Targa top front rubber gasket | FerrariChat

Targa top front rubber gasket

Discussion in '308/328' started by jmaienza, Jul 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    What part number is the targa top front rubber gasket for a 78 GTS?

I'm having trouble finding in in the parts diagrams.

2. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    These are no longer available from Ferrari but I have them, if interested PM me.

3. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    These are better then the OEM that was on my car!!!

4. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
  5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Work on a 328?

6. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Yep, same part number for both cars.

7. pbat

pbat Karting

Aug 5, 2011
    Qld Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter B

FYI the front rubber gasket above the windscreen for the GTS on the carby models, the metal that the rubber slotted on too came straight out level with the targa top, but in 1980 the metal curved up vertical for the rubber to fit under the targa top. They are different. In 1980 a kit was provided to add to the metal to have it going up to accommodate the new gasket for the pre 1980 models.

8. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
  9. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Is this "KIT" still available for the pre '80 models?

10. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    #10 andyww, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    Nope. But I would be surprised if any cars exist which never had this fitted. It was a factory warranty mod to eliminate water leaks. Has yours not been done?

11. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Nope, '79 gts. My rubber seal sticks up above the targa top.

12. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Does anyone have a picture of what this modification looks like? I like the looks of the new gasket and would like to use it. Can't find any pics from searches.

13. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #13 wrxmike, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ferrari service bulletin showing the modification

M
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
  15. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan

16. pbat

pbat Karting

Aug 5, 2011
    Qld Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter B

My 1979 308 GTS has not been modified to fit the new rubber, but seeing the kit it just looks like a 20mm angle fitted under the lip to bring the metal upwards.

17. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I now have the new Targa seal. I will need to make the angle structure referenced in the service bulletin. I can't tell from the bulletin how long the structure is. Does anyone have a picture of one installed or a factory installed structure? A picture where the lip turns down at the A piller would help. Or, should I just make the structure as long as the slot in the seal?

18. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #18 DANCER308, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. jrbaldwin

jrbaldwin Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Full Name:
    James Baldwin
    The targa top angle structure for SB09-1 is currently available from T. Rutlands for $88.56 Part #95403815.

Jim

20. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks

21. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the update.

Has any one fitted the rubber seal to a 78 or 79 car yet? Any fitment problems?
    Who is going to be the first to retrofit this angle iron piece?

22. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I have done the modification on the roof which the service bulletin covers. Reason being I bought a "new" roof from Ferrariparts which they had in stock for ages and wanted to get rid of, so managed to get it at a big discount.

I found it was the older type so had to do the mod. I didnt have to do the part of the mod on the car of course.

The roof mod is quite time consuming and requires bodywork/fiberglass skills. I used a 10mm round-ended tungsten carbide burr mounted in a drill to grind away the parts outlined in the SB. I could not avoid going through the roof frame structure so had to laminate in new fiberglass, finish with body filler and spray satin black. It took a weekend to do.

I was discussing this mod with Steve from Maranello (UK) who remembers when it first came out, it cost the factory a fortune but they had no choice because pre-mod, if the car was driven in heavy rain, when braking all the water gathered on the roof would shoot forwards and fill up the gap at the front and pour into the car.

23. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Very useful information. Sounds like a bit of a production to modify the top.

24. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #24 f355spider, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    Yup, I bought the entire kit from Ted back in 2001 or so (for my 78 308GTS), and he included the front seal, as well as the foam seals for the top. I already had a big roll of the rubber seal for the door openings. I gave it all to a really good body shop guy and he did the install. He agreed, it was pretty involved to do (he didn't see how this can be done without some body work and paint work, and laughed at the TSB that a Ferrari tech would go at the targa top with a Dremel tool and "rattle can" of flat black paint)..... he found some light rust under the original front gasket seal, as well as lots of marks from a previous (dealer?) trying to bend the metal back to make a tighter seal with the orginal gasket. He had to straighten all of that, and clean it up, prior to the modification. He then did the install, and painted everything...same with targa top seals, he removed the old, cleaned it up, refinished the black paint in the correct finish, and re-installed the new foam. After it was all done it sealed up real nice.

In retrospect, if the old seals could be found, I think I would have preferred to not have spent all the time and money to get this done. :)

25. jrbaldwin

jrbaldwin Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Full Name:
    James Baldwin
    My 1979 308 GTS does not have the sb90-1 Targa Top update, but it did have the new style gasket installed on the horizontal lip. The gasket was compressed, had a grove worn on the face and leaked when driving in the rain. I tried replacing it with the new manufactured gasket but the Targa Top fit was to tight and would not fit or latch properly. It looks like the worn old gasket gave it just enough clearance to fit.

Jim