430 - 4-1 headers and the noise they make? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 4-1 headers and the noise they make?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Zed82, Sep 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. owali1

owali1 Rookie

Dec 10, 2017
    FL Panhandle
    Full Name:
    Omar
    AP headers sound great on my F430 even with just the factory muffler.

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    4:1 trades mid range for slightly more top end vs 4-2-1. If factory is 4-2-1, I would not make that trade in a 360. It already is not that strong at low to mid RPM.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Do you recognize this low range deep burble from the video i posted?

4. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    yeah I hear it...sounds like a American v8 wth

5. benelliwang

benelliwang Rookie

Feb 15, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Unlike the S-Line, my exhaust has a muffler with exhaust bypass valve and a remote controller to set it to full close/full open/or by RPM. So that low range burble can be controlled. Having said that, I leave it full open 100% of the time. It sounded like my Heads/Cam/Nitrous LS motor and I like it.

6. benelliwang

benelliwang Rookie

Feb 15, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Agree with the point, figured that is a known fact. Since stock exhaust with 4 cats, muffler, and no x-pipe doesn't drone...

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #32 ShineKen, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Since this thread was linked, I’ll chime in.

430 Scuderia: Put on Capristo 4-2-1 headers with stock cats and stock muffler and drove for 6k miles. The Capristo headers are 100% better than stock headers in every way. No noticeable loss of power anywhere. You do feel a slight power increase mid range. Power delivery is smooth and linear. Volume is increased. Noticeably throatier. More balls. Drives like a stock car, but better. There are no cons to the Capristo vs OE. This was satisfactory... until it wasn’t.

Drove a buddy’s F430 with AP headers, cats (it was either stock or 200 cell... can’t recall), and Kriessieg valved X-pipe muffler ... but driven with the valve open the whole time. It was EPIC. CLEAN F1 sound all the way through with cracks, pops, and gurgles on gas let off. An EVENT. The ONLY way a Ferrari should be imo. The Kreissieg muffler is SICK and if you guys read enough of my posts, I have a high standard for sound. This was when I realized my Scud setup (Capristo header only) wasn’t enough. People get tend to get wet over the stock Scud’s sound. Sounds “italian.” OVERRATED.

I did feel the F430 wasn’t loud enough... even on WOT. About a 25% volume increase would’ve made it PERFECT in my book. Perhaps 100 cell cats or straight pipes added. I think the consensus is the X-pipe configuration sacrifices some volume for pitch.

My takeaway from driving the F430 was that it lacked low and midrange power. X-pipes are supposed to increase low/mid range response. If it did it wasn’t enough for me. Could it be due to the 4-1 headers? Maybe. Or just a difference between F430 and Scud? My guess, without the x-pipe muffler, itd be even more noticeably slower. Even with just the Capristo headers, the Scud packs noticeably more punch from the get go. You don’t feel the need to kick it up the rev range to move. I eventually added 100 cell cats and Kline x pipe muffler. This noticeably added even more response and power across the rev range. Power delivery was highly satisfactory from start to finish.

My advice. If you are going with a 4-1 header that could possibly be sacrificing some low/mid range power... then at least top it off with an X-pipe to gain it back... maybe even add a bit.

8. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The Scud is a different animal. The F430 has nowhere near the instantaneous punch so it isn't really a fair comparison.

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Can we see some dyno sheets on same car to back up the hp claims between header types? Does this exist.

very curious

these are not long tube headers .. they are mid length.. not sure they make a dramatic difference.