400iGT Water Pump Issue | FerrariChat

400iGT Water Pump Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Schumi, Mar 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I just had the water pump bits all replaced clear back to the oil seal. I now have "the drip" again. Is it common that a seal is bad from the factory, or could it have been installed incorrectly?

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Could be a bad seal, there are some reproduction seals out there that are very poor quality. Could be the incorrect seal. Could be incorrect assembly. No way to know unless you take it apart again. On some seals, there is a break-in period, where the two portions of the seal have to be run in against each other. How bad is the drip and how far have you driven the car since the seal was replaced.

3. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I purchased the water pump "kit" from T.Rutlands (and they have offered to send a replacement seal free of charge) so it should be a quality piece.
    The drip isn't terrible - not as bad as it was before replacement. I watched the mechanic who did the work and I'm confident it was assembled correctly.
    I haven't driven more than 30 miles since the work was done. Let's hope it just needs a break-in period. Going off to drive her now....

Motob: Thank you very much for the reply.

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Water pump rebuilds are somewhat of a "black art". If everything isn't done perfectly, you will get a leak. Try again, maybe this time will be the one.

f355spider likes this.
  5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Motob's points are perfect. That type of seal does in some cases take a little running in. Give it a little time before diving back in.

2NA likes this.
  6. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    What better advice can you get than "drive and see if it gets better."? Thanks to you all for the help.

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The water pump seal used in a 400i is a two piece seal that has Ferrari part#100433. There has never been a supercession for that part number from a two-piece seal to a one piece seal ( as in common in other models like the TR, see https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/tr-water-pump-seal.563354/
    I would check the part number on the parts receipt for the seal that was send to you to see if it is a two part seal with the correct part number.

Many shops swap the two-part seal with a one part seal, but they have done the research and testing to make sure that the one part seal has the correct dimensions and/or the necessary machine work/modifications have been made to the waterpump impeller and/or seal spacer tube so that it doesn't leak.

Do you have photos of the old seal, new seal and part number of the new seal? If the pump still leaks after a couple of hundred miles of driving, it will take some research/disassembly to determine the cause of the leakage. Be glad that you don't own a TR , which requires removal of the engine in order to service the waterpump.

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    So if it drips a little bit is it ok or could serious damage be done?

9. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I do have photos of the old seal(s) and related items. I didn't take a photo of the new ones, but they came from T. Rutlands. They have been kind enough to send another so I'll have a part number when it arrives.

Attached Files:

10. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    All of the original water pump seal parts look pretty bad and needed replacement. Did you not remove the seal ride tube on the water pump impeller shaft and replace the oil seal down in the housing bore? The seal ride tube should have been replaced or had the oil seal ride surface polished in a lathe to remove any imperfections.

11. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Yes, the oil seal was removed and replaced, nothing else done.

12. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    An update to my water pump replacement. As you may recall I ordered the water pump seals from T.Rutlands and specifically asked for an original Ferrari part - no afternmarket. I was assured that is what I would get.
    However, after installing two of them from T. Rutlands and then finally getting one from Ferrari, the T. Rutlands part is definitely aftermarket and WILL NOT WORK on our cars. I don't fault T. Rutlands as I don't think they know that their part is defective. The spring rate is way too soft to fully seal. You can actually see the difference in the spring size and can feel the difference too. There are other minor differences as well. You must find an original Ferrari part from a Ferrari dealer to save yourself many $$$ and much frustration. So finally, after three swaps and 9 gallons of anti-freeze we finally have the damn thing sealed.

Many thanks to Brian Brown who accurately diagnosed the problem and provided the solution.

13. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have had this same issue. You may buy a part that is said to be an original Ferrari part and the seller believes that is what he is selling, that is what he is told by his supplier. I changed supplier and received a seal in a Ferrari parts bag that worked as it should. It was clearly different than the previous ones. Having rebuilt these water pumps for 25 years, I have seen the evolution of the seals. Some can be updated, as stated above, with proper modifications. But having the right part is a good start.

14. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    The best thing to do when changing one of these is to compare the one you took out with the new one. If the spring size, and by that I mean the wire size used in the spring, isn't the exact same, don't install it and order another one directly from Ferrari. Rinse and repeat until you get the correct seal.