430 Scuderia broken exhaust manifold head studs | Page 3 | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia broken exhaust manifold head studs

Discussion in '360/430' started by dwe8922, May 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    When checking my 430 manifolds with a magnet I can confirm they are made with 3 different versions of stainless steel.

2. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    To resurface this thread, I replaced a missing header bolt and the tick still remains. Next step will be to check the interface between the manifold and Aftermarket Cats. Last step will be to remove the manifold and machine them.

Any ideas on how to mount these suckers to machine? I’ll be using a Bridgeport but am clueless on how to mount them.

3. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Mounting them will be tricky especially considering the heat shields. I have seen manifolds done on a machine that has a flat bed with a flat circular grindstone in the centre that adjusts up and down. Don't know what it's called though. You simply slide the manifold along by hand taking little cuts till flat.

4. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Ah yes. I’ve seen it at the Chris Reeves Knives manufacturer facility. I believe it’s called a surface grinder.

5. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That's how I did mine. We call it a linisher.

6. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I don’t quite have that. I have a Bridgeport and a lathe but I don’t think either fits a manifold. Anyone has any ideas how to machine on a mill? Some people are saying sandpaper and a granite table. Seems iffy.

7. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I had the same issue as you: mounting was too tricky. If you have access to a belt sander it will work, but the belt must be long enough to sand the entire flange. Use fine grit to finish.

8. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    The machine shop I was referred to said it would take too much time to mount the headers to machine them. They referred me to another shop to belt sand them, which is what I ultimately did. Both shops have a great reputation in the central Florida area, and both owners seemed to respect each other.