430 Mile Drive | FerrariChat

430 Mile Drive

Discussion in '348/355' started by jgriff, Dec 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Took my 355 from Houston to Austin and back this weekend. Didn’t have a single issue. We had stop and go traffic on I-10 for 45 minutes on the way back followed by a torrential downpour for the next 30 minutes. It rained so hard I thought we might be flooded. The car took it all in stride. There was a slight leak on the driver’s side window when it got really bad but not more than a few drops.

V8ray, Berning, WATSON and 3 others like this.
  2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Ata boy.
    They were built to be driven.

Bertil likes this.
  3. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Im so spoiled / lazy from all my others cars, that the lack of cruise control bothers me on long highway drives.

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Nice trip

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Meh.

Old school it.

Wedge your foot between the loud peddle and the center console.

WATSON likes this.
  6. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Great that you are driving the car on longer trips. But on what car club website would people celebrate driving 430 miles without a problem? I don't mean to pick on you for your post and your post might just posting your trip experience, but it seems when people drive 200 miles or more without taking their complete tool box with them and the car does not break down, we all celebrate. Could this be one reason F355s have a reliability image problem?

Robin and ricmat like this.
  7. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    My thoughts precisely....
    Every weekend I typically drive 300/400 miles on my Porsche. I would be going crazy if I had to keep thinking if something would go wrong..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    It’s a 20 year old car. I wouldn't be surprised if there were issues with a 20 year old Toyota on a long trip. We were in stop and go traffic for 45 minutes, that kills older cars quite often in Texas heat.

9. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    I'm grateful for your post. Reinforcement of 355 built quality and reliability (after 20+ yrs) can't be a bad thing.

10. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    As strange as it sounds, that trip was better than any tune up you could have done. These cars just work better when you drive them, the harder the better.

11. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    OK guys so OP has a few punctuation errors in his post that’s why it’s hard to read. I went ahead and filled them in. Below is the version OP intended . :)

Took my 355 Spyder from Houston to Austin and back this weekend. Cruised all the way in 6th gear. Tach at 5000 rpm. Too bad I didn’t see another Ferrari on the road. We had stop and go traffic on I-10 for 45 minutes on the way back followed by a torrential downpour for the next 30 minutes. It rained so hard other motorists pulled their cars to the shoulder and parked. Mine took it all in stride and trekked effortlessly through a layer of water on the ground at 70 mph. There was a slight noise from rain droplets pounding on the hood but wasn’t enough to drown out the amazing sound coming from the engine. This car is amazing. She is a beauty like my girlfriend. Never gonna sell it for any price. Maybe for $500k when I get too old to drive. :)

Berning and WATSON like this.
  12. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    My Triumph Website? ;) ;) ;)

audi_328 likes this.
  13. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I used to have a TR6. Not a great endorsement for reliability.

14. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    I would hope that driving for a tank and a half of gas wouldn't result in any issues.

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I for one enjoy these posts simply becasue they happen all the time but all we see is the issues.
    If more would post these trips less people would think that the cars all ways have problems.