Instrument Cluster + Dash + LED package | FerrariChat

Instrument Cluster + Dash + LED package

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dr Kananga, Sep 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    I have to remove the dash to install the AC blow, correctly.
    Also, replacing/repairing the hoses under there is nearly impossible.

'While I am in there...':

- Replace 'flaps' at the center vent to block the heater-side.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/257789-308-dash-top-heat-vent-flaps.html
    - LED dash upgrade
    - replace the screws on my steering wheel since the heads are wrecked (couldn't get the wheel off)
    - replace plastic lenses for Crowndog's glass replacements
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/337650-glass-crystal-clock.html

Couple questions:

1) what is the best way to remove the screws on the wheel? I would like to try and salvage at least one to replace. OR does anyone know what the replacement it?
    2) why does everyone bypass the dash dimmer?
    3) At the speedo connection, there is some kind of grease. I am going to clean it on the speedo side, but I am sure it needs to be coated before screwing it back to the car: what is the grease that needs to go here?

I am sure I will have 12308182673010423192318265782493 more questions, despite the gig appearing to be pretty straight forward.

SIDE NOTE-

It's impossible to find the correct LEDs from one source.
    It's impossible to guarantee the product is what you ordered since it's probably coming from overseas.

I am trying to have all the bulbs made from one manufacturer - include the 8 SMD T10 with a BA9s base - and package it for you guys.
    I can't order just one, so everyone wins. (see: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/371962-i-have-exact-replica-my-coolant-tank-decal.html)

Let me know who is interested in an LED upgrade kit so I have a rough idea of how many people are actually interested and I will make a lose list.

As for cost--
    It wont cost more than buying the bulbs on their own, if you can find them.
    I am not trying to get rich.
    Just fix my car with the best parts possible and hook some people up with my surplus.

Cheers.

2. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    I don't get it. You're custom manufacturing LED lights because you can't buy them all from one source? What makes the ones you're manufacturing "correct" (given that the original car didn't come with LEDs)?

Having done LED instrument light swaps before, color me skeptical. There's nothing special about the instrument panel lights. You just need to figure out what kind of base they use (e.g., wedge style, screw in, etc.), and source an equivalent LED that has the same base. In the case of one car I did this on, any LED with a 174 wedge type base would have worked fine.

I sourced some of mine from LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS Some tips for anyone considering upgrading their instrument panel bulbs:

1. In addition to getting bulbs with a compatible base, pay attention to the overall dimensions of the bulb (try to stay as close to original because there's limited space behind the instruments).

2. Also find LEDs with wide dispersion angles. Narrow dispersion angles will give you spots of light that are brighter in places than others.

3. Try to source LEDs that are as bright as possible.

One other thing I'll mention is that it doesn't make sense to replace all of your car's bulbs with LEDs. In my experience, the instrument panel lights make the biggest difference. Other lights (like rear tail lamps) actually make no difference to light output, or (as in the case of interior puddle or courtesy lights) can be noticeably dimmer or look worse than standard incandescent bulbs.

3. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    SuperbrightLED.com can't source all the bulbs, at the correct size.
    I am not manufacturing anything.
    I am having people who make LEDs manufacture them.
    How will I know they are correct? Cause I am putting them on my car.

I removed the dash.
    No one is talking about turning signals.

My apologies for trying to make it easier for everyone else.

4. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    #4 SilverLeaf, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    Still don't get it, but whatever...

The site I referenced in my last post has a new feature that allows you to look up compatible bulbs for specific cars. Here's the full list of exterior bulbs for the 308, 328 and Mondial. Couldn't get much easier than this:

1987 Ferrari 308 328 Mondial LED Lights | LED Replacement Bulbs for Cars | 12v | Super Bright LEDs

The feature doesn't list instrument panel lights, but they do have a section dedicated to this. Just figure out what kind of base the stock bulbs have, then choose the style of replacement LEDs you want. There are multiple bulb designs available for dash panel lights as you can see here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/instrument-cluster-gauge/

308deano likes this.
  5. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I'll disagree with you on that point - One of my other cars uses old Fiat tail light units, they were originally used on the Fiat 600 and 850 Coupe, but were also used on the Ford GT40 Mark 1, Lancia Stratos, etc.

Even in new housings with decently polished reflectors, the original 1157 and 1156 brake/tail and turn light bulbs were too dim, dangerously so in reduced visibility conditions. I changed them to LEDs earlier this year - used these 1157 LED Bulb - Dual Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower | LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs for the 1157 brake/tail bulbs, and these http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-led-bulb-single-intensity-18-smd-led-tower/163/ for the turn signal bulbs. They are MUCH brighter, ie greater light output, than the regular incandescent bulbs in those old housings, so the light units now have modern levels of light output and visibility.

