400i to Mondial: Rise of the Wife (Slightly long) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400i to Mondial: Rise of the Wife (Slightly long)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by GuardsRed, Nov 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Anybody have a list of cross-referenced parts for the 400i I could check out?

2. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    If you ever get back out Wazzu way, you can stop over and check out my T. I am on the west side of the state... Given that you are looking for a driver, you should make sure the car you get has comfortable seats. I had to modify my T seats but could not find comfort in the 3.2 models. As for the rest of my comments on each, search on my name here and 89TCab or 92TCab on the old board.

- JMG

3. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    Gaurds,

Good luck with your search. I started looking for my first Ferrari in july.
    My husband is a Porshaholic and after numerious drives of Mondiels, and 328/308s he still wanted me to look at another Boxster or 911c..same old thing. Needed another tack..

Like your wife's agreement , its nice to have suport (or at lease aquiencen) to getting another toy.

I drove over to Ferrari of Washington and we took out a older 348spider (they may still have it) The intererior is very cool..Azimuth yacht like and much more sublime than the Mondiel. Plus by 94 most of the bugs are out. Its a bit more green but a hardtop or t is only 10-15 more than a 328 that you would want.

I did the cost numbers and came up with yearly cost for service and upgrades (about $2000-3000) Cost to buy the car about $4-7K and then the loan.
    All told loan, plus $10-14k shortterm (cars I looked at needed major service)

The costs are only about the $2-4k less for a for 308, 328. (the service is a bit cheaper but they are older cars so the trade off.
    The biggest hit is the loan money.

4. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam

I am going to be there in June...for about two years. Look forward to meeting you.

5. Seve

Seve Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    I was in your boat earlier this year. I had driven a T Cab and was set on finding that model, but an '88 3.2 with 12k miles in pristine condition turned up that was only an hour away. I was somewhat reluctant to buy it due to the lower horsepower and lack of power assisted steering, but made a good buy on it after a PPI came back great. I factored in a 30k service and everything went off without a hitch. Six months and some more education on the potential extra expense of maintaining a T and I am now very pleased that I bought the 3.2 instead of the T. Wife and 2 kids fit just fine, steering is not a problem (even for daily driving), the law just won't let you howl much faster anyway, and saved about $15k over a T. Also, I like the larger air intake grates on the 3.2 better than the T. For what its worth.

6. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Sam:
    First, ignore the stupid remarks. Most of us here are OK.
    Second, no question get a Mondial, and the best you can afford. What I mean by "best" is the one in the best condition you can find; fully sorted out. I bought a Mondial 8 because one came along at a bargain basement price (well of course it needed some work, so the cost went up!) It is a fine car, but of course, I want more..another Mondial! I'll probably go for a 3.2 for price and upkeep costs.
    If the budget allows, get a T. Nicer interior and great motor. Mondials, IMHO, are the best value in Ferraris. Again, get the best condition one you can, Whether a T or an 8, they are ALL expensive to keep up. Good luck!
    Sam (too)

7. Slomo

Slomo Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    David Chambers
    Hey there,

I posted this article earlier on another thread, but I think it sells the Mondial nicely.

I am also a NW'er (Bellevue) and I am also looking for a nice Mondial. I would like to drive mine a lot, and with the weather around here I think a coupe looks like the smart way to go, although open air in the NW on a sunny day is damn nice! I have had two convertibles previously, and I had the top down even in the winter with the heat on high, but now that I am older with a wife and 2 little kids, I don't know if I can keep that up.

Anyhow, here is a cool article from Forbes -

Vehicle of the Week
    The Cheapest Ferrari

With rumors persisting that Ferrari is thinking of building a four-door (say it ain't so!) sedan, it's worth looking back at what is today the most affordable Ferrari ever--the Mondial. It depends on who you talk to, but a lot of Ferraristas (self-described Ferrari nuts, collectors, racers) mostly consider the mid-1980s-to-early-1990s Ferrari Mondial a big mistake. Today that debate rages on, but there's one thing nobody disagrees on: If you want a $15K to $30K exotic car with a 150mph top speed and four seats (the back ones are big enough for little kids), this is the only choice.

Taking a closer look at the Mondial: The car has crisp--if not wholly inspired--lines by designer Pininfarina, based on the late-1970s 308 platform. But the Mondial has a longer wheelbase than the two-seat 308, with a midengine design and a trunk aft of the motor. Early Mondials (the 1980 Mondial 8) had limited horsepower but, by 1985, the car came with a 3.2-liter V-8 with four valves per cylinder that were good for 260 hp (versus 235 hp for the Mondial 8). By 1989, the Mondial t had 300 horses.

The Mondial Cabrio is a very pretty package.

What enthusiasts rave about in the Mondial is its classic midengine handling (the moment of inertia in cars like this is predictable right up to the limit--with excellent grip even in the wet), its beautiful Ferrari engine note that's like no other car, its excellent transmission and sporting pedal box (the arrangement of gas, brake and clutch in a racing fashion).

Put bluntly, what other car on the planet gives you access to this kind of history and power at this price? Not one. Want to know what new convertible sells for about $20K? You can't even get into a milquetoast Chrysler Sebring for under $28K. Let's see, a Chrysler or a Ferrari? -- Michael Frank

Forbes Fact
    The dark side of the Mondial isn't about the engine or the drivetrain, but the electrical system. Keith Martin, publisher of Sports Car Market magazine says that the first step to buying a Mondial is to be very choosy. "First, you want a four-valve model [1985 or later]. Then you want one that's been driven about three to four thousand miles a year." That means the owner has fixed what's broken rather than giving up and letting the car rot.

