412i Michelin TRX Tire replacement | Page 2 | FerrariChat

412i Michelin TRX Tire replacement

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by BruceKaf, Jul 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Just got my new tires delivered from Longstone. Great service and quick delivery.

Two more thumbs up for Longstone.

Just for clarity I use the 240/45 tire, ie the TRX GT. The lower profile does look good on the 400's and I like the more modern look of the thread better.

The first set was bough at the millennium (manufactured late 90's) and the latest set is two new ones now that goes in front and two in the rears from 2018. All TRX GT, ie 45 profile. Should last a few years. The car has only covered 33k miles form new :) .

Will the 45 profile go out of production?

2. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi Sebackman

Thank you for your kind words.

To my knowledge i beleive they plan to continue to make the 240/45R415 TRX GT. It is really made for a BMW 635 CSi. The dimentins are on here

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/michelin-classic-tyres/trx/240-45r415-michelin-trx-gt.html

OD 640mm

this is the 240/55R415 TRX

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/michelin-classic-tyres/trx/240-55r415-michelin-trx.html

OD 679mm

That is a difference of 39mm (about 1 3/4") I think that is quite a big difference. That will lower the car, change the gearing, make the wheel arches not so full and the speedo will be out. I'm not sure it is a route i would choose to take.

Have you fitted and driven on them yet? might you want to re think it? we can probably help if you haven't driven on them.

3. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Hi Longstone,

Thank you for your kind offer. I have been running the 45 profile all around since the millennium and aside from the speedo reading wrong I think they are better in all aspects. I use a GPS for speed info.

Handling and stability is better, they run more silent and, in my opinion, improves the look of the car with the lower stance and thread pattern.

It does get lower but I have not had any problems with that and I do think they look the part in the wheel houses.

I have attached a picture so you can be your own judge on that.

Kind regards
    //Rob

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds and samsaprunoff like this.
  4. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    The 45 profile (lower ride) increases the risk of hitting the exhaust manifold/pipe on road irregularities such as badly designed speed bumps.

wrxmike likes this.
  5. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    You are right, but remember that the ride height only lowers with half the diameter change which is about 20mm. The distance change between the axle (center) and the tire thread surface (ie not 40mm, as mentioned).

I have used the 45 profile tires in +20 years without problems. Ok, I do admit that I'm a bit cautious driving over speed bumps and often go diagonal if they are massive. But I have not hit anything yet. Knock on wood.

6. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Oo sorry i cannot agree that handling will be better.

yes maybe directional stability could be slightly improved by having less side wall heighth. However i dont think the 412 is renown for wandering at cruising speeds. I always thought that was one of its strong points.

But the ride will be quite dramatically effected by having nearly an inch less ride height, which again i always thought was a strong point of the 412.

The TRX GT is still a great tyre, and it is still a cool car.

What i often think in circumstances like this is it would be great if there was an easy way to simply swap back to stasndard set up for a day and try it, but that doesnt come cheap.

Have you seen this page about Vintage Ferrari Tyres?

https://www.lucasclassictires.com/Vintage-Ferrari-Tires_c298.htm

there will be a 400 and 412 page on there soon but you can get the 16" P7 off there if you need them.

7. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    All it takes is finding another 412 with the correct 415mm TRX tires and swapping them for a day, which I would gladly do if we were in the vicinity.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    If memory serves me well, one of our member has two cars, one with metric wheels, one with regaular modern tires. His conclusion was that the modern tires did not offer significant performance increase (more afordable though).

The new TRX are very good. The coumpound seems much more soft (after 900km, mine do show some wear, which never occured with the older tires).

@sebackman has a cab, the shorter radius makes the overall ratio shorter, which could be a good idea for a cab that is probably not going to reach 240kmh very often.

sebackman likes this.
  9. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Ak Jim and of2worlds like this.
  10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    An inexpensive new tire is way better than the top of the line 10 year old tire.

11. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    tiich and Schumi like this.
  12. tiich

tiich Rookie

Oct 17, 2022
    Ticino Switzerland
    couldn't have said it better.