News

412 Dash removal?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Bradm, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Radiogeek1

Radiogeek1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2008
    Pleasant Ridge, MI
    Full Name:
    Bret Scott
    Hi, Ken and Brad-

Thanks much for all of your posts relating to the removal of your dashes. I'll be attempting the same work this month, and am glad to have found your informative descriptions.

Best regards,

Bret

2. 300man

300man Karting

Mar 19, 2010
    Hi guys!

Looks like time for me to replace the shrunk leather on my 1980 400i dash. so I've looked through the lovely pics in Brad's thread, beautiful work!.
    Mine's an early one, and Right Hand Drive as well, so there are quite a few differences.
    The leather has only shrunk significantly on the top of the instrument cluster, so I'll try to remove only this section on its own. I've done similar jobs on dashboards before, notably on my '64 MB 230SL , and that was not fun. My question is, have any of you got pictures of pre-1981 dash removal, and also, can the binnacle be removed on its own, without taking the rest out?

Thanks for your help

Eric

3. MrPanoramical

MrPanoramical Rookie

Jun 5, 2015
    Guys, I know it is over 10 years ago since these posts were made; following up on the last post - is it possible to remove the 412 instrument binnacle only or must it all come out? Any tips greatly appreciated. Jason

4. carguy246

carguy246 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    You are talking about the Speedo and tach? If I recall you just loosen the black knurled nuts and it comes out. If you want to take the leather covered binnacle off, I don't remember for sure but I think you can unscrew and remove it once the tach and Speedo are out.

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -6
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That’s correct