412 lambda sansor | FerrariChat

412 lambda sansor

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Philippe Herve, Aug 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Philippe Herve

Jul 11, 2018
    Vieux-Reng France
    Full Name:
    Herve Philippe
    Bonjour all,
    I''ve purchased a 1985 412i from Seattle. The car has been delivery new in Brussel, then exported to California the same year.
    The car is now in France and step by step I check this car who was sleeping from approx 10 years.
    Equipped with lambda sensors installed on the exhausts my question is: can I remove them without risk ?

Thank you for your help.

Hervé, France
    Sorry for my poor english.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    (Assuming it's the stock 412 K-Jet systems with the typical US modification to add a crude Lambda function to the control pressure) Yes, but you'd also best remove the added frequency valve(s) (also sometimes called a metering valve) and the added associated plumbing (if it/they hasn't been removed already). If you can post a photo of the engine bay, it should show whether the frequency valve(s) is(are) still there or not. If you have two Lambda sensors, you should also have two added injection ECUs (or a special two-channel added ECU).

Of course, it's always possible that Lambda (Oxygen) Sensors were add to the exhaust just as eye-candy to fool a US inspector and aren't really doing anything ;)

3. Philippe Herve

Jul 11, 2018
    Vieux-Reng France
    Full Name:
    Herve Philippe
    Dear Steve,
    First thank you for your help. this is the engine of the beast.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Here is a pic of the frequency valve, and other components I removed from my 1985 400i.
    The diagram shows the other components used in a typical US emissions update, if you have the oxygen/lambda sensors then you probably have the other parts also. I removed all of mine as the system was already not working and not original to the car.

Gary

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    This jpeg shows what I think are the added frequency valves:

They are a different style than what Part Time posted. One fuel line from each should go to a stacked set of banjo fittings on its warm-up regulator -- can you post a closer picture of each and its warm-up regulator showing these connecting lines? The other fuel line from each frequency valve would go to one of the fuel distributors.

One difference can be that Part Time's system was already disabled, and since the air-fuel ratios would've been tweaked after the disabling, he could remove it with no change to the engine operation. If your Lambda system is actually working now, and you remove it, you would (probably) need to readjust the air-fuel ratios.. One thing you can do just touch the frequency valves when the engine is running to feel if they are vibrating (if they are, your Lambda system is working). Alternatively, if the electric wiring going to these frequency valves can be unplugged, you could try unplugging them with the engine running to see if the engine operation changes.

6. Philippe Herve

Jul 11, 2018
    Vieux-Reng France
    Full Name:
    Herve Philippe
  7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Need to correct myself -- this jpeg shows an added frequency valve:

Not sure what those two pneumatic gizmos with the yellow end caps are, but the way they are plumbed looks sort of odd.

Some questions:

1. Do you have one or two Lambda (Oxygen) Sensors?

2. Do you have one or two added frequency valves?

3. Do you have one or two added "white box(es)"?

Other 400i/412 that have this modification typically only had one of each item as the control pressures from the two WURs are connected together (so there is only one average control pressure even though there are two WURs).

8. Philippe Herve

Jul 11, 2018
    Vieux-Reng France
    Full Name:
    Herve Philippe
    Hi Steve,
    I've 2 lamda sensors
    1 added frequency valve
    1 added white box
    thank you

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Can't say that I understand how two Lambda sensor signals could be used to control a single frequency valve. On the schematic that Gary posted, it only shows one Lambda sensor input signal. If you do remove the system, would be interested to learn if they are really both hooked up to the white box ;). Might be that one is used by the white box, and the other is just used to aid in setting the air-fuel mixture - just a thought... Couple more questions:

4. Does the frequency valve vibrate/buzz when the engine is running at warm idle?

5. If you unplug the frequency valve when the engine is warm iding, does the engine warm idling behavior change at all?

10. Philippe Herve

Jul 11, 2018
    Vieux-Reng France
    Full Name:
    Herve Philippe
    Hi Steve
    1. when engine warm idle, disconnecting the frequency valve change nothing.
    2.at my opinion the frequency valve do not vibrate.
    Thank you

11. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Philippe....I also removed my cats for a different reason, (the left cat convertor had overheated and broke apart, plugging the tail-pipe) see my pic, my sensors were in the same position as yours.
    And here is what I used to plug the sensor hole, which is just forward of where the cat was cut off, you can see the new weld in the pic above.

Gary

12. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Hello Steve and Philippe......we are live !

13. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Philippe, just asking...what is the last 5 of your VIN #....we both have 1985 cars, mine is 55027..

Gary

14. Philippe Herve

Jul 11, 2018
    Vieux-Reng France
    Full Name:
    Herve Philippe
    Hi Gary,
    In fact I do not like these 33 years old catalytics exhaust probably dirty inside. I will remove them . The size of the plug is metric(18 mm) and easy to find here in France.
    Thank you for your help
    Herve

15. Philippe Herve

Jul 11, 2018
    Vieux-Reng France
    Full Name:
    Herve Philippe
    Mine is 59697, Sold new at Brussel, then export to Newport Beach Cal

16. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    I ran the emissions research and design portion of a Federal Emissions Laboratory for almost 5 years in the early 1980s, and can tell you quite a bit about what you have here...the integrator circuit was made by Dave Johnson(I know his son well, and he lives right here not a mile from where I sit, by sheer coincidence!), and assuming that this was a legitimate "modify and test" car(which is likely from the pictures posted), the reality was that those "lambda" boxes were quite short lived...we used to joke that they were only as long lived as was the test), the LA-55 FTP....
    The catalyst in this era was loaded 4, 4, 5 grams per cubic foot, in what was called the "317" cat....named for a commercially available unit manufactured by: Zuena-Starker AG, in WG, under license from the patent holders(my fathers best friend at The Office of Naval Intelligence at MIT invented it, and is the original patent holder for "finely particulated", colloidal platinum, palladium and rhodium TWC-as a side note.) We spent MANY years in Federal court on patent infringement violations by almost every manufacturer in the world...I digress...
    That said, there OUGHT to be two of these...there ALSO should be 2(two) gold colored ballasts that have lots of heat sink fins on them and which will be wired into the harnesses as well-1 for each bank.
    The trick with these Ferraris(BBi and early TSs as well)was: the bench measuring-and matching-of the decay rates for the bi-metallic springs in the control pressure regulators-as the simultaneous decay rate was the most critical factor in passing the cold bag-once the cats lite, its game over-the car draws "flat lines".
    Its the first 45 seconds of the test-up and over the "big hill"-which is where you win or lose the game in this test,in MY experience(over a dozen small volume certificates of manufacture-the same proto-call which Ferrari and most other "small volume manufacturers of Passenger cars and Light duty Vehicles below GVW of 7500 Lbs. certifies their cars for sale here in the US.and NA markets.
    The evaporative SHED test is another story for another day....and NOBODY will call you on this-good or bad...

If you want to run "open loop," its a rather simple process of deletion and then re-setting your control pressures up properly, the base idle, and idle CO..
    Also, a nanometer to set left bank/right bank balance at idle,and cracked, and at 2500RPM.
    The CIS/Bosch ECU will take care of the rest-which isn't much....the 32 pin prom chip MIGHT use 18%of its capacity for every model, market, in the world which this car was intended for, maybe...
    Any additional questions, drop a PM
    ciao