400i dies when off the gas | FerrariChat

400i dies when off the gas

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jacques, Oct 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    My 1980 400i has been running sooo wonderfully until yesterday when it started to rev way too high..4k before shifting up..also it revvs up just fine in "N" or "P"but . It starts just fine but it immediatley dies when I take my foot off the gas pedal..no idle whatsoever. Just put in 12 gallons of Sonoco along with the small bottle of Techron and drove about 5 or 6 miles at about 45-50 mph. Stopped at the store..when I came out my troubles began. I was on my way to the
    Skiway bridge over Tampa Bay to give her a good pull to blow her out, but did not make..limped home with 220-230f and now there is some drip of coolant just under the water pump. This car normally has no leaks of any kind. Any help on this will be most gratefully welcommed and appreciated. Thank you all so much in advance....Jacques.

2. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    4k is not way too high, max hp isn't reached till 6400. Interesting how problems began soon after the Techron addition---it's like some larger chunk of dirt was dislodged from Techron & got caught up somewhere that blocks fuel enough @ low rpm to quit on ya. I have found that rather than dumping fuel into the holes it seems to clear up better by light-footing it up to high rpm & running it out in a lean manner. Easy with the hot-lap locations. I do believe that drips from the weep hole of the waterpump signals the need for a seal kit install, it's best to try that 'right away' as the rebuild process requires engine out.