430 lower mesh filter | FerrariChat

430 lower mesh filter

Discussion in '360/430' started by SIF1, May 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SIF1

SIF1 Rookie

Apr 6, 2013
    NJ
    In regards to the lower mesh filter screen which is accessible after removing the four bolts and plate under the main drain plug I was wondering if this screen /filter is being changed in most oil changes. I have noticed both from dealer and indy's on my oil change receipts only the main oil filter and copper washers on both plugs have been changed. In my next oil change I want to change that mesh filter, but am not sure if it is necessary and why it seems it is not routinely changed.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If you look in the wsm it is supposed to be changed. You are correct that many Indy and dealers do not change them...but many do. I believe some are not doing it since we drive car very little and usually change oil annually with a few hundred maybe few thousand miles on it and the dirt just doesn't accumulate. Grit , shavings, dirt will occur over miles not time.

If you haven't done it in 7-8k miles, or if it has never been done .. I would highly consider changing it

Let us know what it look like and how many miles was on it

The other filter that is often missed is the one in the gear box.... That one should be cleaned every time since I have seen that getting dirty quicker

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

For the sake of completeness, I think the filter Dominick is referring to is this one: 182100 filter and the gasket 182119 o-ring

flash32 likes this.
  4. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    The mesh filter screen is typically cleaned and reinstalled. If it is damaged in any way either by removing or cleaning, then it must be replaced

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The gearbox filter is pretty robust and costly so I would recommend try cleaning first but use a new o-ring as mentioned above

The motor oil screen is filmsy and not costly so I just replace it

Imho

6. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey

Per the workshop manual page 4 of 6 of file uploaded.........

"Proceed with the cleaning by dipping the filter in a degreasing solution then drying it with compressed air. Take
    care not to damage the mesh; If any tears are found in the filtering element, the filter must be replaced."

Attached Files:

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thank you clarifying that ...

I still feel for 7 dollars or so I just order one and not fuss with cleaning the one in car ..then if breaks stuck till I get a replacement

Just worth to me .. but you are correct cleaning will work just the same

Thanks