#38671 on Ebay | FerrariChat

#38671 on Ebay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by blkprlz, Oct 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I like the Nardi.

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Its been for sale for a bit and I can't figure out why one of you hasn't snatched this one up.
    If you look close at this car you'll appreciate it and its priced well.
    This is a series 1 car.
    no load leveler suspension, wood center console, cable controls not the failure prone electrical switches, and on and on.
    Nice color; what are you waiting for?

3. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    So what is wrong with the car? That price seems too good to be true... (I've searched Fchat for the car and didn't find any previous posts about the car.)

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well Jerry they've already told you some things in the ad. 30k original miles? I don't think so, the speedo has been replaced, or stickered. Look close its in MPH, not KPH. Paint bubbles will make some guys run away.

Lola, I also like the Nardi which for me is unusual. I don't normally like them, but on this car it sure works well.

It just baffles me....a front engine V12 for 20 and it sits? I really don't get it, these cars should go for 50k to 70k.
    22k or best offer. Steal it for 19 or 20. Send it to Bill Pollard and give him 5g's for service. Pay a grand to get it shipped. Use it for a daily driver. A Toyota Camry would run you the same amount of cash.

5. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I'm thinking that the rust spots are worse in person than the ad alludes. I'm going to contact the seller and see if he/she can provide close up photos of the blistering.

6. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    #7 cockrill, Oct 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Jeesh!
    Thats a bit more than "bubbles"

8. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That thing is rusted THROUGH! OMG!!! I do like that is has the optional V8 instead of that PITA V12 they normally come with! LOL! What a pinhead!

9. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    After looking at the above pictures I thought poking fun at myself might be appropriate......

I think I just figured it out :rolleyes:

Jeesh, I don't know, maybe snow in hell?

10. flxzcat

flxzcat Karting

Sep 16, 2008
    lake forest, ca.
    Full Name:
    paul van der linden
    You gotta hand it to the original ad photographer. Positioned it just right. A perfect example of how deceptive photo's (and sellers) can be.

Paul

11. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    The fenders themselves don't bother me however I am quite certain what lies underneath is absolutely horrifying! Does anyone else have a similar opinion?

Regards,

Art S.

12. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Yes!! What is under is only worse, much worse.
    Parts car.

13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    ya'....very tempting, but that body would break me.

14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Because of Dave's rather illustrated turnaround, this thread goes down as one of the funniest ever. Wow, that rust is BAD. Wonder how that came about?

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    :D No kidding!

16. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    So the rust on the body is fairly good indication that the underbody and its components are probably just as, if not more, rusted...? How would the car suffer mechanically if the underbody were rusted...?

17. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    +1!!

Shear neglect??

18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Carbon,

If the fenders are showing this much rust, expect the stuff you can't see to be substantially worse. The only mechanical issue would be from the rust compromising the frame, which is possible. Pete at Forza sold a car in relatively similar condition for around $12k.

The car is fixable. Unfortunately,in the current market, the economics don't make sense.

Regards,

Art S.

19. flxzcat

flxzcat Karting

Sep 16, 2008
    lake forest, ca.
    Full Name:
    paul van der linden
    I'm thinking the rust might be from a poor quality accident repair. If that is the case then it might only need a nose job. Seems like a layer of bondo is visible in one of the photo's. If the bubbles are this big half way up the front of the car, wouldnt the rockers be rotted out?

Are these two pictures the only ones they sent?

Cheers,
    Paul

20. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Yeah, those are the only pics they sent me. (I did ask specifically for photos of the "blistering".)

The seller (a dealership?) did state that they have been servicing the car for the last 5 years, and that the car comes with books and records. (How many years worth of records, I don't know...)

--Jeremy

21. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #22 brettski, Oct 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    it was actually $11k...and fortunately i found it when our dollar was at par. however, it's rust issues are NOT even close to as bad as the car in question. i bought it as a goldmine of used parts for my '78 and the '81 that we've just started, but it is actually too good to part and, considering that our peso has gone for a **** up here, i've decided to sit on it until enough people realize that it is the only 4 cam, V-12 Ferrari for under $100K. when that happens i'll fix it. it's leather is supple, carpets are great, glass and chrome are mint. silencers are great and it has a long service history from Amerispec. there was so much value in this car at that price that it was a proverbial 'no brainer', as a shop owner 'up here'.
    mind you, i also bought Peter's '74 Euro Dino GT4 at the same time, so it was a package.

i actually think the current financial crisis might actually help 400 values. think about it...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. malcolmjl

malcolmjl Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    los angeles
    Digging up an old thread here, but I spotted this chassis today at the SEMA show. It now has a Daytona engine and what they say is an original NART Spyder body that was never put on a car...I’m sceptical to say the least.

23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Pictures?

24. malcolmjl

malcolmjl Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    los angeles
    I’m on mobile right now so uploading photos is too difficult. I’ll send a few when I’m back in the office.