430 Scud vs F12 | FerrariChat

430 Scud vs F12

Discussion in '360/430' started by rockitman, Mar 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Funny question I know....completely different cars. He's the story...I have a 458 Italia I love and is not going anywhere. The original plan was to get a V12 for the stable to keep the V8 company. I'm looking at a net cost depending on options of $350-$375k after tax for an F12 with low miles. There are low mile scuds in the $259K range. Here's a link to one of the scuds I'm interested in...
    Ferrari 430 Scuderia | eBay

What would you do...buy a scud or an F12 ? I cant do both.

2. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Hi Christian. You may remember me from the 458 forum. Several months ago I decided to sell my 458 and buy a scud. Don't regret that decision at all and have been 100% satisfied ever since. In your situation, maybe it makes more sense to go for the F12 since you already have a mid engine v8 ferrari. Though I would still urge you test drive a scud if you can...you may not look at your 458 the same again (even the speciale doesn't compare IMO). I guess the question is, what are you missing from your 458 that you hope a scud/f12 will fulfill?

Racerjohn likes this.
  3. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Tough one. I've been trying to decide between getting another V8 mid-engined Fcar or a V12 grand touring Fcar (albeit older models of each). I was thinking that the V8 makes sense because my favorite cars are smaller sports cars. Then again, I was thinking a V12 would be great b/c I don't have one now and it would be nice for longer trips. In the end, I decided I was a sports car guy at heart and I'd stick with them.

Good luck with your decision. As people will say, can't go wrong with either choice.

4. db1

db1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    Hi,

In my opinion the F12 and 458 overlap in terms of sophistication, gearbox and interior "feel". The Scuderia is a completely different car, it is much more raw, noisy and feels much more exciting at lower speeds, whilst still having a wide performance range. I was fortunate to have a go in a F430 racecar as a passenger and the feel of that car was much closer to the Scuderia than I expected. The gearbox is one of the highlights and gives a real kick compared to the much smoother new gearbox.

However the F12 I think has a sense of occasion that comes from a traditional front engined Ferrari. It is significantly faster than a Scuderia, but that is irrelevant unless you are on a track.

So, in summary it really depends what sort of driving experience you are looking for to complement the 458.

5. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Not an easy decision...Thanks for the input fella's. So far, the Scud has more rarity, cheaper cost and would be a totally different driving experience (raw) compared to the 458 or F12. Hmmm.

6. db1

db1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    I guess if you are looking for shorter, sharper, exciting drives I would pick the Scuderia. If you want something to drive coast to coast an F12 would be much better. Having said that I think you could also probably do the long drive in a 458 quite comfortably.

In fact I don't think you would enjoy it much in the Scuderia, and certainly your passenger is unlikely to unless they are a car enthusiast. Have you driven a Scuderia yet?

7. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    No Scud experience...The closest RAW car I have owned was a Porsche 996GT3.

8. db1

db1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    Its hard to describe the drive precisely, I would recommend trying one before you decide. I haven't driven a 996 GT3, but from recollection they do have some semblance of sound insulation and a carpet! (not sure 100%). The Scud has next to nothing and no carpets so you can imagine the noise and "rawness" this would give you.

9. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Scud > any modern 911 (and I've owned everything from 911 turbo to GT3RS)

Nothing against porsche, in fact I still own a 991, but they just serve a different purpose.

Have you driven a F12? I found the 458 to be a bit to GTish...havn't driven a F12, but I'm guessing it's even more so. Though I imagine it sounds better than the 458.

10. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    F12 is a GT car, but it is by no means a country club cruiser. It is insanely quick and has very sharp steering. Still, it is the bigger car.

11. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #11 freshmeat, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    458 + F12 sounds like an amazing combo!

Value proposition: 458 is going to continue depreciating. Replacing the 458 with a Scuderia or maybe even a Speciale would make for better economics!

Driving experience proposition: 458 & F12 are both essentially cut from the same cloth/dna. Both are engineered and designed from a very specific era at Ferrari, sharing a lot of common tech, and so have a very relatable driving experience. Not the same driving experience, but getting in and out of one or the other it's clear they are of the same lineage and so have certain common behavioral traits. In that regard, something like a Scuderia, which is from a different era, different tech, different philosophy will probably offer a more unique experience.

Displacement proposition: V12, nuff said. 458 + Scuderia doesn't make sense to me, so if the 458 must stay, I'd get the F12 in addition.

12. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    the F12 is a Big Car in the US you are probably ok but on European roads NOT. Just like the 991 GT3RS is a FAB track car but on European roads you are better off with a 991 GT3

13. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    For what it's worth I really like the idea of an F12 some day but I won't be replacing the Scud with a 458.

14. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Sell the 458 for the Scud and also buy the F12. You would have the best of both worlds. A v-12 Fcar and a RAW V-8 which was much more rare than a 458. Just my opinion though!

15. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    I didn't want to be the one to say it, but that really would be the ideal combo.

16. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ^^^I have to agree.

17. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I love my 458...it is spec'd exactly how I want it so it's not going anywhere.

Here's my next question...I'm 6'7"...as you can imagine, it's tight for me in a Ferrari. How does the cabin room of a 430 Scud compare to 458 Italia ? Is there at least as much headroom as the 458 with race seats ?

18. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    No F12 driving experience. I'm blaming you for my current quandry...;)
    I read your great thread on moving from 458 to 430 Scud, hence my renewed interest in a scud.

19. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    :D

I think that thread may have sold a few people on the scud lol

I did not notice any difference in headroom going from the 458 to scud. My 458 had the race seats as well and I'm 6'0".

20. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    all right... another barrier to the Scud broken down....

Thoughts in this car fella's ? It's at Lambo Long Island...
    Ferrari 430 Scuderia | eBay

21. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Price seems a bit high and not liking the 5 owners. Otherwise seems ok. Check for fading of the engine bay carbon panels, clutch life, and spider webbing in the headlights. Are you planning to see it in person?

Black Horse Motors has a similar car with less miles. Theres also a really clean scud for sale in the classifieds forum as well.

22. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yes...3 hour drive for me to check it out. I wonder if a Lambo dealer is going to have that info on clutch wear, ect. rocketman's listing is another option that I could drive and see...
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferraris/495590-2008-scuderia-exceptional.html

Now it's just a matter of deciding what direction to go...scud or f12. Scud certainly seems like it gives a lot of thrills for $100k less.

Do 430's require engine out service like 360's at some point ?

23. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I wouldn't worry about multiple owners. Scuds are cars that, until recently, changed hands a lot. Mine had 3-4 previous owners and it's been great over the past 2 years I've driven it.

24. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Since I haven't driven one, how does if differ from the 458 experience ...mainly shifting ? I just watched an in car vid of a 430 under acceleration...the shifting sounds more rambunctious for lack of a better expression. Any good YouTube links for in car scud driving ?

25. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    woah...how do you fit your 458? but if you can fit in your 458, you will fit the Scuderia, the 458 is 1mm shorter than a Scuderia and the race seats are identical in both cars just with different upholstery.