430 Engine Bay Struts | FerrariChat

430 Engine Bay Struts

Discussion in '360/430' started by mountainman3520, Feb 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    I'm having a minor problem with my 430's engine bay struts.

I sometimes open the engine bay hatch after driving to let the engine cool. And also because I enjoy looking at the engine. :)

When I do this, the engine bay hatch opens perfectly, with the struts applying a bit of upward force, lifting the hatch with almost zero force. While its warm, I can easily open and close the hatch and the struts seem to work perfectly, applying a good amount of resistance. And they make a healthy strut sound, if you know what I mean.

But after leaving it open for an hour so everything is cooled off, when I then go back to close the hatch, the struts are not happy. They don't want to slide anymore so I have to push much harder than usual, and they make an unhappy sound. The friction inside the struts is too high at that point, like something inside is rubbing in a bad way. Maybe some rubber gaskets that don't have enough lubrication?

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Do the engine bay struts need lubrication? If so, what and how?

Do they need replaced? This was my first thought except they work so perfectly when warm.

2. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    Nobody else has any problems with their engine bay struts?

I looked the part up on Ricambi and they refer to this as the "Engine Bonnet", and these are the "Gas Springs", part 65855000. Looks like its the same part on both the 360 and 430. They are pretty inexpensive for a Ferrari part at $37 each. Makes me wonder if these are original or a substitute.

I searched generally online and found recommendations against attempting to lubricate them as it may ruin them. My guess is that some of the rubber or plastic parts inside designed to provide friction or resist airflow have gotten a bit old and hard, causing them to bind under some conditions of temperature and hence pressure.

If that is the case, it probably isn't fixable other than by replacing the struts.

Usually when I've had to replace struts like this it was because they no longer has sufficient resistance to hold the hood up when its cold. So this is a different failure mode. I would be nice to confirm this is common before going to the bother of buying and installing replacements.

3. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    No issues with mine--a 2005, but also curious if yours is a fluke? I too have had other cars lifts fail, but the mode is to no longer hold the hatch up!

4. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    My 2000 360 displays similar symptoms but I don't regard it as a problem, just a hot/cold dynamic. No biggie for me.

5. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    Yeah, I guess I'm being a bit nit picky. I can't help it. If replacing the struts would eliminate this minor issue, I'd do it. But maybe new ones would behave the same way.

I've run a few tests multiple times and most scenarios do not show the problem.
    - open cold, close cold: works perfectly
    - open hot, close hot: works perfectly
    - open hot, wait until it cools, close cold: struts stick and closely with difficult making squeaky friction sounds

I thought of one more scenario that I should test. Open cold, wait a few hours, and close cold. I think it will work perfectly, but that's speculation. If that test also shows the struts have stuck then the issue may have nothing to do with temperature and instead be that if the engine bay hatch is left open for a long period such as 1+ hours then the struts stick.

6. HJZ360

HJZ360 Karting

Nov 27, 2017
    Weslaco, Texas
    Full Name:
    Harold John Zurlo
    What is the correct position of the struts? On mine one has chamber down and other chamber up. Noticed this yesterday after work having a beer and admiring "Sophia"

7. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I do the same thing after I drive my 430. When I pull into the garage I raise the engine bay cover and let the things cool off.
    Right now the temperatures are close to 90 degrees where I live and the engine bay gets super hot.
    WD40 is the answer to your problems. The struts get a little cranky after things cool off, but I spray some WD40 on a rag and
    lubricate the towers. I think you will find that an occasional lubrication will keep things moving properly.

8. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    WD40?
    Why would you use a cleaning solvent on the gas strut rods?
    You risk damaging the seals.
    and
    WD40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT, though many people think so. It is a Water Displacement compound (experimental compound #40) that also works as a fair solvent.

old thread, but to the OP, PV=nRT.

Ciao

9. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Sometimes certian oils or lubricants which can also include solvents can cause either swelling or cracking of rubber seals or grommets. I would recommend a light silicon spray, then raise and lower a few times to help work it in.

10. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    Thanks for the heads up on the WD40. I might have destroyed my car! (-: I would imagine either silicone or some light motor oil (Agip) wiped on the strut would be the ticket.