400 Chevrolet Dealers Opt Out of Selling Volt Due to Higher Cost of Service Tools | FerrariChat

400 Chevrolet Dealers Opt Out of Selling Volt Due to Higher Cost of Service Tools

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 4re Nut, Jan 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Interesting: http://blog.caranddriver.com/over-400-chevrolet-dealers-opt-out-of-selling-volt-due-to-higher-service-tool-costs/

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    shocking.

INRange likes this.
  3. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I find it revolting.

INRange and energy88 like this.
  4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Maybe they could spin it that they expect the Volt to be so reliable the tools will be obsolete before they are ever used on an actual service item? :)

I'm surprised GM allows them to do this without penalty. A dealership that refuses to equip the shop and service the Volt might get responses like this...

"Your allotment of Camaro ZL1 models has been reduced by 4"

"The 2014 Corvette will be rolled out in stages across the country, your dealership will be the last stage."

"After reviewing the appearance of the dealership building, it has been determined to retain your franchise that the following improvements must be made..."

tritone likes this.
  5. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #5 4re Nut, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not Volt related but something along those lines did happen, http://www.automoblog.net/2012/12/30/oklahoma-dealer-marc-heitz-sells-dealer-instead-of-changing-it/.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    You wonder how GM feels no guilt in building cars that not only suck.....but dealerships are refusing to sell? I hope they cancel that ELR concept from even debuting.

7. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    #7 alum04org, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    Fiat, now?

8. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    :confused:

Please elaborate.

9. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The Volt doesn't suck and sales have been steadily increasing. It has outpointed every competitor in every comparision its been in. I personally know of four owners all of which are very happy with their Volts. I've driven one and was impressed. Went with a friend(F-car owner, BTW) and was impressed with the dealer service, knowledge and overall experience when he purchased the car. He uses no gas on his daily commute, his recharge expenses average(on the computerized charging station data panel) about 45 cents, the car came with free OnStar,XM, roadside service, extended warranty,etc.

Dom likes this.
  10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    ryalex likes this.
  11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  12. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Holy Smokes!! How many owners think about future battery replacement and its cost?

13. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    From your article: “Now before you go ballyhooing the Volt as some kind of failure, a Chevy spokesperson told us that the dealerships that dropped the Volt accounted for less than one percent of the car’s annual sales.”

How many owners tend to keep cars long enough to need to replace the battery? I.e., longer than 10 years.

14. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Ouch. We have a 2013 Volt that’s been great. NO issues, no rattles, no squeaks. Its been perfect and it’s a really cool car to run around in. It still has the original 12v battery I keep thinking I’ll replace - or just trade it for something newer because of the big battery. We were just talking about what a battery might cost. Its down to about a 38 mile range from mid to high 40s when new IIRC.

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I was talking to the service manager at Porsche, and I think they see the writing on the wall: The current service business works well for the classic cars, so there’s investment there and even in restoration services. Taycans and upcoming EVs just aren’t going to generate the revenues the dealers have counted on for decades. Chevy dealers need to reckon with the future.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app