4.7 or 5.5 inch? (iPhone 6) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

4.7 or 5.5 inch? (iPhone 6)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by KennyH, Sep 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    At the moment, 4.7'' for me.

If a 5.5" fits comfortably in my pocket while I'm sitting down, then maybe, but I don't see it being a comfortable fit.

It's a shame Image Stabilization is only available on the 5.5" :(

2. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I got my 6 around noon today. It fits pretty good inside my hand, reaching doesn't seem to be a problem. The fingerprint scanner is pretty cool. The screen is a bit more bright and vibrant than my 5. Audio sounds pretty similar to my iPad Mini, a good thing. Overall, I REALLY like it.

Just waiting on my case and screen protectors from eBay, since Apple's cases are sold out until October apparently.

3. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Ordered my 6 about a week ago in an AT&T store, and received it this morning. Got more memory so my music can be in my phone and accessible all the time, vs the cloud.

A whole lot quicker than my 4s, and thin also.

The whole process of changing over all the stuff was easy, and fairly quick.

Very happy with the phone so far.

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Cool! Gotta be honest, I've quit with cases - A screen protector (installed in the mall) and I'm done - to me, the case just makes the damn thing bigger & unless it's huge doesn't really buy you any protection if you drop it..... My 02c....

As long as you stay within the 'Apple world', it's all good..... ;)

I'm gonna have to try the finger print thing again - barely worked for me when I first tried it, but I also had some pretty messed up hands. (Manual labor! :eek: ;) )

For now anyway, the 5s is good for me - I'm sure they'll be hassling me as soon as I'm 'eligible'.....

Cheers,
    Ian

5. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Also received my [Verizon] iPhone 6 today. A bigger, better version of my 5 -- it's great. Recommended.

There seems to be some bugs in the new iOS, though. If you haven't already upgraded, I'd wait for the next revision.

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    So it can fit unobtrusively in my pocket.

The Nano sized one would be perfect for me. The screen shows 6 icons, which is all I need. I don't need to see all 24 icons of my iPhone 5 at the same time. I need phone, text, safari, text, notes, calendar, maps, and some productivity wasters like YouTube and a few games. The essentials could fit on two or three screens of 6.

And if I ever want a bigger screen, I have an iPod air that's never too far away.

I understand wanting a bigger screen. But I want a smaller everyday-thing-in-my-pcoket, or thing to hold up to my ear.

Matt

7. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    Ordered my iPhone 6+ at 3:30 AM Est on the preorder, got it this morning. It's very big, maybe too big, but oh well... probably would have done the 6 in hindsight...

The camera is awesome and blows away current offerings. Not quite DSLR quality, but FREAKING close.

8. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I actually think the 4.7 will be perfect. 5.5 is just too big and potential to drop the phone is there.

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I don't want a phablet.

Matt

10. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    Ok.

I only ask because I'm curious to the thought process behind it.

I ask people all the time, "Why do you want a bigger phone/display," and no one can answer the question with any real substance other than, "It's bigger" or "I can see better."

11. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think the main reason behind the push for larger screen size is for the entertainment aspect phones now provide rather than simply telephone calls and productivity apps. Playing games, watching TV/movies, photos, etc, in addition to storage space for music. That's why these phones have made the iPod and other portable MP3 devices almost useless and I'd argue even pushing aside a tablet for some...easier to carry a phone than a phone, tablet/pc, and MP3 player like I did 10+ years ago in college, lol.

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I understand.

I held both in my hands yesterday. The 6+ is far too large for my taste. The 4.7" 6 is surprisingly well done. It doesn't feel as big as it is.

I know that I'm in the smallest minority, but I still want a phone the size of the Nano.

Matt

14. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    Definitely the smaller one. I want something wider mainly so I can hold onto it easier!
    Also disappointed they are limited NFC to their e-payment...but it is Apple.

Watches don't interest me until they can replace a device. Not interesting in a sibling/peripheral device. The design is also not a good one (original iPhone from the looks of it). Curved OLED should have been used as an example

15. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Any good Ferrari cases out for iPhone 6? The ones I found online look like wraps vs cases.

16. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Unsolicited update on my end now that I've had it for a month. Glad that I got the 6. Most of my friends that decided to go with the + ended up returning it as it was simply too big. If you're on the fence, I'd recommend the 6.

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    My co-worker recently got the 6+. Way too big imo. I guess the main difference is that it's a true 1080 display unlike the 6. Either way, it makes my Nexus 5 (5" screen) look tiny, but mine also has 1080 display and a higher pixel density. :)

I'm glad Apple finally allows third party keyboards so swipe keyboards can now be used. Took way too many years for Apple to make that move, but better late than never I suppose.

18. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    A friend of mine got the 6+ two weeks ago. I fiddled and played with it over 2 hours, and there's vast improvement on the battery life and on the screen display. It's wayyy too big for me, IMO.

Also, i've made a decision, just in case anything happens to my iPhone 4, I'll be getting the OnePlusOne model, and not an Apple phone anymore. Just too pricey.

19. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    I'm loving my 6 Plus. The longer I own it, the smaller and more natural it feels. The biggest annoyance for me is all the 6 owners that explain away their phone by saying the Plus is too big. Its not. There was a little adjustment coming from the 5, but as the days go by, the phone shrinks...a lot.

I wear slim pants all week and slim jeans on the weekends. I comfortably and easily carry it in my front pocket.

20. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thats what I tried to explain to all my apple using friends for years.

21. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I am coming from a Samsung 4s for work my personal phone and a 5 s for work.

the 5s it too small for me. I think the 6+ would be a great fit.

22. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#72 REMIX, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I picked up an unlocked (i.e., Verizon phone) 6+ last week.I never thought I'd ever spend $1,000 on a phone but I did. Runs a T-Mobile GSM sim just fine, too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Had my 6+ for about a month so far and love it. I primarily wear cargo pants so room to carry the phone is never an issue. At first the screen seemed huge putting it against my face but I primarily use my phone for texting and for the internet. Just 10-15 years or so ago everyone was using flip phones much larger and bulkier and putting those up to their heads without second thought. We've gotten so used to holding phones the size of postage stamps that something more practical and useable seems weird. It's pretty funny to me actually. I switched from an iPhone 4 and the other day picked up my wife's 4s and couldn't believe how small and cramped the screen felt. I can't believe I used to use a phone that size for so many years.

24. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thread resurrection: any long-term user reviews of the 6+ or 7+? I'm debating a 7+, but can't quite make up my mind. Currently using non plus 6S.

-Joe

25. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    This thread is hilarious to me.

After rallying against the oversizeness of the regular 6, I just ordered a 7 Plus!

For the camera.

:)

Matt