Matt Sanchez likes this.
  6. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    That's fair, Gordon. With 220 lumens of light output, those are some serious LEDs! :) My experience was on newer cars, where the difference between going from stock to LED wasn't as pronounced. The style of bulbs and the color temperature I chose may have also contributed to it. With the dome light for example, the interior wasn't any brighter, and the color temperature of the light actually made it much harder to read maps, etc. in the dark. I switched back to traditional incandescent as a result. Your mileage may vary, but:

- Swapping out the instrument cluster and the license plate lights are where I noticed the biggest improvement.

- Turn indicators, tail lamps, etc. didn't seem to be any different in terms of light output, and since the lenses are colored, the LED color temperature didn't make any discernable improvement in light quality.

- And as I mentioned earlier, changing the interior puddle and dome lights to LEDs looked and performed worse.

7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Three reasons.

1. Because it melts the tachometer and fill your cabin with noxious fumes (see below)

2. It contributes to the poor backlight output.

3. Why would you possibly want the backlight any dimmer?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    There is an excellent comprehensive led comparison study for all the led bulbs that fit our cars. It resides on a Ferrari forum who's name we do not speak. Check it out as it is an important source of information. And an important informational on sourcing

9. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Dimmer will work pretty well with an led dash conversion which on first blush doesn't make sense. But trust me....it works.

10. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
  11. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    #11 Dr Kananga, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok guys...

Finally got this thing dialed in--

I was having a hard time with the lighting on the speedo-side.
    I couldn't figure out what the issue was until this happened --> http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/143592115-post1.html

The lighting was good... not great.

I took a shot on one more type of bulb (I went thru so many not realizing the issue was not the bulbs) and it... is... sooooooo... good.
    See pic one for new bulbs on left and old bulbs on right.
    The old bulbs are in the picture with my hand.
    The new bulb is the other pic.

This is where I got the bulbs: Xenon White 6 SMD High Power Error Free H6W 64132 LED Bulbs for Parking Lights | eBay

In six months, when you can't open that eBay link, you can go directly to the eBay seller's page --> Car LED bulbs, Automotive light bulbs items in MotoringMax store on eBay!

And, when that doesn't work, you can go directly to their website--> Shop Car LED Lights, LED Bulbs, Headlights, Tail Lights, Fog Lamps

I included some pics of the 'before I shaved down the inner part of the speedo'.
    You can see the difference before the 'shave' and after with the 6-chip bulbs.

On to the next one...

magnum likes this.
  12. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Nice job and thanks for posting the sources.

13. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    Dr. Kananga,
    I see this is an old thread, but I'm in a project converting my 1988 328 to LED dash lights, and have similar experience to yours - not just any LED lamp with the right base will perform well, and there are vast differences between them, some counterintuitive (like a 6-LED lights better than an 8-LED bulb)... Add to that the fact that my Speedo has a clear light pipe ring, while my tachometer does not... and it's been challenging, to say the least.

However, I see you mention one thing in your quest that I wonder if I can apply to my car:
    "I included some pics of the 'before I shaved down the inner part of the speedo'.
    You can see the difference before the 'shave' and after with the 6-chip bulbs."
    Can you elaborate a bit on what you actually did, and which before and after pictures illustrate the difference in results?
    Many thanks for your work on this - you've helped a lot of people with this, for sure!

14. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    I was having such a hard time with the speedo-side of the cluster I decided to take the entire thing apart to see what was going on.

I assumed something was 'off'.

I couldn't visibly see any issues.
    Given the 'system' that lights up the gauge, I figured I could shave down the black-inner part down a bit to let in more light.
    I took apart the RPM gauge to see the depth of its black-inner part and, sure 'nuff, it was a bit shorter... annoying.

It's a real pain in the ass to get those chromed bezels back on.
    For that, I took it to a speedo professional, here in Los Angeles, who had done work for me before.

I would DEF try different bulbs before taking it apart.
    Like you said: some 6-bulb configurations are better than some 8-bulb.

Also--
    Twist the bulbs when they're in the cluster; redirecting the beam seems to help a bit too.

15. Matt Sanchez

Matt Sanchez Rookie

Sep 12, 2019
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Matt Sanchez
    Hi Gordon,
    Could you please tell me if you bought the colored LEDs or the white ones?
    Thanks!
    Matt

16. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Hi Matt,
    I had to scroll back and see what I had written! I did use the colored LEDs - amber for turn signals, red for the brake/running lights.

17. Matt Sanchez

Matt Sanchez Rookie

Sep 12, 2019
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Matt Sanchez
    Thank you Gordon!
    All the best
    Matt