Martin also advises calling the service manager at the local Ferrari dealer, telling him what you're looking for and asking what to have inspected before you buy. In the best case scenario (the one you're shooting for), you should have to spend no more than $2K to $3K after you get the car to bring it into good running condition and then only fix what breaks. That still means a few thousand dollars a year (maintenance on Ferraris is more expensive than on any other make of car) but the thrill of owning a Ferrari should outweigh the burden on your wallet. -- M.F.

Here is the link if you would like to see the photos; http://www.forbes.com/2001/07/02/0702vow.html

Dave

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Since the Mondial steering has come up a couple of times, I'll add my experience here as well. The turning circle, while like that of a aircraft carrier (as most Ferraris: 41 feet), is the made up for by the extreme accuracy of the steering - it is perfect at speed... Again, the biggest difference is TIRES on the effort and response. I have gone through 4 different kinds of tires and have 225/50-17s on it now that are easier to turn and more responsive than previous 215/50 - 17s (Bridgestone RE-71), 215/55-16 (P-6000) and stock 205/55-16s (Gator Craps). Depends entirely on the tire (and what you are looking to optimize). I cannot emphasize this tire thing enough.

I will admit that there are times where the t's power steering would be nice, but these new Michelins Pilot A/S help alleviate the slow speed steering effort.

Yet another tweak:
    Steering wheel makes a difference as well. A 328 style 370mm Momo MonteCarlo ($120) is a popular aftermarket OEM choice with a thicker rim and bolts right up to the stock hub. Looks great and feels great like in the 328. I have an rare old Momo Cavallino which was used on some later 246 Dinos which I love and is an old Ferrari item.

Agree with the good folks before to buy the best you can - and get a professional pre-purchase inspection.

best regards and good luck!
    rt
    88 3.2 coupe

9. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Great post, Slomo. I would add that I think the Mondial is beautiful, but to each his or her own. Also, I may be wrong, but I think the 4 valves started in 83.

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but what's left of my grey matter tells me many of the electrical gremlins can be sorted by simply replacing the battery with an Optima battery and re-doing the fuse box.

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Mondial electrics:
    As wax said, a good battery cures many ills. In the 3.2 production run, a move was made to upgrade the fusebox to the glass spade type fuses from the ceramic POS. This is a popular upgrade as is soldering dodgy connections in the fusebox. That leaves the loom connectors, especially the one at the fusebox, as the worst engineered parts in an otherwise brilliant car. Always check this part first when tracking gremlins. Also ensure the connections to the headlight motors/relays are weatherproofed well. Routine replacement of 15+ year old relays has also been suggested. Most electrical problems can be traced to the fusebox or this white plastic connector. Many people suggest coating the connecting surfaces with Stabilant-22 available at NAPA.
    Occaisional annoyances are the switches in the center console, although easily replaced. The more you use them the less they break. Some folks recommend squirting electrical contact cleaner in the switch (battery off) and working the switch to renew the contacts.
    One thing to know - you can jump start a 3.2 or earlier car as you would any other car, but with the t there are issues with the Motronic injection. Ask the t and 348 guys for the skinny.
    Other Mondial owners may want to chime in here.
    best
    rt

12. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Great info guys! I told my wife about the Mondial and she nodded and said it "sounded great". I mentioned that the time frame to find a really nice example will take a while, perhaps a year or more. She responded with that's good, you just got a 911. Ahhh, never enough toys.

Look forward to meeting some of you here in the NoVA area and those in the PNW!

Keep the info coming! I am learning a lot.

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Is this car going to be yours or hers ? Who pays the bills ?

Get her a 4 door then get yourself whatever you want.

14. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    We pay the bills and it will be our car...thanks for the super advice.

15. SFerrari

SFerrari Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    MG
    The T model I own for 4 years didn't bring any reliabilty problem. It's a great looking and sounding car, with all the Ferrari dream related...
    I would say it's a good car for somebody with a small family, the children can easily deal with the 2 back seats.
    It's just not an impressive car to drive for my opinion, but a very great first Ferrari to own. It's a bit heavy car, linear acceleration, with a lot of move from the chassis in the corners. Take care while using it sportly, this long car is not easy to manage and not done initialy for this.
    But it is still the same pleasure to turn on the engine, even with stock exhaust, and to leave away with V8 music in your hears...

Go for Mondial T if 4 seats needed and small budget investment, excellent ratio price/pleasure at this stage...

16. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I had a '84 Mondial Cab for (8)years. It was a fine car. Performance difference between the QV and the 3.2, I found not to be noticeable. Performance was respectable, but it's not an F-40 or Testarossa.
    Never had any electrical problems.
    Styling is a take-it or leave it. Due to the lower production numbers with the Mondial cab, it gets a lot of attention from most people than say a 308/328. The QV's have the black bumper issue. Again, some like it, others don't. Personally, I like the QV's in the triple black.
    Yes, the steering was heavy in some parking situations with no power steering and 50 series tires. But, having owned a number of old Corvettes and muscle cars, it's not that bad. But, it's something if your wife will be driving it, she needs to try it.
    Putting the top up/down is not as simple as a flick of a switch. But with experience, it's not bad.
    Back seat is limited in space. But, how cramped will depend on size of occupants and seating position. Of course the other big question is how often will you have people in the back seat, and are they adults or children.
    Bottom line is a nice riding, driving car, especially with the top down. Now throw in the current prices.......