412 wheel options | FerrariChat

412 wheel options

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by ecavalino, Jan 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ecavalino

ecavalino Rookie

Oct 15, 2007
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hey folks .... Still seeking a 412 however does anyone have any ideas as to what wheel options (f style) will fit? Without it looking way aftermarket or blingy but rather stock.

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Wouldn't the 328 convex wheels (ABS cars 88.5 and later, I think) fit on the 412 just as the 328 non-ABS wheels fit on the 400i? Spacers are needed but are available.

I'm assuming that you are looking to replace TRX wheels as some 412s had these while others, presumably later in the run, had 7 1/2 x 16" wheels.

Or are you trying to find a different style altogether from the Ferrari 5 spoke wheels?

3. ecavalino

ecavalino Rookie

Oct 15, 2007
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Eric
    yes thinking something different but Ferrari styled.

4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Someone here has 348 wheels on his 412. Looked pretty good.
    Was looking into this just last week.

5. GrigioAlloy

GrigioAlloy Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    Netherlans
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have 16" Testarossa front rims front and rear.
    Looks very close to stock and no modifications to the body work are needed.

The wheels make the track the tiniest bit wider meaning space between tire and bodywork is decreased, but not rubbing on any part.

I think they are 1/2 inch wider than original 16" factory supplied rims. I have seen the factory supplied once and years ago Ferrari could deliver them at 1500 euro each.

Since they are nearly simular in appearence to the TRX rims which I keep as spare/original set. The tire choice has impact on cars overall comfort level. I decided for tires with stiffer shoulder (sportier) which clearly change the cars driving feel.

Given that the shoulder is lower the car will always feel stiffer.

If you are interrested I can post some pictures.

Peter

6. GrigioAlloy

GrigioAlloy Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    Netherlans
    Full Name:
    Peter
  7. ecavalino

ecavalino Rookie

Oct 15, 2007
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Grigioalloy .... What do they look like on the car!

8. GrigioAlloy

GrigioAlloy Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    Netherlans
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I am not at home right now but will place pictures soon.

Then you can all judge for yourself.

The reason I tried it is that i could suddenly buy two sets of TR wheels.
    Kept the front rims and sold the rear ones (although it was tempting to consider changing the wheel arches, adding spacers and just go for it).

So update to follow.

9. GrigioAlloy

GrigioAlloy Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    Netherlans
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #9 GrigioAlloy, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well- based on your report 2 of my 4 TR fronts arrived today-

What size rubber are you running on them?? Honestly they don't fill the wheelwells out right- not like the TRX-

11. GrigioAlloy

GrigioAlloy Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    Netherlans
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #11 GrigioAlloy, Mar 8, 2011
    I'll post pictures with the TRX side by side when i can get the car out.
    The angle is not very flattering for the car view but will put it side by side and measure them for size.

I have a brand new set of TRX's with the car also. So can maybe swap the wheels on the same location and make pictures from same angles.

Placed two pictures of the car on TRX. The track image is not totally reliable as the car is in a left turn so leaning to the right.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Those are 240/55 16 on there??

My two TR wheels came with 255/50 16s- I'm going to put them up against the TRX and try and get a feel as to what replacement tire size would look right. The other two TR wheels are coming with no tires on them- But I was just about to order four new tires- gotta get the sizing right...

Now that I have the TR wheels I can say they are virtually identical to the 412 wheels-

13. GrigioAlloy

GrigioAlloy Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    Netherlans
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I am not near the car but will get the pictures taken this weekend including measuring and tire size.

Your remark is interresting as when I was running the car on TRX's I thought about lowering it several times.

So maybe my 412 sits a bit higher than others. I'll measure the height of the bodywork on TRX and 16" also to compare. Do not know when you have to order the tires as i can not get this done sooner.

14. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #14 full_garage, Mar 8, 2011
    The TRX just seem to fill out the hweelwells on mine very nicely- I'll get a good measurement in the morning and make sure the replacement tires get the same look-

15. Flat_Twelve

Flat_Twelve Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Hi Jay,

It sounds to me like they gave you rear instead of front Testarossa rims. The size of tires they gave you is the size of the stock rear tires on the Testarossa, which are mounted on a 10" wide rim. The stock fronts are 225/50-16 on an 8" wide rim.

The 255/50-16s are notoriously difficult to find as it's a pretty much do-do bird tire size now.

Still searching for a 400i,
    Neil

16. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Nope- 8"x16 with 225/50 16s mounted.

17. Flat_Twelve

Flat_Twelve Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Gotcha, I read your post to say 255 rather than 225...

Cheers
    Neil

18. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #18 full_garage, Mar 9, 2011
    The 225's are quite a bit smaller on 16" rims than the stock 240/415s.

The stock tires have a width of 9.45" at the tread and a diameter of 26.73"

The Stock TR wheels and tires have a tread width of 8.58" and a diameter of 24.86".

If I put a taller, more period correct tire on there- 225/60ZR16 then I have a narrower tread width which should make the rear tires fit OK and a diameter of 26.63" - which should result in an accurate Speedo, a bit sharper turn-in and a very comfortable ride.

The wheels on my car were resprayed Argento by the PO- and it looks so "right" - so once I have all four wheel sin hand it's off to the body shop for a repspray-

19. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    225 seems fairly small for a car the size and weight of a 412, it is the same cross section as on my wife's C-class Mercedes, which has 17 inch wheels.

Wouldn't a 245/50 ZR16 be a better fit on those 16 inch wheels? There seem to be a lot of choices available for that size. Even then, it is smaller in tread width at 8" and overall diameter at 25.7" than the stock tires.

The 255/50 ZR16 has a 26" diameter but has few choices at Tire Rack, limited to BF Goodrich and Hankooks as well as some Hoosier DOT track and competitions if you really want some stick on the road.

20. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    John-

I'm worried that the rears will be too close to the fender lip- since the TR wheels do stick out just a hair more.

I'm running 225/55VR16 on my E Class- Which is a larger car than a 412- In general I've found that wider modern tires tend to tramline more- you know- follow the ruts of the road-

245/50 is 9.64" wide at the tread- with a diameter of 25.64"- so a bit smaller in diameter than the TRS bit quite a bit wider at the tread- i don't think that's a good size for this car.

I can go 235/55 or 235/60- 55s are a bit smaller dia. at 26.17, 60s a bit taller at 27.1

21. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #21 Ashman, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
    As a reference, later versions of the 412 were fitted with Goodyear Eagle 245/55 VR 16's on 7 1/2" X 16" wheels according to the Murani/Pasini Ferrari 412 book by Automobilia and confirmed by the 1988 412 owners manual.

But that size seems to be NLA, at least on Tire Rack.

Didn't I see somewhere that the stock 240 TRX tire has a tread width of 9.45 inches? Would an additional 0.2" really make a difference?

22. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    John-

TRX width is around 9.5"- If i were to purchase OEM 16" wheels that would be one thing- But the testarossa wheels are 8"x16" and they sit just a tad wider on the car than OEM- So I AM concerned about tread width at the rear-

So by the time you add the extra width of the TR wheels and the extra quarter inch of the tires- I think the tires WILL rub during hard cornering.

23. 1bad412

1bad412 Rookie

Nov 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    Robert (Bob) Richmon
    #23 1bad412, Mar 15, 2011
    Hey fellows I've been running these after-market wheels for several years and want to sell them as I had a set of custom Fiske wheels built. They are as NEW and I was running Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 P225/55ZR17 tires. I will sell them w/o the tires, but will supply the proper lug bolts. They fit the car perfect and the tires made the car drive and handle like a dream (what a difference from the original garbage!). I'm running Goodyear EAG F1 GS-D3 101W in size 225 55 R17 on my Fikse 5S wheels. If anyone is interested in the Compomotive wheels I'll take 1K for the set with the lug bolts. I paid $1800 plus the lugs, freight and tax back in 2002. Regards, Bob