3rd Annual Veterans Car Show - Pictures | FerrariChat

3rd Annual Veterans Car Show - Pictures

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by SpyderGirl, Feb 22, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SpyderGirl

SpyderGirl Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Hello to all, and almost Happy Spring!

I have started working up details for this years car show for the Veterans.
    This year is July 8th, 2006. Registration starts @ 10:30am, and the show starts around Noon as the Vets need to eat lunch first.

And like last year, we will have the Veteran's choice and Director's choice Awards followed by the Parade for Veterans at around 3pm so those guys and gals who are too sick can still get to see and hear all the cars.

The cost is 100% free as is all of the snacks and refreshments as our way of saying thank you to all the drivers for taking the time and visiting the Vets at the hospital..

This year, I am going to get more help as I was not able to have the popcorn machine in action, not to mention my family was getting fried with the afternoon heat and cooking all the hotdogs.

Jewel food store told me they will donate the dogs and fixins this year so that will be nice on my purse, and I am looking into getting other donations like the past few years.

I am also trying to get the Marine Air Control Group 48 Marines stationed in this area to possibly do a military K-9 demonstration for everyone or something else that would be neat to see. I also am talking with an Army Officer trying to see what I can get them to bring. And like last year I plan to get the Navy Chief Petty Officer Selects to come by and help take our Vets around to see the cars.

I am kinda known as the "Dog Lady" or the "Car Show Lady"! I think I like the second title a little better!! :) LOL I dont mind it too much, a lot of the folks here dont remember names too well, but sure enough, they remember my dogs names!! I am not sure if the 3 pups will come and visit like they did last year, it was just too hot for them and I was way too busy to put them to work greeting all the visitors and doing Pet Therapy with the Veterans, depends on how hot it is and if I can get the Military K9's to visit.

I will keep working right up to the day of the VA Show and make it as fun for everyone as I can, I hope most everyone has the date open and would like to come by for a visit, it was great to see so many last year from F-Chat and FOC. You guys and all the other drivers put lots of smiles on the faces of America's true Heroes and I cant thank you all enough.

I will post more info as it comes and as time draws near.

And maybe this year, there will be a little red GTO in the mix ?!?!

See everyone July 8th!! :)

My best,
    Haley

2. Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 16, 2006
    I'd like to come and bring my Bentley.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Unless the Lord of March sends my buddy an invite to Goodwood (I'm not kidding, there is a chance) I'm in with my other V8.

4. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    A Bentley and Daytona is a wonderful start to an All-Star list!
    Thank you gentlemen :)

Andreas, we could probably set up something with CRA and FOC...they have a lot of items like the big tent...chairs...maybe have a club mixer of sorts?...It sure would make for an afternoon full of interesting car chat. :) I can bring some extra lawn chairs and a cooler of ice for FOC to use. And I can talk to the maintenance staff here and see about propping up another tent where CRA was last year so there would be lots of shade.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Club sandwich would be nice. I'll talk to Meha.

6. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Haley, you know that you can count me in for sure! I'll be able to start promoting at the Car Shows and Cruise Nights earlier this Year, now that I have a copy of the Flyer....:)

7. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I'll be honored to attend for a second year. I marked my calendar.

8. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Thanks bunches guys!! I will bring plenty of extra VA show flyers to the carting event.

9. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    I can try to get some interesting Alfas out this year.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Your buddy with the Fiat Dino would be awesome.

11. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    That sounds fantastic! No Alfas for the first 2 years, that would make a great addition to this years show. :) Thank you much

12. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Every year seems better than the last and the two "sisters" make it a comfortable and uplifting experience for all those involved. Little bits and changes from the first year to the second have been great. I think Rick can challenge Frank in a grill contest and thank him for the nice lunch he cooked up for me last year. The parade through the grounds and the Ferrari horns odd wails was definitely a funny scene. Though I will be exotic car less, if need be I can "borrow" a few new cars the locals have not seen especially if its for our always honored and respected Vets' enjoyment. Haley and Chelle make it a comfortable and respected day. Scenes like Rick giving detailed talks to a hero in a wheel chair and smiling with kind pats on the back make it memories to keep. If I can go with something worth everyone's time, I would be delighted to do so. The people, the aims of the show... one of the highlights of my summer. The girls are angels and the Vets are heros, the cars are just neat to have around.

I think anyone who reads the chat site area and is aware of this show, should definitely make the effort to attend. You'll see some neat cars, but you can show respect to some great men and women who have sacrificied more than we can imagine.

RocketBoy

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    ...and in that regard my suggestion would be, that we should try to have one dedicated parking area for the Ferraris.

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yeah, Chuck. Those Alfa's are nice,too. That little Nikki Lauda Spider is really cool.....:)

15. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Agreed.

16. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #16 FerrariFrank1, Feb 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    David,how about the Hummer? I bet that it would go over well.

Grilling contest? GRILLING CONTEST!!!??? Whatchtalkinbout Grilling Contests!!!...:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #17 tifosi12, Feb 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL! Ohhh Yeahhhhh!.....:) Just bring along a 200 ft. long stick to put it on.....

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sissie!

20. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    ROTFLMAO!!! Hey....I've been T-Boned on a Motorcycle by a Giant Bus. Nearly cut a Corvette in half on a Telephone Pole, breaking my neck in 2 places....And was Rear Ended by a Van doing 60. Damn Right I am!!!!!!.....:) Surely don't wanna add 1000th degree burns to the list!!!.....:)

21. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Thanks Rocketboy for the nice words! Anything you bring I am sure would be a treat. :) When I started this, I had no idea it would be so much work, but the outcome is very much worth it.

I wish I could have seen that, what a great picture...THANK YOU Rick!! :)

22. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Were you talking about me?

23. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Well, another month closer, and lots of mail has been sent out to get more goodies for everyone this year.

I hope everyone who attended either of the last 2 shows got his invitation.
    If not, or if you would like a flyer with a map, please p/m me and I will get you one right away.

I have contacted various car clubs in the area, and so far, 2 seemed very excited about the VA show. One was a Model A club, I sent out the info to them and they said they would be delighted to bring in some of the "Old Iron".

Another club that really wants to participate is a "lowrider club". I know that those cars are not everyones cup-o-tea, but we have some younger Vets here that would get a kick out of those cars, and they would do a little hydrolic demo, I think that would be fun to watch for a little bit.

I am working on getting a military K-9 unit to do an attack and explosive detection demo, but that is proving to be a trick, as most units are scattereed about the globe with the pups working, and the Naval Base here is closing down the K9 unit, so I am working hard on that, as it is really neat to see a little bit of what the dogs can do!

I am also trying to coordinate something with the Marines in the area to see about doing a static display as well.

Of course, I am again trying to get a celeb or sports figure this year, but that is a difficult thing indeed, but I am-a-tryin!

And on the cute side, I updated Leadership on the car show, and they are very excited about it again. I told them that when they see the car they would like to ride along in for the Parade for Veteran's, to let me know and I will see if the owner is willing to have a co-pilot.
    The Director is going for the 1921 Stutz Fire Engine again this year.
    My boss, the Assoc. Dir. / Dir. of Patient/Nursing emailed me and said "I got to ride in a nice little Daytona last year....this year, rev up the Ferrari's again...can I ride in a big Testarossa?!" I told her I would see what I can do. I think she is getting the "BUG" :):)

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Maybe these two attractions could be combined in a dynamic display? :)

25. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Like taking a .50 cal to one? ;) Other than that, I cant see a desert camo paint job with "chameleon type" paint on a lowrider....but then again, I have seen stranger things. ~~~Bondo Fiero & Wienermobile~~~ :)