430 - 4-1 headers and the power dip on the dyno once and for all... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 4-1 headers and the power dip on the dyno once and for all...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Zed82, Jun 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    Capristo are 4-2-1, not 4-1.

2. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Yes they are quite different engines for sure. Yet interestingly both use tri-y 4-2-1 headers.

3. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Same issue with the V12s, early 65 degree V models of which have two sets of 3-2-1 exhaust manifolds on each side. For the 599 GTO Ferrari went to 6-1 for an instant power gain because of the very smooth exhaust pulse extraction, plus they eliminated the precats. Have to look at later Ferrari V8s and see what they did. 4-1 will definitely get you a power boost because that is one advantage of 180 degree V8s, excellent scavenging from what is essentially two inline fours on the same crank. 90 degree crank engines are 4 twins on the same crank, and the exhaust is more complicated for good scavenging.

5. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Fake news. Capristo only makes 4-2-1 headers.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Already noted.

7. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    BUT they are VERY GOOD !

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Richard- Affirmative, the merge to a single pipe is pretty close to the exhaust ports, so still good scavenging.

9. MarioDiPalma

MarioDiPalma Rookie

Mar 5, 2019
    Vancouver,B.C.
    Full Name:
    Mario1972
    #34 MarioDiPalma, Jun 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    Hello guys.
    This is my first message on Fchat. I've been reading, watching and doing endless homework on this. But that's just my character to do so. I enjoy the "homework" lol before purchasing a car. A car that's strictly for spirited drives lasting about an hour or so on mostly highway/freeway roads.
    I been a car enthusiast my whole life, I'm 47 now. Cars ranging from 911 twin turbos (4 of them), Gallardo, currently 2016 Gtr Fbo E85 and so many in between.

Finally, I'm on the hunt for a Scuderia or a 458, but leaning towards the Scud for all the reasons enthusiasts share.

To focus on after market full exhausts if I could. Starting with the 430 header issue and which brand to go with. 4-1 or Capristos 4-2-1. I've seen posted dyno sheets on the 4-1's with the "power dip" in the mid range, but, also have seen Fabspeeds dyno graph looking correct, with bump in gains down low and up high. I'm confident that all full exhaust set ups benefit from a good ECU tune and should be done. I've done full exhaust set ups and eco tunes on all my cars and never has it turned out poorly. You may be familiar with Al Winners red Scud? I've noticed his car, through his posts, has Capristo headers, 100 cell cats and S line X pipe. (parked and revving only)

Also, I've noticed a vid where he claims to have 4-1 headers, 100 cell cats and S line. (rear mounted camera on a highway pull) I think his vids sound just right on attaining the "F1sound" so many are after, including myself. I guess the question is, what is truly the correct set up? we all know headers are a must change based on reliability issues from factory. S line seems to have the sound down. Regarding cats (200 or 100 cell) or test pipes might be my sticking point, along with maybe the header decision. (based on being unsure which header configuration Al actually has)
    For myself, I'm leaning towards a 4-1 style and of course with heat blankets, including wrapping the cats (I think). The cooler the engine bay the better in more ways than one.

Thanks guys for any additional input and thoughts.
    Mario, from Vancouver, BC.

10. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    On the issue of power delivery, I've been much happier with my Tubi 4-2-1 headers than the Fabspeed 4-1. Actually overall drive-ability, sound, and vibrations have improved for the better with the Tubi.

11. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Scud does not have the same instance of header issues. No precats and a different rear mounting system. They can be prone to the flanges warping though. If I was replacing my exhaust on my F430 and money was no object I would go with capristo headers and 200 cell cats. Anything more would be too loud for me.

12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    More fake news. Capristo headers are no less loud than a comparable 4-1 header layout. I've measured the decibels before on my car.

Setups that were compared:
    Capristo headers, Capristo race cats & s-line xpipe
    Powercraft headers, Powercraft race cats & s-line xpipe

Delta in decibels ± 0.28 db w Capristo being slightly louder

Measurements taken at idle

13. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    not saying Capristo F430 headers are more loud that any other after market headers without cats, but they DEFINTIVELY deliver in terms of PERFORMANCE

14. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Amen to that on the cats, 200 cell seems to be the sweet spot on F430's. I took a hard look at the Capristo headers but ultimately sourced the Tubi's as they had built in heat sheilds.

15. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I am aware of that, you misunderstood me. I am aware that any decat header is louder. Mine certainly are. I simply meant that aftermarket headers and sports cats would be as loud as I would go.