Kleve of Cincinatti in 1958. The car burned, the engine was out of the car, a portion of the car was stolen from Kleve in late 1988. Appears in Brussels, Belgium in the hands of Jacques Swaters, though still on Interpols stolen car list.

Mysteriously renumbered to 0394AM and then back to 0384AM. Theft and ownership claims now in a Cincinnati Court: Swaters vs. Kleve heir.

... it all is very cloudy .. The car is today with Jacques Swaters.

0394AM was an engine only

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gr. Martin

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Did Ferrari create a serial number plate for the car when it was restored? If not, is the car still 'eligible' for Ferrari sanctioned events?
    CH

19. OldRacer

OldRacer Rookie

Apr 4, 2010
    Miami to Monaco (MM)
    Full Name:
    Allen Markelson
    Well, I just read the FML article. It's coming clear now. In the article on 0384AM it cited Swater's lawyers statements about this 375Am at Maranello - a surprise to even the Ohio judge. Well, I was there. I was in front of everyone when the series of events happened to my surprise. Forget second hand info. It ain't what was written. I should set the record straight on this as the bending of truth with my name assoicated pisses me off. Shame on them. Sorry OJ, I don't want to PM you, no hidden discussions - I am too old for affairs!

20. Ocean Joe

Ocean Joe Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 21, 2008
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph Ford III
    #145 Ocean Joe, Aug 8, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010

Mr. Markelson,

By all means, set the record straight.

The core issue is should Swaters profit from the theft of someone else's Ferrari, and why was it, while stolen, renumbered to a counterfeit number for ten years?

I too read the FML article. I thought it was pretty good based on the limited time and docs they had to pour over. I have some particulars I may add here, or add by a letter to the editor type thing, to help clarify a few points.

Plus, more has already happened, and more will soon happen, in the Ohio case.

But again, do set things straight since you were there.

Joe

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The Journal of Ferrari History - Cavallino has a feature story about Galleria Ferrari in it's issue #177 (June/July 2010). Two David Gooley images taken inside the public display at Galleria Ferrari are shown on page 29. Which red 375 Plus Spyder was photogrpahed on display there for that story?
    CH

22. Ocean Joe

Ocean Joe Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 21, 2008
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph Ford III
  23. cwebb3

cwebb3 Karting

Dec 16, 2007
    Bloomington, IN, USA
    Full Name:
    Charlie Webb
    Sounds like NPR is just getting up to speed on info we have already heard.
    However, It does sound like a judge is going to make a decision on whether to proceed or dismiss in the next day or so. At that point (if they release his decision) it should have additional info into why the judge decided one way or another. Either way, we might get some new info about the case.

Charlie

24. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    #149 solofast, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
    I heard the NPR blurb this morning on my way to work...

It is interesting to me that they are looking at the statute of limitations angle.

To my mind, Mr. Swatters may be in difficulty on that approach since the car was purported to be 0394 while in his possession, and that would indicate a conscious attempt on his part to disguise the real identity of the car while the statute of limitations time clock was running.... Seems like he would be on thin ice on that approach.

JMHO and I am no lawyer

25. ramingti20

ramingti20 Rookie

Aug 23, 2008
    It should be on adverse property if anything.....From the law perspective.....Swaters would win this case