430 DIY Motor Mounts | FerrariChat

430 DIY Motor Mounts

Discussion in '360/430' started by Joegnsx, Jul 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    #1 Joegnsx, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Replaced the motor mounts today (with help from Jasone), and the job is a DIY for most anyone. I did some searches, but only found some posts about the 360 which were helpful, but I can add some pointers I did not find on line. It really helps to have a lift, which I do, but can be done with ramps and jack(s).

1. Buy 2 new motor mounts (I used the Internet) part 216357 (old # 209069).
    2. Raise car and remove middle cover-- about 12 bolts.
    3. Use 24mm or 15/16" wrench and socket, or 2 wrenches to remove large bolt running down the center of the motor mounts. (I read this strips easily but mine did not)
    4. Remove 4 17mm bolts/nuts holding mount in place. (1 of them will not come out until you raise the motor slightly in next step.
    5. Raise the motor about an inch. ( I used the lift and a 2X6--lowered the car/motor onto the 2X6 which pushed the motor up. You could use a jack.
    6. Pull out old mounts, replace with new.
    The most difficult part was getting the new mount lined up with the motor perfectly to put the long bolt back in. Just pushed and wiggled till it fit.
    A tool like the one used to measure ring size would probably help with the alignment.

Took us about 2 hours.

Made a noticeable difference--solid feel--smoother shifts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Easy Peasy!

Had fun doing this today Joe! Looking forward to the next job we tackle.

3. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    Please describe the feeling before the replacement.

4. ncm6cabrio

ncm6cabrio Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 28, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike M.
    Thanks for sharing! Did you decide to replace the mounts based on visual inspection or was there some other indicator?

5. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Interesting--I didn't know what it should "feel" like before putting on the new mounts--I bought the car with 12K mikes, and its always felt the same... Till now--but the change is noticeable, not what I'd call dramatic.

To the other poster, I had the car in at Ferrari of Tampa Bay for their free Tech Inspection ( something I recommend)......helped me!! Anyway, they showed me the mounts were failing by pushing up on the motor with a tranny-jack.

6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Joe , it looks awfully messy bro. So well done man.

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I thought the vibration was "normal" then I replaced mine and noticed an immediate reduction in vibration. Almost as smooth as my porsches... well maybe not. :) Agree on aligning things. I used a jack on mine to hold the engine up and it moved a tad until I could wrestle the mounts into place.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You are all mistaken. Those mounts do not go bad. People here have told me so and called me all manner of names because of it.

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
  10. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Just show those people the picture--it is real........and I think they go bad because they are located directly below the exhaust manifolds--with no heat shield(s).

11. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Good job and thanks for posting the details.

I just checked mine out when I had my Scud (almost 15k) up for a couple weeks and they looked fine, but now I'm wondering if I should "test" them with a bit more force.

Interesting thought about the manifolds and the heat.

12. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    That's right, and you did not replace my bad ones :)

13. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    Well sure, but what would you know?

;)

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    To be fair they go bad because they are a really lousy design and are made by the low bidder.

No one in their right mind mounts a motor like that.

15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    1. Everything Ferrari makes is the touched by the Pope perfection ;)
    2. Mounts on my 997 also needed replacement at 34,000 miles.. so low bidder is a way of life. I personally anticipate replacement like a new pair of underwear.
    3. The problem is with Urethane or other materials.. will the vibration transmitted to the aluminum body cause cracking as you noted in my 360 thread? Steel.. meh.. but aluminum seems to have less resilience to fatigue cracking when welded... any other options to mounts?

16. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the opinion as always. I was sitting here scratching my head as to why it was designed like that. Seems like it would allow twisting which would seem to lead to it separating in the middle exactly as shown.

Any aftermarket or other-make options for replacement?

17. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    So, how much vibration is normal. I have read, but do not know this as fact, that the mounts on the coupes are stiffer than the mounts for the spiders (not sure why this would be the case). I have a coup with a 6MT. With engine idling, no vibration in seats, dash, shifter.....(same as engine off) but, minor vibration on steering wheel. Car has 11K miles and as far as I can tell, has led a fairly low stress life. Interested in thoughts.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Never seen a 360/430/456/550/575 etc mount go 34000 miles.

Designing a mount to have a direct tension load is dumb. It should be under a shear load.

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No twisting there.

It would take a redesign of the car.

20. nsx_2k

nsx_2k Rookie

Apr 7, 2009
    Brian,

In your experience, how long do you typically see these engine mounts lasting under normal street use (ie. non-tracked car)?

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #21 Rifledriver, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    I would expect the updated mounts like those pictured to go about 25k or so. Time is a significant factor too. That rubber ages quickly just parked in the garage then cracks as shown. Many 308/328/BB365/BB512/TR still have their original mounts and those that were changed on the 12's were done for cosmetic reasons. None of them were a great design but were good quality parts.

Ferrari has really gone to extremes on cutting parts costs from subcontractors but they sure haven't cut the retail prices. The mark up at the manufacturers level even to the dealers is really eye opening.

I submitted a good article on the topic to a magazine but they were afraid of offending Ferrari even after being told it was a great idea so it never went to print. I had examples of Ferrari parts and like parts from other manufacturers. The working title was "Hall of Shame".

I have some great pictures for it but alas I can no longer post pictures.

22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ugh. Thanks again for the first hand experience. I'm happy to post pics for you if you would like. Sent you my email via PM.

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If the owner of the site doesn't want you to benefit from my information why would I do that?

I contribute enough. I sure as **** have no intention of paying money too.

24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    IMHO I don't know why he hasn't GIVEN you rosso membership.. you do provide so much for us in the peanut gallery..

25. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I hear yah man. Well I know I speak for many when I say we appreciate the time you do contribute and hope it continues.