400i Series 2/412 Outside Vitaloni Mirrors | FerrariChat

400i Series 2/412 Outside Vitaloni Mirrors

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by blkprlz, Feb 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Had an unfortunate occurrence with one of the Vitaloni mirrors while pulling the fitted car cover over them. It snapped! There it sat, dangling... All I could picture was the prospect of having to pull the interior door curtain to correct the problem, whatever it was.
    On the unfortunate side of things, the mount assembly is made of white metal. It does have some weight to it so I'm thinking that it's zinc. It consists of 3 parts, & it's the center part that is the weak spot. It contains a heavy spring & has detents on the mirror end to allow the mirror to rotate & hold its position. All of this can be accessed/viewed by pulling the accordian rubber off their mounting bases. Unfortunately, I didn't take pics of it but it's pretty straight forward on how to correct the problem.
    Getting a machine shop to fabricate a new part proved to be rather expensive. An easy & inexpensive fix was to get a longer bolt (M5 - 0.8mm x 30mm) to bolt the spring down through the threaded collar "&" through the substantial base. The original set-up was the use of a shorter bolt to bolt the spring through the collar only. I used the old bolt to tap out the base. The 30mm length of the bolt passes through the other end of the base & allows for a lock nut.
    A $5. fix that took all of about 30 min. to restore. Thought I'd share :D

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Pics, or it didn't happen! :p