412 engine | Page 2 | FerrariChat

412 engine

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by motoclau, Apr 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    What happened to the 412? You didn't put a 350 Chevy engine in there did you? What was the serial number?

Thanks

2. motoclau

motoclau Rookie

Apr 13, 2009
    Thanks a mill

RGS

3. 1bad412

1bad412 Rookie

Nov 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    Robert (Bob) Richmon
    Well Ashman, you asked if I pulled the 412 engine for the chevy swap, YES I DID! I was already having trouble with the 5 speed trans and had only been able to find one guy to do a rebuild. That would only run me SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS to just open it up. That's after I pulled it and shipped it to him. Then Parts would be extra. Shortly after that something poped in the engine and #12 cylinder went low on compression (30 lbs) and when you got down on her she would turn into an insect fogger!!!!! I put a LS2 GM engine and Tremeck 6 speed in the car. Even ripped out that Sh@t steering system and went back with power rack and pinion. I got rid of Koni crap load leveling system and had Koni build me adjustable coil-overs all the way around. The car is almost 600 lbs lighter & about 1 1/2" lower to the ground. It's almost done after 3 long years. I hope to start it in the next week or so! I'll post some pictures when it's just a little more tiddy. The engine has 448 HP and looking at the car there is no sign of the conversion except for the lower stance, and maybe the custom wheels!
    All good things can be improved! 1BADBOB

4. 1bad412

1bad412 Rookie

Nov 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    Robert (Bob) Richmon
    OPPS, Ashman had asked for the serial number which is 67463, 1987, Grigio w/ tan.

5. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #30 Ashman, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
    Wow, great story (see my request in the 5 speed thread) and I can understand how the thought of rebuilding both the engine and the transmission at the same time is basically facing the cost that is equal to the value of the whole car. If you are in the northeast U.S., it would be great to see it on the road sometime this summer at one of the Ferrari or multi-make gearhead gatherings.

Also, it would be good to hear more details about who did the rear Koni suspension rebuild for you and if there are any hints that others might use. This is a common topic on the boards but it seems that each person who does it sort of reinvents the wheel on their own. Since this is something that many more might eventually face, it would help if there were good details about what to do and what not to do.

Thanks,

6. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    looking SWEEEET Aidan!!!!!!!!!