Heat shields | FerrariChat

Heat shields

Discussion in '308/328' started by Corrupt File, Jun 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Corrupt File

Corrupt File Karting

Jun 17, 2013
    Canada.
    Good day all, just joined up to this form as I have been lucky enough to be given my dads 77 308GTB. It has not been used for ten years he is the original and only owner and I am having it serviced and put on the road again. The mechanics are suggesting I remove the heat shields from the headers. Yes it will save weight, but I have seen in another discussion about excessive heat in the engine bay. Was wondering if anybody has recently had any experience doing this and would you recommend it? The old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind.

2. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Removed the aluminum covers from the heaters and had the entire exhaust system ceramic coated. Still finishing up the winter project, so not sure yet what the heat reduction will be yet. I think the euro models don't have the aluminum heat shields.

3. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    If you simply remove all the covering and do nothing, there will be parts of the headers uncomfortably close to units such as the starter motor. Euro cars dont have the covering but have additional aluminium heatshields added instead.

4. Wilson308

Wilson308 Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2012
    Arkansas, USA
    Full Name:
    Wilson
    I'd leave it alone unless you're replacing them with something better. Did the mechanics give some kind of reason other than weight reduction? Doesn't seem like much weight to begin with.

5. Corrupt File

Corrupt File Karting

Jun 17, 2013
    Canada.
    He says the insulation will have stopped doing its job, and just absorbs water. He has also removed lots of heat shields on other 308s with out any issues.

Thanks for the replies.

6. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
    Water from where...just say no...

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    At some point in the future, I plan on removing the shielding and then coating the headers inside and out.

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If you drive it in the rain, there is a good chance the headers will get wet...mine have some cracks in the shielding. I could definitely see how moisture could get in there. Luckily mine has lived its whole life in good conditions, so no excessive corrosion.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's spun asbestos in there, not cotton.
    It's not holding water

You WOULD be able to see stress cracks before they blow out, but sometimes it's better not to know.....

Congrats that's the BEST year!!
    :D :D :D

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The headers themselves are stainless tubing..

11. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Welcome to the chat. Just about any question you could ask has been asked before. Do a few trial tests of the search function and you will find an immense wealth of owner experience and many professional responders to help us all.

Like you, I have a 77. I also inherited my fathers one owner 74 911 and it was a real eye opener to discover the car's condition and get to setting things right.

On a car that has sat for 10 years, I can think of a zillion things to do before removing the header heat shielding.

First and foremost would be the condition of the brakes, closely followed by the timing belt condition, (good for about 5 years with good reliability).

I would recommend you sit down with the people your dad had maintain the car, (if you get the feeling that he really trusted them) and talk about the condition of the car and what maintenance is past due, due now and what you can look forward to in the near future.

The 308 is not a complex car by today's standards, but there are some things that really have to be done right or it can get real expensive.

Do you want to do any/some/all of the work on the car???

What is your situation??

We are here to help,
    chris

12. newto308

newto308 Karting

Mar 20, 2007
    McLean, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I had my headers ceramic coated after I removed all the aluminum and insulation. The headers are cool enough to touch within one minute of engine shut down, even after hard driving.

13. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    The other advantage to removing the covering is that you can see if the header is cracked or broken.

I had the material from under the heat shield that protects the vent tube tested, it was a very fine fiberglass. I'm pretty sure this is a the same material on the headers.

I am wondering what this will do to the emissions test.

14. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Should be good, the coating keeps the heat in.

15. Corrupt File

Corrupt File Karting

Jun 17, 2013
    Canada.
    Oh believe me my friend, it's not just heat shields. I'm just asking the opinion of all the members on this form on that topic. All those hoses belts are of and being replaced. I'm havin a major service done to it. As you mentioned the calipers, they are in great shape, just replacing the pads.

16. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I had a '78 GTS and when I did an engine-out on the car, I removed the covers and insulation from the headers. I then sent them to Jet Hot and had them coated inside and out by them. I did them in the Jet Hot silver and they came back looking great. The heat level in the engine compartment actually went down after removing the insulation and having the headers coated. The Jet Hot silver held up really well and showed no signs of peeling or color change right up until I sold the car.

If your mechanic is going to strip the insulation, I would definitely recommend having the headers coated, inside and out. I have used Jet Hot several times and been very satisfied with their work and quality of coating. YMMV, and you might use one of the other services people mention, but either way, do consider having them coated. Don't leave them bare.

17. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    First of all congratulations on the acquisition of the 308. A one owner car in the family from new is really cool.

Regarding the headers please take my advice and REMOVE THE ENGINE. Taking off the front header when it is shielded on a 308 is brutally hard with very little access. With the engine out it is very simple. Also because the car has sat so long there are tons of things to do in the engine bay and with the engine out every single one of them will go much much faster. Pulling the motor on a 308 is really simple and the in and out time will be more than made up on labor in struggling with an engine that is installed. Not only that there will be a ton of extra jobs you can do to get the car road ready for the next decade.

Regarding the headers I have done this job and totally recommend removing the shielding, plugging the air injection holes and lastly ceramic coating the headers. In my case the under hood temperatures noticeably went down. Good luck with your project.

18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    He asked if they get wet, which they do. Lots of cracked and leaking headers out there made out of stainless.

19. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    If you are removing the air pump system, talk to smg2 about a set of air nozzle plugs. This will eliminate the whistle that is created by the holes left behind.

20. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    The header insulation may get wet on occasion, but the header heat will quickly dry them out.

Bill

21. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

#21 4right, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I have a '77, just did the headers in ceramic coat.

23. Corrupt File

Corrupt File Karting

Jun 17, 2013
    Canada.
    Thanks again for all the great advice and replies. The engine was taken out, had the heads cleaned, putting in new valves, as the originals were in there. The o2 pumps were taken off by the dealer in 78, all maintainence had been performed by said factory dealer until now. Don't recall any whistling besides the sonic beauty of those lovely webers singing their tune :). Shocks springs are all original and ring replaced. Ill have to inquire about this ceramic coating. As for smog emissions, I live in Canada, don't have to abide by the California standards ;) sorry for you guys that have to.

24. enzo777enzo

enzo777enzo Rookie

Oct 29, 2013
    Argentina - La Pampa
    hello
    i buy my car a not have heat shield in manifold.- I want made theys (2) in hard alumine.-
    Please.- Can someone send pics of shields??? and measures??
    Regards
    Enzo

25. Jamesg68

Jamesg68 Rookie

Jul 27, 2014
    BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA
    Full Name:
    JAMES G
    From the picture of the engine bay, can someone tell me what is the grey material sprayed/rolled onto the body(inner trunk wall) between the exhaust header and the trunk, is it heat shield, is it sprayed on, rolled on, what is it and how is it applied?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated