430 clutch replacement cost | FerrariChat

430 clutch replacement cost

Discussion in '360/430' started by Dougster, Mar 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    Reading through some other threads it looks like a 430 clutch job at a dealer is going in the $8-9k range, which matches a quote I just got for my car.

Has anyone had their clutch done recently at an indy that can give me a ballpark of the cost? I think I recall seeing something in the $6k range but I haven’t been able to find that info.

Thanks,to anyone that can provide some info.[

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    my guy in pdx said it was closer to $4k.

3. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Do it yourself and learn a LOT about how your car works and what state it’s in..!
    In the process you can deal with other items that might fail within shortly after having someone else doing it for you (i.e. IF they do a sloppy job).

It’s just not the clutch itself that might need to be replaced. Could be that you need a new clutch sensor, TOB, Flange, Pilot bearing, End seal, bolts, etc, etc...

cavlino likes this.
  4. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mine was about 9k, but that is because all the sensors, throw out bearings, misc seals, and F1 fluids were changed as well

whatheheck likes this.
  5. jochem00

jochem00 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2014
    Netherlands
    its an eleven hour job plus parts

6. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    10-12 hours so labor wise you are looking at US$ 1,000 to US$ 2,000 depending on who you have perform it. The clutch itself is going to run you about US$ 2,500 - US$ 3,500 depending what all you need to replace...so $ 3,500 on the cheap side, all the way to US$ 5,500.

7. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    A reputable shop should be able to do it for around $6500 max, parts and labor, and then be able to back it all up. Do your research on local reputable service shops and ask them if they guarantee their work. Also, use as many OEM parts as possible and source them yourself to save even more money (make sure the shop won't have a problem with that). Ricambi sells a kit with everything you need, and Fchat members get a discount.

8. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Considering a 430 that’s close to needing one so just got a quote from a local shop. To install the clutch, release bearing, pilot bearing, sensor, rear main seal, fluids and setup is right at $7000. Also includes full inspections.

9. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Other than the obvious clutch parts. What tools are needed for a DIY Clutch job?

10. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Sounds reasonable, but if you haven't even bought the car yet, I would build that into your negotiations.

11. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    A well sorted set of ratchet spanners AND the WSM will be a good start.

I bought a ”clutch alignment tool” and a special tool made for removing the bolts holding the ”release bearing flange” from Superformance: http://www.superformance.co.uk/360/clutch.html

All of their parts and tools are sold by Ricambi (also HE parts).

When it comes to the special tool for bolts holding the release bearing flange, you might as well use a bent spanner which you grind open. I’ve seen a few examples of these home made tools here on F-chat.

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    It certainly varies from indy to dealer, prices also varies from State to State.

On my 360 when i had the clutch replaced by the dealer it cost me $9,100.00. I posted the service receipt here.
    I was quoted by an indy $8,200.00.

I know how expensive labor is so when the dealer replaced the clutch on my previous 360 I told them to replace whatever other parts they think should be replaced. I believe in doing the job right the first time.

13. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Don't you need an SD2 to set PIS if you DIY?

Steve

14. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I got quoted 5.5k, more or less depending on all the other items mentioned above.

15. Doug2D

Doug2D Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Back when the British pound was cheaper, parts for the clutch from the UK can be had for quite a steal. I paid about £1800 (at that time $2400) for the parts, including a new sensor and upgraded clutch bearing from Hill Engineering. Labor would be about another $2000 or so (@SF hourly labor rates).

16. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    Thanks everyone this info is helpful.

17. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    A dealer?!? Why would anyone ever bring an out-of-warranty car to a dealer? That's just begging to be hosed every which way possible. Take the time to find a reputable independent (with extensive Ferrari experience) and either take the car to him or do the work yourself.

As another data point, I paid just over $5K for a complete clutch replacement (all components detailed above) on my 430 last summer.

TODDZTR likes this.
  18. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    well, if the difference is only $1000 like in Dan's post (#12) and they offer a warranty on their work, hypothetically look after your car a little better, and have the proper tools & diagnostic computers, then it might be a worthwhile alternative to consider.

Bullfighter and whatheheck like this.
  19. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    With a strong emphasis on "hypothetically"... I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone patronize their local Pep Boys, et al. and simply hope for the best.

If one selects the right independent, he'll have the proper tools and diagnostic computers, Ferrari factory training and certification, and will offer a meaningful warranty. If that's not possible in one's area, then perhaps the local dealer is the best available option. Fortunately, those of us in central Florida have Bruce Anderson of Maranello Autosport.

20. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Clutch Master has the clutch for reasonable price. Also , I know people who have had their clutch rebuilt without any issues