4 stolen Ferrari chassis | Page 5 | FerrariChat

4 stolen Ferrari chassis

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by krasnavian, Sep 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    A few months ago I heard that Tom Meade, the famous American car designer of one offs, complained to the West LA detectives that three Ferrari chassis were missing from where he'd left them--under a building in Westwood (maybe he meant the basement). When I talked to the detective (I like to check out these things for a book I am writing) the detective told me it was a civil dispute--between Meade and the building owner so they wouldn't be investigating. I guess it's possible if the chassis had no wheels, steering rack, etc. they might have been mistaken for scrap metal. The general public doesn't know what tube frame Ferrari frames look like. Anyhow the serial numbers were on the web for awhile, so I am curious if this trip down the bunny trail led anywhere

2. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    I was with Tom at the L.A.P.D. station in West Los Angeles when he reported the theft. The conclusion that it is a civil dispute is, I think, an overreaching attempt to limit their workload since there was no contract with regard to the chassis and nothing to indicate that the owner of the building (who I know from the film world coincidently) had anything to do with their removal.

To date, there is no news of their whereabouts and Tom has offered a reward.

3. photogcars

photogcars Rookie

Sep 27, 2011
    Hello, I am an old friend of Tom from Milano,Italy. I haven't heard from Tom in many years. Last time I saw Tom was here in Florida, when he and his Mom were at my ex wife's family home in Miami Beach. I am saddened to hear about Tom's severe broken leg firstly, and then about the theft of some of the most beautiful Classic Ferrari's of the World! I do hope they find the thieves, and find the vehicle's unscathed and in the pristine condition that I'm sure Tom had them in! Please let him know Thomas Abbott contacted him, and that he can call me at 954-683-8539. Do tell him to give him my regards to his Mom as well!God bless.
    Thomas Abbott

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  5. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It doesn't say, which is surprising.

M

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Tristram's posts here are like that, too.....:D :D :D

That's a press release, from a year and a half ago...

It kind of puts Tristram's Tom Meade thread recently into a kind of a self serving "spaM' kind of smell actually.....maybe he's trolling for hit from some Newb to post about "having these frames?"..

Probably crushed for scrap.

A real shame (for us) that we have lost participation from Krasnavian here.
    He seems to have been in the thick of this situation.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #108 BigTex, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    Welcome! Thanks for your post..

I'd offer two suggestions:

The lawyer handling Tom's case (apparently) has contact info in the link above.
    Leave a message with his office. Tristram Buckley 310 980-1842

Krasnavian does not post here any longer (due to a sad persaonl conflict with Darth550 and NNO) but he blogs and I have his email somewhere. His name is Stephen Mitchell.
    Lives out in California, L.A. I think

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Tristram sure loves to talk about that Nembo spyder.....:D :D :D

9. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    A short while back I came across the Nembo spider. My favorite car to own and use has always been the 250 SWB. My dream car if you will. When i first saw the Nembo I thought it was truly one of the most beautiful sports cars of all time. The rear three quarters view was just as beautiful and striking as a P4 or 206 SP.

I only learned Meade was the Nembo's designer a few months back. Frankly, I'm rather surprised the car isn't exhibited more given its rarity and beauty.

As for the disappearing chassis, the story of their disappearance and the cast of characters involved has gotten far more interesting.